Cancer Protocols

I don't know if this is asking too much, but for those who have dealt with or currently dealing with a dog having cancer would you mind sharing what protocols you have used/are using. I just think it would be nice if people who are facing a new diagnosis of cancer with their greys had some idea of the different treatments and supplements there are for fighting cancer as early as possible. To me time is the most crucial factor if there is to be success in beating a diagnosis of cancer.

You don't have to give dosages of everything your giving. If you would just list them and any links to websites or additional notes that you feel would benefit people. Also please tell the type of cancer you are/were dealing with.

This is not meant to be a debate on what is the right or wrong approach, but what is out there.

I'll start with sharing what Ozzy was on.

Brain tumor:

*Artemether - A form of Artemisinin that is reportedly more effective at crossing the blood brain barrier.

*Curcumin

*Partial Budwig Diet- Emulsion of 2 parts low fat cottage cheese and flaxseed oil.

There is also a lot of information on the first page of the "Osteo Thread," with info on links and other sites. Circle of Grey (a Yahoo listserve) has an really good page of links to different sites and info about cancer in canines (not just greyhounds).

Following his amp and completion of traditional chemo, Dude is currently on the OSU-developed Metronomic Protocol: Artemisinin (once a day), cytoxin (a compounded low-dose chemo drug, alternate days), and piroxicam (generic for the nsaid Feldene, also compouned for him, alternating with the cytoxin).

He also is on a grain-free, high fat, high protein kibble (Canidae Salmon), with salmon oil for breakfast. Dinner is also kibble, with a dose of flax oil, and glucosamine/chondroitin/msm supplement for dinner. I've also started giving him a raw mix of cancer-fighting foods - broccoli, carrots, cabbage, parsley, black beans, green beans, sweet potato (I did cook this), plus cauliflower and blueberries or blackberries if I have them. He loves veggies so this is good for him.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Chris, thank you for taking the time to respond. The first page of the osteo thread has information that is invaluable and I know it should all be read and covered, however it is an overwhelming amount of information for someone to sift through and take in when they have just learned of a cancer diagnosis. I was hoping that people would share the bare bones of their chosen cancer regimen to include treatment, supplements and diet, which is very important, that you included in your reply, but I had neglected to ask for. The intention of this thread was so that people can see what is out there that people are using and do some quick personal research on the different options and discuss this with their grey's oncologist. I wanted the information to be easy to find for people without reading through a myriad of support posts - which are invaluable in themselves to people in this situation - to get to it. You could almost say like an appendix to the osteo thread. But alas, I do think it will be a failed attempt.

Just wanted to add, have you thought of using a juicer to process Dude's vegetables and fruits?

We have Charlie on the following (post amp and chemo - doxyrubicin 5 rounds):

Artemisinin - cycling every 7 days, obtained from Holly Pharmaceuticals

Palladia - Monday, Wednesday and Friday, off on weekends

Budwig diet - nightly, blended cottage cheese (not low fat), flax oil and flax seed that have been pulverized

Anti-Oxident spices - we blend a number of Indian spices and put in his food once daily: cumin, tumeric, cayenne & ginger

Herbs - he receives twice daily infusions of different herbs (obtained from Mountain Rose Herbs)

Diet - twice daily, blended raw vegetables (broccoli, carrots, cabbage, cauliflower, blueberries, parsley, thyme, rosemary) with cooked lentils and a protein (salmon, mackeral or boiled eggs)

Supplements include a long listing that I believe I posted in the Osteo thread and would need to retrieve. This will all be broken down in greater detail as DW has created a blog and will have a page detailing everything.

Edited by Charlies_Dad

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Chris, thank you for taking the time to respond. The first page of the osteo thread has information that is invaluable and I know it should all be read and covered, however it is an overwhelming amount of information for someone to sift through and take in when they have just learned of a cancer diagnosis. I was hoping that people would share the bare bones of their chosen cancer regimen to include treatment, supplements and diet, which is very important, that you included in your reply, but I had neglected to ask for. The intention of this thread was so that people can see what is out there that people are using and do some quick personal research on the different options and discuss this with their grey's oncologist. I wanted the information to be easy to find for people without reading through a myriad of support posts - which are invaluable in themselves to people in this situation - to get to it. You could almost say like an appendix to the osteo thread. But alas, I do think it will be a failed attempt.

Just wanted to add, have you thought of using a juicer to process Dude's vegetables and fruits?

Dude loves raw veggies, so I don't have to do much but cut them up. I've also discovered a pre-made packaged "broccoli slaw" at the store that has already broccoli, carrots and cabbage. I just add the sweet potato, parsley, blacks beans from a can, and green beans from a can. It's pretty easy to fix that way.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Dude loves raw veggies, so I don't have to do much but cut them up. I've also discovered a pre-made packaged "broccoli slaw" at the store that has already broccoli, carrots and cabbage. I just add the sweet potato, parsley, blacks beans from a can, and green beans from a can. It's pretty easy to fix that way.

Charlie loves veggies as well. We use our food processor though to get everything mixed well and it really does a great job. This also helps our senior girl Shelby who has very few teeth now and can't really chew on anything hard. DW makes enough for 6-7 days so she only has to prepare them once a week.

Update with DW's blog that details our Charlie's diet: http://pinneyandpnut.blogspot.com/p/charlies-cancer-diet.html

Edited by Charlies_Dad

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Judy, I thought of a supplement that we had Winnie on which I usually forget to mention. After the amp for osteo, she was on a low carb, high protein diet, using a commercial dog food, Chicken Soup For The Dog Lover's Soul (corny name, pretty good food). She also got a steak for breakfast almost every day, and fresh veggies like Dude. The 2 supplements I gave her were artemisinin, which is discussed a lot, and pycnogenol, another immune system booster for humans that I got at Vitamin World. We could have been just immensely lucky, but Winnie had 3 1/2 great years!

On the opposite end of the spectrum, we lost our sweet Patsy to lymphosarcoma, even after removing her spleen, and starting her on chemo. I'm sorry I've forgotten just what type. This was back before I was on Greytalk, and had acesss to the wealth of knowledge here.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

Nancy thank you for adding to this. Greys like Winnie are such an inspiration. It seems the veggies are a very important part of all your diets.

Kyle I just read your wife's blog on Charlie's diet and WOW what a wealth of information. I know it's a lot of work, but she has laid out the information so nicely it doesn't seem so daunting a task. I'm going to look at adding some of the herbs and tea infusions to my own dogs' diet. I have been giving them a small amount of the Budwig preparation with their food at night.

Again thank you all, I hope others will find this information beneficial.