I've Heard Nothing But Good Things...

Guest HannahZee

Guest HannahZee

Howdy there!

I've heard nothing but good things about greyhounds my whole life and nothing but good things about this forum in the recent month or so of my research.

You see... I'm a college freshman who's just about to be on her own. I've been looking into getting my self a 4 legged furry roommate for my apartment. Before you go on and on and say that college students don't have time to take care of a dog I'd like you, the community, to know more about my... history, if that's the right term.

My family has owned dogs since I was born and I'm an active volunteer at the ADA (AustinDogAlliance.org) needless to say, Dogs have been in every part of my life, all the time. The only time I am without a dog is when I'm in the bathroom.

I've heard that with the proper exersize and care Greyhounds make fine apartment dogs. I really hope this is true. :)

Much love, always,

Hannah

Guest greystoked

Greyhound = Best Hounds // Greytalk = Best Site (There, that should earn us a brownie... right, Jeff? Pupperoni, perhaps?) | Moving on...

We don't have an apartment, but our wee cottage is apartment sized... and our Sweetie is a big boy. He's had no problems*, and this place is cramped!

*Well, technically, during the first months Sweetie came to stay, we had him wearing his collar in the house... and he is just tall enough that one day he got his collar hooked on a cabinet door handle... let out the Greyhound Scream Of Deth, tho he wasn't hurt at all... just surprised and confused... my wife ran out and immediately fixed the problem by ripping the cabinet door right off its hinges. Had to 'save her baby'. I still tease her about it... "SuperMum"... heh...

...no issues since, as we let him run around inside nekkid.

Good luck! I can't think of a better hound to have than a Grey.

And GT is pretty cool, too. ;)

Hi & Welcome from Michigan!

You got to meet my two hounds on the thread you started on Greyhound Therapy Dogs. :rolleyes:

It's so nice you want to adopt and are thinking about doing therapy dog work too. It is so rewarding for both hound and human. Greyhounds LOVE to go places and do things, and you'll find that when you take one out in public, people will be naturally drawn to them.

Welcome to the cult ... I mean club! :lol

gus-rainy-1.jpg?1449508527184&1449508632
CORY and CRICKET - Solitary Tremble & CASPER - Pj's Mia Farrow
* With CAPT. GUS - Solitary Trigger, RAINY - Peach Rain, PUP - Red Zepher, DOC - CTW Fort Sumpter
and MAX - Shiowa's Silver Maxamillion / Afghan .... all waiting at the bridge

Well, if you do eventually get a greyhound, be prepared to have a dog in the bathroom, too!

^THIS! :rofl Sagan only follows me to the door because our bathroom is so small that two humans can barely fit in it together. If it were bigger he'd probably come in with me :rolleyes:

Goodnfornyounfor doing some research in advance. Yes, greyhounds can make good apartment dogs, and they do not require any moor exercise than any other breed. Of course, as with anything, there can be exceptions, so it will be helpful to work with a local adoption group to pick the right hound for your living situation and lifetsyle.

When I adopted my first, Merlin, he was a bounce and the house he'd lived in beforehand was absolutely clueless. The woman had not house trained him and knew he wasn't cat safe, and then was surprised when he bit her cats and peed on the floor :blink Partly as a result of being bounced (I suspect, but I know nothing of his past), Merlin had bad separation anxiety when we adopted him. We were living in an apartment at the time, and having a dog with SA in an apartment is no fun, I can tell you. It was stressful, sldo becsuse he HATED to be crated but for various reasons, including how the apartment was set up, we had no choice but to crate him at first. We helped him through his SA, and he became a very laid back dog :). i have never used a crate since.

Sagan had to learn a lot of things (stairs, and also that the ceiling fan was really not out to get him :blush) but he adpated fast and never even had an accident in the house. We just put him on a schedule, watched him closely, and took some time off following his adoption to help him transition into his new home.

Good luck, and welcome! You'll find that GT will be a useful resource.

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

I have several friends that live in apartments and have greyhound(s) - Notice that I put the s on the end. Several have more then 1 (meaning 2) If you have the time and means , go for it, I wish I had gotten a grey sooner but I waited til I had a house. they are awesome dogs. My mom was not thrilled about me getting a dog as she thought I would stay home more, she was WRONG, more then half the time she calls , she can't find me and has to leave a message as I am out doing a Meet and Greet with Maddie or doing something with people that I have met through the greyhound community, Now she LOVES Maddie and tells me to say "hi to her from Mimi"

Amy Human Mommy to fur baby Maddie (Doobiesaurus) TDI certified. May 5, 2002-September 12, 2014 and Mille (Mac's Bayou Baby)CGC, TDI certified.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg"]http://i270. photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg[/img]

I'm a University student too (albeit I was starting my 5th year of Uni when I got Summit, and my third year of vet school) and greyhounds are the best dog for a student (in my totally unbiased opinion, lol).

My boyfriend and I did a lot of research into breeds... okay, I did a lot of research into breeds and then we decided (again, more of an I decided) on the greyhound because they're low energy, quiet, and clean. Low energy shouldn't be mistaken for "doesn't need exercise" of course, but the wonderful thing about most greys is that they're more than willing to go for a 2 hour hike, but they're also happy to sleep 18 hours a day and go for 3 quick pee breaks (you know, during exams). My boy is fairly big at 75 lbs but he'll find any soft spot and just curl up and sleep the day away. We take him to a weekly greyhound run and let him out in the fenced backyard a few times a week maybe. I walk him for 30-45 minutes in the morning, 30 minutes when I get home from school, and 30-60 minutes in the evening. This is more than enough for him. He's a little older, but I know lots of younger greyhounds who are even lazier than him.

You just need to find the right adoption group and to be prepared to show you are dedicated and responsible. I don't blame groups for being wary of students. I know of lots of stories of animals being returned or dumped when summer rolls around. But I also know lots of groups who have never had a problem adopting to a student and will do so readily if you show you will be a good owner.

Good luck!

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Welcome! If there's a greyhound group near you you might think of doing some volunteering for them as a great way of learning the breed and establishing your merits and commitment.

If you're in your freshman year, though, I would really urge you to wait a year or two before pursuing this ... you are about to face so many changes and new activities and emotional stresses and demands (work and social) on your time, and you shouldn't add responsibility for a dog to the mix, for the dog's sake and for yours. In a couple of years, things should be much more stable. You have many, many years ahead of you to have greyhounds! I'm a college professor, so I'm speaking from a lot of experience in terms of what I see with students. But yes, I know undergrads who are devoted dog parents, and am friends with at least one greyhound mom who's in college who was a great owner until her hound's untimely death in a tragic accident.

Edited by PrairieProf

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Guest HannahZee

Ah, while I see your point, a very good one at that, I failed to mention that while I am a freshman in college I have already completed two semesters. One in high school and one in the summer. Even though I was still living at home this summer I got a REALLY good taste of college.

Guest zombrie

I am a junior in college and I live in a small apartment in downtown Boston, they are AWESOME apartment dogs.

ETA I think this is the biggest thing. If you do adopt while in school, be prepared to lose quite a bit of social life. Walk dog, class, walk dog, eat lunch, class, walk dog, etc. There is no more going and staying out late with friends, coming home when you feel like it, even on the weekends :P I think it's way worth it though!

Edited by zombrie

Guest HannahZee

Really? I don't see this being an issue as my friends are all dog people and I could easily take my dog anywhere with me. (I live in a VERY dog friendly place.)

Well, if you do eventually get a greyhound, be prepared to have a dog in the bathroom, too!

Years ago someone posted on another forum that they had not been in the bathroom alone since 1987...somehow the greys thought that she was going to escape through the window or something. :lol

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest Bean_Scotch

Hello...I was a highschool student when I adopted my first at 17years old. I had 3 by the time I was 18 and just starting College. I just adopted by 4th at 24yrs old. All of them are still with me. I've never given any of them back. I've made it through 6 years of college-and counting with them. They are happy as larks. They are capable of 'holding it' for 10hrs+ and don't mind the fact that I work 2 jobs and go to school full time at all. They sleep. and sleep some more.

I had groups that looked down upon me...so you may have to go through a couple before you find one that fits. I still volunteer for one where being young(er) than most of the volunteers doesn't have it's perks. I would feel them out first, because you don't want to go with a group that's going to look down on you because your young...it's not fun and proves to be quite a miserable experience. So find out about the group before adopting. Pick one that's willing to work with you.

I still wish I was much older(maybe late 30's) before I got involved in adoption, because I have had(and continue to) to put up with a lot of people's sh*t simply because of my age...

Edited by Bean_Scotch

Guest FreddyGirl

I find myself OFTEN with 5 greyhounds in a small bathroom. :rofl

Will you be living "out of the family home" for the first time? If so, I would seriously consider waiting until you have some time "on your own" before adopting, just to get into the groove of being on your own wirh different responsibilities, not necessarily less, just different.

I like to err on the side of caution when greyhounds are involved.

Welcome to GT and congratulations on your future adoption. :colgate

I am a junior in college and I live in a small apartment in downtown Boston, they are AWESOME apartment dogs.

ETA I think this is the biggest thing. If you do adopt while in school, be prepared to lose quite a bit of social life. Walk dog, class, walk dog, eat lunch, class, walk dog, etc. There is no more going and staying out late with friends, coming home when you feel like it, even on the weekends :P I think it's way worth it though!

Maybe it's just because I'm a total loser and have never really been into the party scene at University... especially now that I have my own place with my BF (we're like an old married couple... stay in and watch t.v. most nights), but I don't find having a dog wrecks my social life at all. I take them with me to visit friends (who love to see him), and you can still totally go out and party. I wouldn't recommend you go out and party on a regular basis... but we've certainly gone out to the bars the odd time and the dog is fine. I walk him right before we leave, give him his Kong and all the usual routine as for leaving at any other time of day, and when we come home at 2 in the morning he's fast asleep and we can barely get him out of our bed so we can sleep.

On the same note, I've been on call and it's exactly the same. I get a call at 1 in the morning... I get my butt out of bed and into respectable clothes and then I give the dog his Kong and run out the door to see the seizuring cat.

And depending on your dog, you might not have to go home often to walk him/her. Summit is more than capable of going 10 hours... he's not even desperate at 10 hours. Obviously we don't make him go 10 hrs regularly, but life happens... traffic jam on the way home from a day trip without the dog, etc. So I don't go home between classes to walk him unless I have a really big gap and want to take him for a longer walk.

Maybe find a group that fosters dogs out and volunteer to be a foster parent. Then you can see what it's like to have a dog in University and what kind of personality fits best.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest AmberStar47988

Welcome, Hannah! You've already received some excellent advice. Good luck with your potential adoption, and with college! :colgate