Terrifying Event

Guest newbee

Guest newbee

I have been reading Greytalk since May and received a lot of good information form all of you. However I am in need of some more advise. Twilight 3yr. old female grey who we have had since Sept.'10 was attacked be a German Sheppard in June on her hindquarter and back at the dog park. She has healed physically, but not emotionally and psychologically. She use to enjoy long walks, meet & greet everyone along the way and was finally starting to play and run at home & the dog park (she socialized well with small and large dogs, greeted every human at the park also). I presently have a different dog. She freezes if I try to walk her on her normal route, trying to desensitize her by taking her to the dog park with Cooper( our other Grey) but she panics and runs to the gate after she does her business. Have tried a greyhound intervention with 6 other grey for a few days, seemed to make some progress at the park while they were all there, but on her own she fails. I've had her to the vet, gave her clomicalm ( stopped eating, drinking water and the big D) stopped that. Started her on Melatonin, seem to help with the thunder and storm phobia, but I can't really see any other difference. She still will not play with her favorite toys, retreats to her safe place in our bedroom. She does come into the family area on occasion. My next option homeopathic and behavior modification? Any suggestion, I am truly open.

I suggest you have a mod move this to the behavior section, you'll get more replies there. Personally, I don't think enough time has passed since the attack. Sounds like you're going to have to take it very slowly with her. The more you push, the more she'll retreat. It just seems more than she can handle right now.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest MnMDogs

I don't have much advice, but this is a very recent trauma and it will likely take time for her to heal emotionally. One thing I would not do, is continue to take her to the dog park.

Edited by MnMDogs

Guest LindsaySF

I don't have much advice, but this is a very recent trauma and it will likely take time for her to heal emotionally. One thing I would not do, is continue to take her to the dog park.

Good luck.

I also would suggest not taking her to the dog park for awhile. It's probably too traumatic and causing her a ton of anxiety being there. I would give her time to adjust. A neighbor told me that he had a greyhound that jumped their fence and was hit by a car. He said she refused to go outside for three months after that. Takes time to heal psychologically.

I agree with the last few posts, it's not time to take her back to the dog park .. in fact she may never want to go back there or feel comfortable there.

Right now she just needs to feel safe so I would suggest doing short walks but ones that she has never been on before and, don't go near the park. Try a few minutes a day and see if you can work up to going on 45 minutes walks a day.

I would also limit activity with other dogs, especially groups of dogs even if they are greyhounds (at least at first) until she starts to feel more comfortable in her own space. Let her just "exist" with just her and your other dog.

Guest newbee

I agree with the last few posts, it's not time to take her back to the dog park .. in fact she may never want to go back there or feel comfortable there.

Right now she just needs to feel safe so I would suggest doing short walks but ones that she has never been on before and, don't go near the park. Try a few minutes a day and see if you can work up to going on 45 minutes walks a day.

I would also limit activity with other dogs, especially groups of dogs even if they are greyhounds (at least at first) until she starts to feel more comfortable in her own space. Let her just "exist" with just her and your other dog.

Thank you, we have made that decision not to bring her to the park and take both her and Cooper for walks in different places as much as we can so she will continue to get her exercise.

Guest Liz_in_PA

is it possible that she is also picking anxiety from the person walking her? Could you try someone else with the leash on a trial walk?

Guest d0ggiem0mma

Take highly palatable treats with you and reward her for moving forward on her walks. Use something like cooked chicken, cheese, or even a container of chicken baby food. Reward her for walking near other dogs or other things that might be stressful. Don't push her too quickly- take it nice and slow.

If she was anxious before it is going to take her more time to return to "zero" than another, more outgoing dog. Give her time and patience, first of all. When she begins being calm doing normal, everyday things, then you can try and push her boundaries little by little.

Also, if it was a very bad attack with deep wounds she may still be in quite a bit of pain, even if it looks healed from the outside.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest Lynnada

I agree with the others to take her on leashed walks with your other hound and avoid the dog park. I would think being around other dogs off leash would make her feel vulnerable. Maybe in time as she gets more comfortable have another friendly dog and their owner join you on leashed walks, but that sounds like a ways off yet.

All the best, just give her time and set her up to succeed. Try to end her outings on a good note, keep the walks short and bring her home before she gets stressed. Bring those yummy treats along and make going out a pleasant experience.

Guest longdoglady

I've been going through the same with Anna, she was bit last October and it is only in the last three months that she will say "hello" to a friendly dog and then only if it is on a lead. I had to drag her out of the house, she was even frightened of dogs she knew :( I tried to ensure I did not push her too far too soon, wearing a DAP collar for a while helped enormously, it calmed her enough so she could learn to trust her dog friends and gain confidence.

It will take time and a huge amount of patience but by taking Twilight where she does not feel threatened, walking her between you and Cooper, trying not to pass too close to other dogs and by avoiding off lead dogs she will improve. Make every dog encounter a positive experience and let her watch them from a safe distance while you act calm and nonchalant. I never thought I would get this far with Anna but she is slowly getting there Twilight will too :)

Guest BrianRke

I agree. I am very anti-dog park. There are too many things that can happen.

See if you can help reinforce her with Turid Rugass's 'Calming Signals' as in the link below:

http://www.canis.no/rugaas/onearticle.php?artid=1

This is going to make you more confident too because you will be better able to 'read' all the other dogs. This will be noticed by your justifiably now fearful Grey. What she wants to know is thay you are in charge and you will definitely take care of threats. It might be a good idea to pack pepper spray as you never know how easily a fearful dog can attract unwanted attention.

I think it's too soon to go back to that dog park... you know my Peggy took 9 MONTHS to be able to walk around a corner where she was stung by a big wasp. She took that as my fault for having her on a lead so she couldn't get away or get the wasp off.

Is there a different park you can go to, does anyone in your greyhound group have a nice big paddock or a fenced field?

Guest newbee

Twilight had a better day today :colgate. She started playing with some of her toys and wanted to greet people(with some caution) on her short walks.. She actually walked across the street this morning without freezing. Had to in-list the help of a behaviorist and started her on some homeopathic supplements two days ago. At this point there truly seems to be a small improvement. "NO DOG PARK":unsure , but lots of love, treats and massages.

It will take a long time for her to get over it.

When Argus was attacked by a loose dog it took him several months to return to "normal." He had nightmares for weeks and would scream and cry in his sleep. He snapped at me several times when I made sudden moves.

It seemed to be similar to PTSD in a human.

Take it slow with your girl, and be gentle. I agree with your decision to stay away from the dog park.

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg