Propac, Earthborn Or Diamond Naturals?

Guest conrad0491

Guest conrad0491

Hello folks and good day.

Today I spent the better part of 2 hours at two different pet supply sources examining food bags. I believe my new boy Tonto is currently eating Purina One L & R, so I bought an 18lb bag to keep his stomach from being upset with an immediate food change.

The three foods that caught my eye are ProPac Adult, the Earthborn Holistic line, and Diamond Naturals. I know a lot of folks dismiss Diamond foods, but when I compared ingredients, it stacked up fairly well with some of the more expensive foods. The ProPac and Earthborn foods are both manufactured by Midwestern Pet Foods which is located about 50 miles from me in Evansville, IN. I've used Diamond food a few times and my dogs did fine on it. I've never pulled the trigger on the ProPac brand even though it's locally made. Both ProPac and Earthborn offer frequent buyer programs, buy 10 ge tthe 11th bag free.

Do any of you folks use any of the above mentioned brands? Good or bad experiences? I have no problem continuing to feed Tonto Purina One, but I would like to try a better quality food without completely draining my wallet. The decision is really up to Tonto and not me, I suppose. Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

Guest sirsmom

There are a lot of people on board here that feed Diamond Naturals. I am softening about my opinion of Diamond; they have had a lot of recalls and quality control issues in the past that I'm pretty sure have resolved as evidenced by all the people that once again are feeding it successfully Earthborn Naturals i don't know about but I'm sure others do; I did feed the regular ProPac in the past and dogs weren't crazy for it. I would say ProPac and Purina One are probably on the same level. good luck.

The Earthborn probably has higher protein and calories then the Purina One, other then that I would break down, side by side, each of the foods you are talking about and compare ingredients side by side and the guaranteed analysis side by side also. You may have to set up a spread sheet to do it, but that is the best way to compare foods.

On the flip side, how is Tonto doing with the food he is on? If he is doing well, an eager eater, good stool, then there might be something to the old saying "if it's not broken don't fix it".

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

Guest conrad0491

When I talked with Tonto's current foster mom she had only had him there a few days. At the time she said he was eating without a problem. He is free feeding at her house and I'm going to try and get him on a scheduled feeding routine instead of free feeding.

If he is doing well on the Purina One and continues that way, then staying with it would probably be a good plan. I'll let Tonto make the decision if he wants a change.

Guest WhiteWave

We feed Earthborn grain free line. We rotate between the Primitive, Great Plains, and occasionally the Coastal Catch. Dogs do really well on all 3, but seem to prefer the Great Plains.

I have tried Diamond and in a pinch, I would use it, but for long term use, I have never had a dog do well on any Diamond product long term (including the other lines Taste of the Wild, Chicken Soup, Professional,etc).

Pro Pac is okay, but most of their foods are pretty grain heavy and in my area, priced the same as better quality foods.

When I talked with Tonto's current foster mom she had only had him there a few days. At the time she said he was eating without a problem. He is free feeding at her house and I'm going to try and get him on a scheduled feeding routine instead of free feeding.

If he is doing well on the Purina One and continues that way, then staying with it would probably be a good plan. I'll let Tonto make the decision if he wants a change.

Remember that you control the food--there need not be a "try to get him on a schedule." Just do it. Most dogs are on a schedule. And most dogs will attempt to convince you that they are starving ALL THE TIME! :P Do not take the bait!!

No experience with any of the foods you listed, but I agree with the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" school of thought.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

I feed my dogs Diamond Natural Beef & Rice. I have tried the Chicken & Lamb, neither worked for my boy. He seems to be more sensitive than my girl. He is finally very solid, his weight is good and he is having no problems. I don't want to mess with changing his food...if it ain't broke don't fix it! If you decide to change foods, make sure you do it slowly.

<p>Mom to Kyle (Diehard Kyle) & Angel Gracie (KB's Sankey) Foster Mom for AFG

Guest conrad0491

I'm sticking with the Purina One for the time being with Tonto. He doesn't have a huge appetite at the moment, most likely because of this oppressive heat we've been having. He eats with gusto when he eats, but has yet to eat everything in his bowl. I think he's taking his time getting used to his new surroundings and that's just fine with me.