New Around Here, New Grey Mom

Guest SupersMom

Guest SupersMom

Hello everyone! My husband and I are bringing home our ity bity great big baby from our local adoption kennel tomorrow. Her name is Super, from her racing days, and we are estatic to bring her home. She just had her girl surgery this week so she's a bit sore. We've got the yard debugged, dog beds all over, cabinets kid-proofed, raised bowls, kibble, some toys, and her crate. Is there anything last minute we still need to do to dog-prep the house? Her last race was in late June, and wasn't at the kennel long. (She's just the one that we fell for the hardest)

Thanks,

Super's Mom

Welcome! Sounds like you have everything covered -- you have a collar and leash right? Patience comes in handy, she'll need time to figure out what her new job is and what her life is going to be like from now on :P

Edited by Jenbo

Camp Broodie with tuxedo Summer 12 and tuxedo Dio 6

Missing KC Kitty 2000-2016, Myka and part of my heart 2006-2020, and Saint YellBoy 2014-2020

Guest SupersMom

Welcome! Sounds like you have everything covered -- you have a collar and leash right? Patience comes in handy, she'll need time to figure out what her new job is and what her life is going to be like from now on :P

Yes, we have martingale collar, leash, tag, (county registration tomorrow when we have her shot records), flea preventative, appointment with vet for heart worm preventative set, couches covered in blankets because we know they belong to her now.

Guest SupersMom

Welcome! How exciting! I remember shopping shopping shopping before Beth came home. :) We will be eager to hear your update!

Hi PrairieProf,

Based on your pic, I assume you're out there in corn country. I went to college out there--and loved it! I'd move back if I could get work there. I'll just have to settle for palm trees.

We were originally going to pick up Super yesterday, but she was so weak, and sick. She wasn't holding any food down yet so the husband wanted her to stay with the expert to be sure she is ok. She's a smart one. She figured out if she turned away enough food that the kennel staff would offer a more interesting menu. It turns out that she is a cottage cheese monster!

Guest bethac

Congratulations! This is such an exciting time for all of you. Be sure to take lots of pics and post some here so that we can "meet" your new baby. :confetti

If Super is anything like her littermate, Kentucky Carol, you are going to love her. We had Kentucky Carol in our home for 2 months and she was just sent to an adoption group in New York. Very friendly, nice meet and greet dog, a real sweetheart. Their owner is a personal friend and I know he will be happy to hear Super has a home.

Kathy Ford

ACT Greyhound Adoptions

actgreyhounds@cfl.rr.com

ACT Greyhound Adoptions

actgreyhounds@cfl.rr.com

Guest SupersMom

If Super is anything like her littermate, Kentucky Carol, you are going to love her. We had Kentucky Carol in our home for 2 months and she was just sent to an adoption group in New York. Very friendly, nice meet and greet dog, a real sweetheart. Their owner is a personal friend and I know he will be happy to hear Super has a home.

I've been chatting it up with Brad lately, and he is excited for her. I think a play date is in order when we get up to his area later this year for Super and his grey.

We are in love with Super. It's been agonizing sitting at home with empty dog beds. DH and I both know we will be chippers---just not right away.

Kathy Ford

ACT Greyhound Adoptions

actgreyhounds@cfl.rr.com

I've been chatting it up with Brad lately, and he is excited for her. I think a play date is in order when we get up to his area later this year for Super and his grey.

We are in love with Super. It's been agonizing sitting at home with empty dog beds. DH and I both know we will be chippers---just not right away.

I'm glad you and Brad have connected, he really likes his dogs especially CueBall.

Kathy

ACT Greyhound Adoptions

actgreyhounds@cfl.rr.com

Guest SupersMom

I'm glad you and Brad have connected, he really likes his dogs especially CueBall.

Kathy

I can tell he loves his dogs. We feel so lucky to have Super coming into our lives. We're on the brink of our lives totally changing and we're ecstatic. He sent us some pictures of her, including a cute puppy pic where she is just a blur!

Welcome, looking forward to lots of Super stories.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Super is gorgeous! You might find it interesting to read about her very very famous granddaddy Gable Dodge here: http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php/topic/259876-question-about-gable-dodge/ (her great-granddad Molotov is super duper famous too)

Beth loves cottage cheese and yogurt too, lots of hounds do. In fact I often need dairy products to bribe her off the bed when it's walk time, especially for "last call" at night. :rolleyes: The clank of the spoon on her bowl brings her right away!

Yes, I'm in Iowa, and my best friend who now lives among the palms of San Diego feels the same way about wishing she could come back if she could get work (we're both college professors so don't have a lot of mobility). I'm an east coast native but do enjoy it here on the whole!

Edited by PrairieProf

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Guest SupersMom

Super is gorgeous! You might find it interesting to read about her very very famous granddaddy Gable Dodge here: http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php/topic/259876-question-about-gable-dodge/ (her great-granddad Molotov is super duper famous too)

Beth loves cottage cheese and yogurt too, lots of hounds do. In fact I often need dairy products to bribe her off the bed when it's walk time, especially for "last call" at night. :rolleyes: The clank of the spoon on her bowl brings her right away!

Yes, I'm in Iowa, and my best friend who now lives among the palms of San Diego feels the same way about wishing she could come back if she could get work (we're both college professors so don't have a lot of mobility). I'm an east coast native but do enjoy it here on the whole!

It seems everyone I interact with about Super has nothing but wonderful things to share about her.

Super took the car ride (short ride) home with flying colors, quietly laying in the back seat, and never attempted to help drive. After an introduction to the back yard and the house she is calming down already. She learned about the rear sliding door with only one head bump, and has already picked out her favorite toy---a small pink squeak dog we found at a store on sale. She's a fast learner, and loves her toys. She's such a spectacular dog and we're delighted to have her home. We love her!

She's even done a bit of nesting in her crate. She just walked right in and started pawing with the blanket, and put some of her toys inside! She's a Super girl.

Guest SupersMom

It's wonderful watching them settle in, isn't it? :P

I'm surprised how well the first potty experience went. After going to the yard to explore the house we gave her some time to look around, then I asked her if she wanted to go outside, and she made a beeline for the sliding door, did her thing and beelined it back inside, once on leash, once off (fenced yard). She's snoozing at the foot of the couch at the moment.

Guest SupersMom

Well, we finally got her on the couch. She finds the front window more entertaining than the tv...although she had her eyes glued on a rerun of NCIS earlier. I don't blame her a bit! :) she gets so excited when Tim comes in the house from having been out, it's adorable.