Post-Amp- Is This Normal?

Guest LokisMom

Guest LokisMom

Ok, I am getting this 2nd hand so bear with me. Sally(dads gh) had her amp surgery Wednesday. They released her to my dad Friday evening. He called this mroning and said she had started screaming repeatedly about midnight. They gave her another pain pill(tramadol) but she kept screaming periodically and shaking so they took her to the evet who gave her a shot of painkiller(don't know what kind) and she stayed there until the surgery center opened.

They took her to the surgery center first thing this morning and they decided to keep her at least until Monday. They applied another pain patch, determined she was dehydrated and have her on a morphine drip and iv fluids for the dehydration.

I'm just worried and wanted to know from those who have been thru amp surgery, is this standard? Is there anything else he can do?

I don't have personal experience, but from being in the osteo thread, it seems as though the experience post-surgery varies greatly. Some do better being discharged as soon as possible, like Berkeley, and some benefit from spending several days to a week post surgery at the hospital for careful monitoring of pain and anxiety. It sounds to me like maybe she had fallen asleep, and the pain woke her and she freaked out because she was still foggy from sleep and drugs, and couldn't get up as she normally would to re-situate herself and go back to sleep.

I hope she feels better soon :goodluck

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Ok, I am getting this 2nd hand so bear with me. Sally(dads gh) had her amp surgery Wednesday. They released her to my dad Friday evening. He called this mroning and said she had started screaming repeatedly about midnight. They gave her another pain pill(tramadol) but she kept screaming periodically and shaking so they took her to the evet who gave her a shot of painkiller(don't know what kind) and she stayed there until the surgery center opened.

They took her to the surgery center first thing this morning and they decided to keep her at least until Monday. They applied another pain patch, determined she was dehydrated and have her on a morphine drip and iv fluids for the dehydration.

I'm just worried and wanted to know from those who have been thru amp surgery, is this standard? Is there anything else he can do?

This actually doesn't sound that uncommon to me. That is why OSU likes to keep them longer than other dogs (usually 3 to 5 days post amp). The screaming and shaking was likely caused by pain and/or "freaking out" that her leg wasn't there (she may have tried to get up and then realized that her leg was gone). OSU keeps them very doped up for the first few days and confined to a crate so they are less likely to try to get up on their own. They do get them up on a regular schedule and encourage them to walk so they realize that they still can.

The dehydration likely occured simply because she wasn't drinking. She may have an upset stomach. Also, remind your Dad to keep a bowl of water within reach so she doesn't have to get up or move much to get a drink. If she still doesn't want to drink when she comes home, he can syringe water into her mouth.

Your Dad should expect occasional cries in the middle of the night for the first week or two. However, the crying shouldn't be for more than a few seconds or minutes. I found that splitting the tramadol into smaller but more doses helped. In other words, instead of two tablets every 8 hours, I would do a tablet every 4 hours. I would set my alarm so this was consistent. Be sure to check with your vet before doing this though.

Shaking and panting (but not the crying) could also be due to a reaction to tramadol or other opiate like pain killer.

Also, ask the vet what is the maximum dosage of her pain killers. This way, he can increase the dosage if necessary.

edited to add: Have him feed her canned food with extra water. Also he can give her home made broth (without salt) to drink. This will help her stay hydrated.

Edited by joejoesmom

I have to agree with Jane. Keeping a pup doped up for first few days is a good thing. It's possible she did not have enough pain meds in her as they do start to wear off and if one does not keep ahead of the curve, it's too late by then to give them another pill. The IV pain meds given by the hospital are much faster to take affect as well. It can also be phantom pain that some pups get and can have a for a while after amp. Considering the severity of the surgery one has to consider all the nerves that were cut and how they need to mend. I hope Sally does better when she's back out of the hospital on Monday.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Totally normal. And could last for about 2 weeks so tell him to be prepared. The pain patches sometimes will make greys react that way. Seemed like it always happened in the night. Zinger loved popcicles so he got as many as he wanted.

P.S. I have a Loki, too, but he is a cat!

Edited by packmom

Guest lynne893

As someone else said, they may also want to be sure she's on an anti-anxiety med to help her through this rough patch.

I'm sorry your family is going through this.

Love and hugs and hoping his girl gets better!

Guest LokisMom

Thank you all so much! This is our first experience with amputation and we are both very nervous! Me more so because I am states away and can't even help.

Packmom, my Loki acts like a cat most of the time. We joke he is a cat in dogs clothes ;)

My polli who had an amp would scream and I mean blood curdling scream for 15- 20 minutes at a time late at night after er amp. 10mg of Valium helped. It was so pitiful.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest Greyhoundartist

Hi-

Just went through amp surgery for my boy Perry less than 4 weeks ago.

The patch causes some strange behaviors, the vet should have explained some of these.

Usually within a few days these side effects will subside. My boy did not want to eat while on the patch. (I gave him babyfood with high carbs and protein). After the patch came off his appetite came back slowly.

It is sometimes traumatic for us to watch our Hound Kidz go through this.

Usually they will adapt and do very well. Just make sure to have rugs (no slippery surfaces) while they adjust.

If I can help further, please let me know-

Kevin Z.

Edited by Greyhoundartist

Also want to add that she did not have the patch. Deramaxx, tramadol antiiotics and Valium.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest azlorenz

Hi-

Just went through amp surgery for my boy Perry less than 4 weeks ago.

The patch causes some strange behaviors, the vet should have explained some of these.

Usually within a few days these side effects will subside. My boy did not want to eat while on the patch. (I gave him babyfood with high carbs and protein). After the patch came off his appetite came back slowly.

It is sometimes traumatic for us to watch our Hound Kidz go through this.

Usually they will adapt and do very well. Just make sure to have rugs (no slippery surfaces) while they adjust.

If I can help further, please let me know-

Kevin Z.

I have to agree with Kevin. Our experience was pretty much the same. Flash was on the Fentynal patch and I told them we never wanted to see one of those again.

Guest LokisMom

Hopefully the patch is the problem as it came off today or comes off tomorrow. Dads text was a tad unclear. She is out of the bandage but in a tshirt because she won't leave the staples alone. Dad says she seems much better compared to Friday but they haven't had a whole night together yet. We shall see how tonight goes. She has always been quite the drama queen so I wouldn't be surprised if she milks this for all its worth. She knows dad is wrapped around her little paw ;)