Attacked By A Squirrel

Guest BassoonMo

Guest BassoonMo

After months of trying, Easy finally caught a squirrel this evening. He killed it, but not before it scratched him on the nose, face, gums, and leg. None of the scratches are that major, but I'm more worried about what kind of nasty diseases a squirrel could be carrying. It looked pretty healthy (for a squirrel), but they all look a little mangy to me. A friend suggested I get him checked in a couple of weeks for worms, just in case, but I was wondering if there is anything else I should be concerned about.

I would think this would teach Easy not to chase squirrel, but of course it hasn't. Now our yorkie is a little nervous about chasing them though.

I appreciate any advice. :-)

Thanks!

Monique'

I found my girl nibbling the neck of a squirrel on night...the head was already in her belly. She wasn't scratched up (I think it fell out of a tree and she decided she needed an appetizer). I called my vet right away, I was worried about rabies, but they said that squirrels don't carry rabies (who knew?!). They said she should be fine otherwise. It has been a month or more since then and she's fine. I'd give her a good cleaning and give the vet a call and see what they say.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Easy was lucky. A friend's grey caught a squirrel who inflicted a lot of damage requiring drains, stitches--the works. The friend's dog grabbed the squirrel near the tail, and the squirrel was able to turn and nail the poor dog.

First day home from the hospital, drain in place and all, the dog stood at the patio door, fussing to go after squirrels she could see in the back yard.

Moral of the story? Don't expect Easy to have learned his lesson.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Easy should be fine. If you wish you can put Polysporin on the scratches but they should heal fine. Ours have done it as well and the only way to prevent it is a muzzle however that can place the pups at a disadvantage with the squirrel.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

You might need to worry about the scratches getting infected so put ointment on them - if they are deep you might need to see a vet to get antibiotics. As someone mentioned, I don't think rabies is an issue - but, you might want to check online or call the vet.

Guest Swifthounds

Nothing really to worry about except possible transfer of fleas, especially is the squirrel wasn't consumed. Scratches should heal fine with just a cleaning and keeping them dry.

My last dog was bitten by a squirrel (can't blame the little fellow, my dog had him in his mouth at the time) and I was told the same thing by my vet; squirrels have not been found to carry rabies, and, as he reminded me, my dog has been vaccinated against it!

Rest in peace little squirrel!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Ben killed a squirrel awhile ago and we were at the vet for another reason, but I mentioned the squirrel and he said not to worry about it, just a small scratch.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Guest eaglflyt

Squirrels can be vicious little buggers. I volunteered in the past for our local wildlife rehab organization. I can tell you that any of us would have rather used the heavy leather gloves to manage a large and angry bird of prey, rather than tangle with a scared or mad squirrel. They can sink their teeth through the heavy, leather raptor gloves like you are bare handed. Eagle beaks and talons could't manage that .... but a squirrel ... piece of cake!