Balding Rapidly . . .

Kevin's fur is falling out rapidly. It has been about 4 weeks since it started. It began on his feet, spread up his legs and now is on his body.

At first he was licking his feet and legs. We went to the vet and saw a vet new to the practice. He said allergies and prescribed an anti-histimine. When we gave it to him he got very hyper. Vet said give half a dose as needed. We never did give it to him. After a week he stopped licking except for maybe a couple minutes once or twice a day. That licking is always his feet/lower legs. So, when the hair loss spread to his body we took him to the vet (our regular vet). I expressed my concern that it could be mites. He did skin scrapings, fur samples, and blood tests. We are waiting to hear on everything except the mites. None found.

The vet said he doubts it is ringworm. He believes it is hypothyroidism. Kev is new to us (6months) and has only had wellness checks and his annual. No bloodwork has been done yet so the levels will be the first we have for him.

Can anyone think of something else this could be? Also, could someone refresh my memory as to normal thyroid levels for a grey? He is healthy other than fighting an ongoing battle with hookworms, which is improving.

Thank you in advance to all who reply.

finalsiggy.jpg

Guest BreezeyBoy

We've had our grey, Breeze, for going on 4 years. Last Summer he started to experience something similar with his feet - was licking at them incessentaly and the hair was thinning because of all the licking. It was initially treated as if he was having a reaction to something he got into but it did not get better - in fact started to get worse - so the vet ran more tests and did some research and in the end came to the conclusion that he is suffering from Vasculopathy which is a disorder of the blood vessels (constriction and not adequate blood flow) which caused his feet to "itch". We have been treating him since last Fall with a human drug called pentoxifylline (400 mg twice a day for a 76 lb dog) as well as Prednisone (a steroid). Within one week of starting him on the drug his feet showed dedfinite improvement and the constant licking he was doing (which had led to open sores as well as the hair loss) stopped and his feet healed. However, we have continued to see hair loss on his legs and haunches, as well as now we're seeing some darkening/discoloration of his skin and we're trying to determine if this is tied to the disease or the drug or is normal for Greys... I don't know if your dog is experiencing the same thing - but perhaps something to talk to your vet about as another avenue to pursue with what's going on with him?

In addition, this past Spring Breeze started to experience severe seizures. The vet has run tests but it is inconclusive as to what is causing the seizures - whether it's tied to the disease, the drug or something completely unrelated. We now have him on Phenobarbitol in addition to the other two drugs to keep the seizures at bay. I'm in the process of trying to locate another vet in the area (Seattle) who specializes in greyhounds to take a full look at his history and see if they have any other thoughts or recommendations related to what he has experienced in the last year.

The hardest part is since he started having his seizures and went on the phenobarbitol he's become a very different dog. Anxious, needy, super thirsty and very very very hungry all the time (to the point he's starting to get a bit destructive). I'm on a search for information from anybody who might have insight to this type of experience and recommendations on what we might do to help him.

Wouldn't hurt to do a test. If you do, make sure it is a premium panel with fT4ed (FT4 by equlibrium dialysis) and TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) from a reputable lab such as Michigan State University or Idexx.

That said .... Is he actually going bald in spots? Which ones? Reason I ask is, the weather has our Gidget shedding like a sheepdog right now. Unlike many greyhounds, she has a lot of hair so I don't really expect much/any baldness but I have had other greyhounds with normal health who tended to have bald tummies, thighs, throats, backs of ears in the warmer months.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

We've had our grey, Breeze, for going on 4 years. Last Summer he started to experience something similar with his feet - was licking at them incessentaly and the hair was thinning because of all the licking. It was initially treated as if he was having a reaction to something he got into but it did not get better - in fact started to get worse - so the vet ran more tests and did some research and in the end came to the conclusion that he is suffering from Vasculopathy which is a disorder of the blood vessels (constriction and not adequate blood flow) which caused his feet to "itch". We have been treating him since last Fall with a human drug called pentoxifylline (400 mg twice a day for a 76 lb dog) as well as Prednisone (a steroid). Within one week of starting him on the drug his feet showed dedfinite improvement and the constant licking he was doing (which had led to open sores as well as the hair loss) stopped and his feet healed. However, we have continued to see hair loss on his legs and haunches, as well as now we're seeing some darkening/discoloration of his skin and we're trying to determine if this is tied to the disease or the drug or is normal for Greys... I don't know if your dog is experiencing the same thing - but perhaps something to talk to your vet about as another avenue to pursue with what's going on with him?

In addition, this past Spring Breeze started to experience severe seizures. The vet has run tests but it is inconclusive as to what is causing the seizures - whether it's tied to the disease, the drug or something completely unrelated. We now have him on Phenobarbitol in addition to the other two drugs to keep the seizures at bay. I'm in the process of trying to locate another vet in the area (Seattle) who specializes in greyhounds to take a full look at his history and see if they have any other thoughts or recommendations related to what he has experienced in the last year.

The hardest part is since he started having his seizures and went on the phenobarbitol he's become a very different dog. Anxious, needy, super thirsty and very very very hungry all the time (to the point he's starting to get a bit destructive). I'm on a search for information from anybody who might have insight to this type of experience and recommendations on what we might do to help him.

Side effects of the drug phenobarbital are excessive thirst and hunger. You might try feeding him several small meals during the day to keep the hunger at bay and a snack before bed time. This side effect should decrease the longer he is on the medication.

Wouldn't hurt to do a test. If you do, make sure it is a premium panel with fT4ed (FT4 by equlibrium dialysis) and TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) from a reputable lab such as Michigan State University or Idexx.

That said .... Is he actually going bald in spots? Which ones? Reason I ask is, the weather has our Gidget shedding like a sheepdog right now. Unlike many greyhounds, she has a lot of hair so I don't really expect much/any baldness but I have had other greyhounds with normal health who tended to have bald tummies, thighs, throats, backs of ears in the warmer months.

My dogs are losing hair like crazy this year because of the hot summer. I've got two on thyroid medication at this time and they're not shedding as much as the others.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Breezy, your dog could use a thyroid test too. Losing hair, ravenous appetite, darkening skin, and seizures can all be tied to hypothyroidism. If it is thyroid, he can be weened off the prednisone as his thyroid function normalizes.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Guest greytexplorer

ACK! It could also be an auto-immune issue! Ask your vet about that possibility, too, at your next visit.

Pat

Is it hair loss or hair thinning on the body? Are there large bare spots or is it uniformly thin?

This could still be sensitivity/allergy to some food or maybe pollen. If I was in your shoes the simplest thing would be to try a bland diet with meat (not chicken unless you get diarrhea on the meat and then you would switch to the chicken), rice, and veggies for a few weeks and see if it improves. I would also add 1 fish oil capsule daily.

A second thought, what does your greyhound lie on? Any chance that the material of the dog bed or the detergent that was used to clean it may be causing some irritation?

As others suggested, check the thyroid also.

Guest greytexplorer

crap, went back and re-read your post some more.

the darkening/discoloration in the legs is what Ester has (please read my current thread about Ester).

She has low platelet count. Very low. That is what causes the darkening. It's bruising.

GO IMMEDIATELY TO YOUR VET AND HAVE THEM RUN BLOODWORK. Do check the thyroid, but also check the platelets.

If the platelets are low, have them do a clot time.

Gotta go get Ester from the vet right now.

She's been there all day on IV fluids and prednisone.

GOOD LUCK!

Pat

OK, in my haste, I got Breeze and AEB mixed up. Sorry for the confusion.

Pat :blush

Wow, thank you all for all the input! The vet is running what I believe is a more extensive thyroid test but I won't know for sure until I talk to him again, which is most likely Tuesday. I think he is also looking at some other factors but it's too hot outside to remember what. I guess I am concerned about knowing what are the normal greyhound levels so that I know where he falls.

His hair is super thin on his bald spots which include legs (maybe one layer of fur). It is spreading up onto the front of his shoulders. This is all uniform loss. Then it gets spotty on his haunches (a patch of hair then more hair loss). He is bald all the way up the back of his legs and his hair on the back of his haunches (butt) is very thin but not bald with some longer hair remaining. He also has spots developing on his sides, his back toward his tail, and in front of his ears. An overall his coat has thinned tremendously and he had nice bunny fur after being with us awhile. This is sudden.

He does not constantly lick- just a couple times a day for a short duration. And he's losing hair in places he does not lick.

He eats Honest kitchen (a dehydrated raw food) with hamburger. Nothing has changed about his diet since January.

There was a lot to respond to- did I miss anything?

finalsiggy.jpg

Guest d0ggiem0mma

The regular test vets run, T4, will look very low for a greyhound but that doesn't mean anything. Unless you do a FULL thyroid sendout panel to Michigan State including a free T4, T3, and most importantly TSH you won't really know anything. I would advise submitting your hound's thyroid panel results to Dr. Couto for a consult before starting any meds.

Contact Information for Thyroid Panel:

Animal Health Diagnostics Laboratory

P.O. Box 30076

Lansing, MI 48909

(517) 353-0621

Thyroid is a hot button issue on this board. I'm in the camp that sides with Dr. Couto. He literally wrote the book on greyhounds and is generally considered the #1 expert on the breed in the world. This is the statement on thyroid issues in greyhounds, taken directly from their website: https://greyhound.osu.edu/resources/freeresources/makingsenselabwork/index.cfm

A final blood work component worth mentioning that is not included in a standard biochemical profile is a thyroid hormone concentration (level). Thyroid hormones play a large role in metabolism. In contrast with cats, where hyperthyroidism is relatively common, thyroid hormone concentrations are rarely high in dogs. Low thyroid hormone concentration can be associated with hypothyroidism, or any systemic illness. Most normal Greyhounds have mildly to markedly decreased thyroid hormone concentrations, and their values are commonly below the reference range for dogs; therefore, people frequently treat their Greyhounds with thyroid hormone replacement (supplementation), although their thyroid function is normal for the breed. In other words, thyroid hormone supplementation should not be used in a healthy Greyhound on account of a “low thyroid level” (see below).

Common signs of hypothyroidism in dogs include lethargy, weight gain, alopecia (loss of hair), dry skin and haircoat, cold intolerance, and neurologic signs such as incoordination. One of the difficulties in assessing the clinical signs of hypothyroidism in Greyhounds is that Greyhounds normally have many of those signs. Most Greyhounds are couch potatoes (apart from a

good run in the backyard) and are normally fairly inactive dogs. Furthermore, most Greyhounds are normally intolerant of the cold and many show signs of alopecia in their thighs (thigh alopecia is very rarely related to hypothyroidism). Therefore, a full thyroid panel should be done on any dog (especially any Greyhound) prior to starting therapy as treatment is lifelong and unnecessary supplementation may harm your pet.

A full thyroid panel includes the following tests: total T4, free T4 by equilibrium dialysis (ED), total T3, free T3, thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH), T4 autoantibody, T3 autoantibody, and thyroglobulin autoantibody. All of these tests give a complete view of the thyroid gland and aid in interpretation of the results. The Animal Health Diagnostic Laboratory at Michigan State University performs a complete panel and will give interpretation by the endocrinologists who have extensive knowledge of a Greyhound’s normal thyroid concentrations.

Does not sound like allergies at all to me; allergies on their own don't cause hair to fall out. Hair might appear to be lost with severe allergies but that would be due to constant licking and scratching.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

The regular test vets run, T4, will look very low for a greyhound but that doesn't mean anything. Unless you do a FULL thyroid sendout panel to Michigan State including a free T4, T3, and most importantly TSH you won't really know anything. I would advise submitting your hound's thyroid panel results to Dr. Couto for a consult before starting any meds.

Contact Information for Thyroid Panel:

Animal Health Diagnostics Laboratory

P.O. Box 30076

Lansing, MI 48909

(517) 353-0621

Thyroid is a hot button issue on this board. I'm in the camp that sides with Dr. Couto. He literally wrote the book on greyhounds and is generally considered the #1 expert on the breed in the world. This is the statement on thyroid issues in greyhounds, taken directly from their website: https://greyhound.os...bwork/index.cfm

A final blood work component worth mentioning that is not included in a standard biochemical profile is a thyroid hormone concentration (level). Thyroid hormones play a large role in metabolism. In contrast with cats, where hyperthyroidism is relatively common, thyroid hormone concentrations are rarely high in dogs. Low thyroid hormone concentration can be associated with hypothyroidism, or any systemic illness. Most normal Greyhounds have mildly to markedly decreased thyroid hormone concentrations, and their values are commonly below the reference range for dogs; therefore, people frequently treat their Greyhounds with thyroid hormone replacement (supplementation), although their thyroid function is normal for the breed. In other words, thyroid hormone supplementation should not be used in a healthy Greyhound on account of a "low thyroid level" (see below).

Common signs of hypothyroidism in dogs include lethargy, weight gain, alopecia (loss of hair), dry skin and haircoat, cold intolerance, and neurologic signs such as incoordination. One of the difficulties in assessing the clinical signs of hypothyroidism in Greyhounds is that Greyhounds normally have many of those signs. Most Greyhounds are couch potatoes (apart from a

good run in the backyard) and are normally fairly inactive dogs. Furthermore, most Greyhounds are normally intolerant of the cold and many show signs of alopecia in their thighs (thigh alopecia is very rarely related to hypothyroidism). Therefore, a full thyroid panel should be done on any dog (especially any Greyhound) prior to starting therapy as treatment is lifelong and unnecessary supplementation may harm your pet.

A full thyroid panel includes the following tests: total T4, free T4 by equilibrium dialysis (ED), total T3, free T3, thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH), T4 autoantibody, T3 autoantibody, and thyroglobulin autoantibody. All of these tests give a complete view of the thyroid gland and aid in interpretation of the results. The Animal Health Diagnostic Laboratory at Michigan State University performs a complete panel and will give interpretation by the endocrinologists who have extensive knowledge of a Greyhound's normal thyroid concentrations.

Thank you! This is the information I remembered. I can now discuss all of the tests with my vet.

I have never seen this kind of hair loss. He is losing square inches each day.

finalsiggy.jpg

Guest greytexplorer

In the event that it's not a thyroid issue, ask your vet about Amitriptyline (Elavil).

It's my vet's drug of choice when treating a dog that incessantly licks paws, whether due to itch or behavior.

UPDATE: The vet left a message tonight- I missed his call but should be able to get in touch with him tomorrow. Negative on the ringworm and also the thyroid panel looked pretty normal but he mentioned one value he wants to talk to me about, but he did not say which one.

The problem is he only licks himself maybe twice a day for a minute or so. He's not super itchy, not totally without any itchiness. He is, however, losing hair all over now. He has lost much of what is on his back and sides.

I have no idea what is going on. I will update tomorrow.

finalsiggy.jpg

My boy Lazer went thru Massive hair loss early this year, in Utah, while it was still really cold out! he was running a temp. all very strange. he also had severe itching

He also was very Stiff and limping , stretching a lot, and off his food.

He was on a week or so of antibiotics for a skin infection,, got rid of the itching but everything else was still off.

My vet concluded auto-immune issues

possibly auto-immune poly arthritis.

He then went on a low dose of Pred. He perked right up. started eating, and drinking more (side effect that was welcome) the stiffness, and soreness seemed to go away, and within a week, his fur was not falling out anymore

now several months later, he is starting down that road again. we are about to do another round of pred. he might have to be on a low dose for a long time ---

good luck with your boy! it's hard when they are off, and have weird issues, and no cause is immediately found.

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

My boy Lazer went thru Massive hair loss early this year, in Utah, while it was still really cold out! he was running a temp. all very strange. he also had severe itching

He also was very Stiff and limping , stretching a lot, and off his food.

He was on a week or so of antibiotics for a skin infection,, got rid of the itching but everything else was still off.

My vet concluded auto-immune issues

possibly auto-immune poly arthritis.

He then went on a low dose of Pred. He perked right up. started eating, and drinking more (side effect that was welcome) the stiffness, and soreness seemed to go away, and within a week, his fur was not falling out anymore

now several months later, he is starting down that road again. we are about to do another round of pred. he might have to be on a low dose for a long time ---

good luck with your boy! it's hard when they are off, and have weird issues, and no cause is immediately found.

Another update. Vet said the one value that was a little low was his T4 at .9 (normal range of 1.0-?). Anyhow his free T4 and TSH were in the normal range. So the vet thinks that with the history of pustules and the itching it's likely a skin infection that never got knocked-out by the original 2 weeks of anti-biotics. He says he'd like to put him on a round of anti-biotics and watch to see if the hair stops pulling out. If it does he'll treat for another week or so. If it doesn't it's off to the doggie dermatologist.

Lazer's issues do sound similar. I hope your boy is doing well!

finalsiggy.jpg

Hope the antibiotics do the trick!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest LindsaySF
So the vet thinks that with the history of pustules and the itching it's likely a skin infection that never got knocked-out by the original 2 weeks of anti-biotics.

That sounds like a Staph infection of the skin. We've had a few fosters with that. We hit them hard with antibiotics as well as use Chlorhexidine shampoos and sprays. We have had a few of these infections pop back up after a few weeks off the antibiotics, seems they were hiding and then flared up again. Good luck.

So the vet thinks that with the history of pustules and the itching it's likely a skin infection that never got knocked-out by the original 2 weeks of anti-biotics.

That sounds like a Staph infection of the skin. We've had a few fosters with that. We hit them hard with antibiotics as well as use Chlorhexidine shampoos and sprays. We have had a few of these infections pop back up after a few weeks off the antibiotics, seems they were hiding and then flared up again. Good luck.

Lindsay, thank you for your reply. Did your fosters lose a large amount of hair rapidly? Kevin is now quite thinned-out all over and it's gone on his chest and haunches. The hair easily pulls out. Did you also experience this epilation?

I will mention the shampoo when we pick up the anti-biotics today.

Kisses to Chase and Sophie!!

finalsiggy.jpg

Some of what you are seeing may be summer shedding, too.

Lindsay, thank you for your reply. Did your fosters lose a large amount of hair rapidly? Kevin is now quite thinned-out all over and it's gone on his chest and haunches. The hair easily pulls out. Did you also experience this epilation?

Yep, Lazer had red rash, sort of bumps that occasionally oozed.. My vet never used the term Staph Infection,, but said skin infection.. probably the same thing, with clumps coming out of his skin.

He is starting this routine again,. His fur is so thin that he is looking bald. he doesn't have the "infection" that i can see, but the lethargy, limping and off his food.

so I'm headed in today or tomorrow to start him on Pred. again.

I hope your boy gets to feeling better soon.

I did find a anti itch spray that seemed to help Lazer. Benadryl spray,, and Hartz Hydrocortisone spray,, both from the grocery store. The Hartz is greasy, but it did help.

good luck!!

Edited by 3DogNite

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

A T4 of 0.9 is higher than many/most greyhounds have -- the "normal" range for dogs in general has nothing to do with greyhound normal! With your panel results your grey certainly does not have a thyroid problem. Best wishes in figuring it out!

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Yep, Lazer had red rash, sort of bumps that occasionally oozed.. My vet never used the term Staph Infection,, but said skin infection.. probably the same thing, with clumps coming out of his skin.

He is starting this routine again,. His fur is so thin that he is looking bald. he doesn't have the "infection" that i can see, but the lethargy, limping and off his food.

so I'm headed in today or tomorrow to start him on Pred. again.

I hope your boy gets to feeling better soon.

I did find a anti itch spray that seemed to help Lazer. Benadryl spray,, and Hartz Hydrocortisone spray,, both from the grocery store. The Hartz is greasy, but it did help.

good luck!!

Thanks for your reply. The only difference sounds like Kevin is only mildly itchy compared to Lazer. My vet didn't use the word staph either but I saw in online research that those pustules are staph related. Luckily those aren't really around at the moment (but I did notice on yesterday on him in a place you really don't want one!). I will see about those sprays. We have benadryl and his Rx on hand if he gets really itchy. I hope Lazer is doing better soon! Scritches for Lazer.

Beth's mom- Thanks! It did seem like the levels were good for a grey. The vet doesn't believe there is anything wrong with his thyroid. Pats for your pretty girl.

finalsiggy.jpg