Really Dry Skin

Guest UpperHandAndy

Guest UpperHandAndy

When Andy came to us about a week and a half ago, I noticed he had a bit of "dandruff" on his rear, and now that we've had him for a little bit longer, I've noticed more. He seems really flakey under his arms, on his belly, and in between the bone and tendon in his leg. What would be safe to put on this? I was thinking lanolin since it's super moisturizing, but wasn't sure it was safe if he started licking it. It doesn't seem to be bothering him at all, no scratching or anything, but I wanted to get it under control. We are also working on getting him on a better diet, but I know that won't happen overnight. Thanks for any info you can give us!

this is really normal for dogs just off the track. they need to blow their track coats and it seems as if when they are shedding(especially the blacks you cqan really seet on them) the dandruff is profuse. with the change to a better kibble and a suppliement for the skin/coat in 6-10 weeks there should be a marked improvement. i use laske kronche cold pressed salmon oil, my dogs be they 60# or 76#s get 4 squirts on their food daily. i tried everything out there, the president of the adoption group suggested it and it really does work. start off w/ one squirt per day and work your way up, as w/ any suppliment, start off slow. your dog is going thru major changes in his life and tummies get upset very easliy.

a damp rag/washcloth/microfiber towel is good for a wipe down to catch some of the dandruff.

Edited by cleptogrey

Welcome to the wonderful world of Greyhounds!

You might try adding fish out to his diet, but start slowly. You really might want to wait a bit--too many changes at once are no good.

It's TOTALLY normal and very typical.

I've had my dog for four years, and he still has dry skin, although it's a lot better!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest BrianRke

I have rubbed olive oil on their dry skin and it has worked great. I only used it where there is little or no hair, like under the arms, belly, etc... Just dont let them lay in the sun or you will have sauteed greyhound!

I also put 1200mg fish oil capsules in their food every morning.

Edited by BrianRke

Fish oil words great but, as mentioned above - start off slow.

You might also want to brush as that can sometimes help to distribute the oils that are naturally on the skin.

As a note, when greyhounds are nervous they will also get a "dandruff attack". I've noticed this when I've done M&G with fosters.

As a note, when greyhounds are nervous they will also get a "dandruff attack". I've noticed this when I've done M&G with fosters.

And when they're pissed off. My Oreo could look out the back window, see Public Enemy Number One (a Dalmatian) and explode with dandruff.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Guest Swifthounds

1) get a hound glove at any tack store and use it daily - it massages the skin, removes dead skin and loose hair, and stimulates oil production

2) add fish body oil. You can use salmon if it's more palatable to the dog, but it will have lower omega 3s than other fish body oils. Tou want to give 300 mgs of combined DHA and EPA (listed on the back of the label - the 1000 or 1200mg on the front is the amount of oil, not omegas) per 30# of body weight. If no railed, increase to 300mgs per 10# of body weight. Start slow and feed to bowel tolerance.

Guest UpperHandAndy

Thanks, everyone! I have a rubber kinda brush now I am using with him, and his hair comes off in sheets! I'm thinking about a shedding brush, but was worried it might be too harsh for his skin. I will definitely try some fish oil and some olive oil - need to pick up both, so I will def let you know how it goes! It clings to his fur too, so it's a little hard to get off. Again, Thanks!

Guest UpperHandAndy

I have a bit of an update. I picked Andy up the Furminator, and that was doing a great job of getting all that shedding hair off. What I've noticed though, is that a ton of dry skin is coming off, as well as little chunks of hair attached to those pieces of dry skin. I've noticed really dry, raised patches (maybe the size of a pencil eraser) and in some cases, it actually looks like scabs. There is one spot I've found on his neck that is also a bit red, as well as being kinda scabby. I'm planning on calling the vet tomorrow, but does anyone have any idea of what the heck this could be? He's got all kinds of bald spots on his sides now! Let me add, none of this seems to bother him. He doesn't try to get away from me when I'm brushing him, and he doesn't seem to mind when I'm digging around in his fur looking for these spots. TIA!

Guest alannamac

Hmm definitely get a vet to look at that and do scrapings. Could be many different things, from allergies to dietary deficiency, to mange....

On another note if you can find it, safflower oil is much better than olive oil for direct skin application.

It soaks right in in minutes and is odor free so they don't smell like salad : ) I use it on Bandit's tummy all the time and have started putting it on my skin too. Super inexpensive moisturizer!

Guest Swifthounds

Hmm definitely get a vet to look at that and do scrapings. Could be many different things, from allergies to dietary deficiency, to mange....

On another note if you can find it, safflower oil is much better than olive oil for direct skin application.

It soaks right in in minutes and is odor free so they don't smell like salad : ) I use it on Bandit's tummy all the time and have started putting it on my skin too. Super inexpensive moisturizer!

Safflower is also a much more likely allergen with a lot more (bad) Omega 6s.

Guest UpperHandAndy

I did get him some Vitamin E oil, but just haven't put it on yet. I'd like to get to the bottom of what's going on with his skin. I have pictures that might make what I'm describing a little more clear, but I have to get them off my camera lol. Like I said, it doesn't seem to be bothering him, but it's bothering me because his hair keeps coming off with the dead skin. Might be easier just to shave him and exfoliate his skin.....hahahaha....really, just kidding. :lol Thank you for your comments and I will post those pictures later on!

I would stop using the furminator-- you can strip too much hair leaving them actually bald. I would give a nice oatmeal bath to help sooth the skin. If the lesions are not resolving in few days I would have him seen by your vet- he could have anything from dry skin to a bacterial or fungal infection. For a nice balanced omega supplement I like welactin made by Nutramax.

Guest Shermanator

Echo has a lot of old scars that are circular in nature, that look like scaly patches of dry skin. But, they are smooth, and do not bother her. (Apparently our girl was a fear-biter, and lashed out when nervous, but was usually on the losing end.)

Guest UpperHandAndy

Echo has a lot of old scars that are circular in nature, that look like scaly patches of dry skin. But, they are smooth, and do not bother her. (Apparently our girl was a fear-biter, and lashed out when nervous, but was usually on the losing end.)

Andy's look fairly new, and he does have some scabs on them. His dry spots are pretty much all over his body, but mostly on his torso. Haven't found any on his head/face or tummy. He seems to lose a lot of hair around his rear, and then across the top of his back. I think I'm going to follow PP post about giving it a few days to see what happens. I will post those pics soon.

tbhounds - I was thinking that I would stop with it for a while - he seems to have been defuzzed now anyway. He still is losing hair though, and the skin is still coming off - still kinda like dandruff.

I'm going to load those pictures on my computer and post them. Thanks all :)

Guest UpperHandAndy

IMG180.jpg

This is on his neck.

IMG181.jpg

You can't really see all that well in this picture, but all the light spots are where hair is missing.

Sorry the pics are so big, didn't have time to cut em down.... :blush

Guest Swifthounds

I would definitely stop with the furminator if you've been using that. It doesn't just strip too much fur in an effort to stop shedding, it can also damage skin. Use a hound glove, rubber, curry, or slicker brush instead.

Guest UpperHandAndy

I would definitely stop with the furminator if you've been using that. It doesn't just strip too much fur in an effort to stop shedding, it can also damage skin. Use a hound glove, rubber, curry, or slicker brush instead.

I haven't used it in a few days....I have a rubber brush like thing I was using, but got the furminator because the brush didn't seem like it was doing anything to get all that extra shedding fur off. I definitely won't use it if it's going to make things worse, but I don't think the scabs are from that. I think it is pulling out too much of the hair that is attached to those dry spots though, and that's why I stopped using it. Thanks :colgate

Guest Swifthounds

If the fur isn't loose enough to remove with a rubber brush, the skin/coat is not healthy. The common culprit us a lack of omega 3s. The rubber brush will also massage skin and cause it to release beneficial skin oils, which should help the flaking.

The furminator may not be your root cause, but adding more variables and more skin irritation just make it harder to pin down what's going on.

Edited by Swifthounds

Guest UpperHandAndy

If the fur isn't loose enough to remove with a rubber brush, the skin/coat is not healthy. The common culprit us a lack of omega 3s. The rubber brush will also massage skin and cause it to release beneficial skin oils, which should help the flaking.

The furminator may not be your root cause, but adding more variables and more skin irritation just make it harder to pin down what's going on.

Oh, I have no doubt that his skin isn't healthy! It's awful! But, we've had him about 2 weeks now, and since them, I've moved him over to a better food, and have started giving him fish oil. He's had a good oatmeal bath, but I don't want to keep washing him because I don't want to dry him out worse kwim? Poor guy...he is fairly new off the track, so maybe it's just the adjustment of food/ac/new home/new people, etc. Since it's not bothering him and it doesn't seem like it's gotten any worse since this weekend, I'm going to try and get him into the vet sometime this week. Thank you for all your help!!

I'd keep an eye on him and if you see any worsening or no improvement in the scabby bits over the next week or 10 days, definitely want a vet visit. For just dandruff and general coat quality, it'll take minimum 3 weeks and usually 6 weeks of fish oil to see a difference -- has to do with how quickly the skin cells turn over.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest UpperHandAndy

I'd keep an eye on him and if you see any worsening or no improvement in the scabby bits over the next week or 10 days, definitely want a vet visit. For just dandruff and general coat quality, it'll take minimum 3 weeks and usually 6 weeks of fish oil to see a difference -- has to do with how quickly the skin cells turn over.

I'm not quite sure of how much to give him, though. Currently, I'm giving him 1200 mg once a day. Would that be enough for him? I'm keeping a close eye on him, and will def get him into the vet before too long, since I have to get him chipped anyway.

I was just thinking - the best way to describe what his skin looks like is cradle cap. It's that same, dry, scabby, can't get it off kinda skin.

Guest LoriEric

our Indy has the same thing going on- exactly like in the pic above. He'll be at the vet soon, hopefully within the next week, and I'll ask. He's not going for this problem, we just need to establish with a vet, and get him some heartworm meds. But I'm going to ask about the dry patches. Indy seems to be adjusting quite well to his new home, but still has a lot of nervous energy... we walk him, but then he's so tired he sleeps from 7pm-6am. It's either over excited or worn out; can't seem to find a happy medium. (my point being the adjustment to stress could be a part of the skin problem?) He's only been here 9 days.

Edited by LoriEric

Guest Swifthounds

I'm not quite sure of how much to give him, though. Currently, I'm giving him 1200 mg once a day. Would that be enough for him?

The 1200 mgs listed on the front of the bottle is just the amount of oil and has nothing to dp with dosages. Flip the bottle around and read how man mgs of DHA and EPA are in each cap. Be sure to look at how man gel caps they consider a serving - sometimes it's one and sometimes two. You want a minimum of 200mgs of combined DHA and EPA per 30# of body weight just for a maintenance dose (what all dog's not fed pasture raised meats should get). If you want to see akin improvement, work up to 300mgs combined DHA and EPA per 10#.

Guest UpperHandAndy

our Indy has the same thing going on- exactly like in the pic above. He'll be at the vet soon, hopefully within the next week, and I'll ask. He's not going for this problem, we just need to establish with a vet, and get him some heartworm meds. But I'm going to ask about the dry patches. Indy seems to be adjusting quite well to his new home, but still has a lot of nervous energy... we walk him, but then he's so tired he sleeps from 7pm-6am. It's either over excited or worn out; can't seem to find a happy medium. (my point being the adjustment to stress could be a part of the skin problem?) He's only been here 9 days.

Congrats on Indy! We've been pretty lucky that our adjustment has been pretty easy. Andy just sleeps a lot :) Good luck with Indy's skin - I will let you know if I find anything that helps Andy!

***The 1200 mgs listed on the front of the bottle is just the amount of oil and has nothing to dp with dosages. Flip the bottle around and read how man mgs of DHA and EPA are in each cap. Be sure to look at how man gel caps they consider a serving - sometimes it's one and sometimes two. You want a minimum of 200mgs of combined DHA and EPA per 30# of body weight just for a maintenance dose (what all dog's not fed pasture raised meats should get). If you want to see akin improvement, work up to 300mgs combined DHA and EPA per 10#. ***

Thank you, Swifthounds. I will figure out the math on that one ;)