Skinned Paw

Guest ilovelucy

Guest ilovelucy

Hi fellow Greyhound lovers.

Our newly almost adopted girl took a tumble coming off the deck last night. She has a serious skinned front paw. Not worthy of stitches, not dripping blood, but a scrape that is very red and when I dab it, a little bit of blood. We bandaged it last night, but due to her licking, took it off this a.m. I am interested in advice as to whether we cover it again, let her lick it, what to put on it (if anything). I don't want it to get infected, just want it to heal quickly and safely. I'm home with her all day to monitor licking, etc. Right now she's sleeping. Thanks everyone for the assistance. I appreciate it.

Hi fellow Greyhound lovers.

Our newly almost adopted girl took a tumble coming off the deck last night. She has a serious skinned front paw. Not worthy of stitches, not dripping blood, but a scrape that is very red and when I dab it, a little bit of blood. We bandaged it last night, but due to her licking, took it off this a.m. I am interested in advice as to whether we cover it again, let her lick it, what to put on it (if anything). I don't want it to get infected, just want it to heal quickly and safely. I'm home with her all day to monitor licking, etc. Right now she's sleeping. Thanks everyone for the assistance. I appreciate it.

I recommend spraying Collodial Silver on it and leave it open to dry. If you can't/don't have CS then I have in the past just put polysporin on it and left it to air. Helps the healing process. Good luck. Paws are tough places!

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Might try a toddler sock over it, with a little vetwrap (not too tight) around the ankle to keep her from licking. I'd clean it gently with mild soap and water if she gets it dirty (e.g., steps in a mud puddle) and otherwise leave it alone.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

That's usually one that needs to heal without a bandage. Use betadine and/or neosporin to keep it clean. Put a muzzle on her to keep her from licking it. Put a poop cup in the muzzle if she continues to lick. If you don't have one, just duct tape the front of the muzzle. Hope your girl heals up quickly. :)

| Rachel | Dewty, Trigger, and Charlotte | Missing Dazzle, Echo, and Julio |

dewttrigsnowsig.jpg
Learn what your greyhound's life was like before becoming part of yours!
"The only thing better than the cutest kitty in the world is any dog." -Daniel Tosh

Guest NJgrey

Ellie gets these all the time, klutz that she is. Warm water to clean it, dab it dry and put some Neosporin on it. Neosporin makes a kind of foam that's meant for kids, I use that. She won't tolerate having it wrapped with anything so I leave it exposed. Keep an eye on her and keep it clean, it'll heal in a couple days/ weeks.

Edited by NJgrey

Keep it open and dry (NO LICKING!). I love the neosporin spray since it doesn't sting too much and you can spray it on.

Hugs for Lucie!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Ellie gets these all the time, klutz that she is. Warm water to clean it, dab it dry and put some Neosporin on it. Neosporin makes a kind of foam that's meant for kids, I use that. She won't tolerate having it wrapped with anything so I leave it exposed. Keep an eye on her and keep it clean, it'll heal in a couple days/ weeks.

same thing here, i wash it up w/ saline solution and let it heal. felix always has a scraped knuckle, lacerated pad, scratches on his legs. boyz will be boyz...gotta let them run ;)

Guest ilovelucy

Thank you everyone for your greyt advice. I've used the neosporin and will put on the baby sock when I'm not home to monitor the licking. It's already looking better. Thanks again!