Sa And Barking- Bounced Foster

My foster was returned due to SA. I can deal with the peeing/pooping in the house but I can't deal with the non-stop shrill barking.

I picked her up last Monday and she was fine the first 2 days.

She's getting worse each day. I can't leave the room, she will follow me or bark her head off if she can't see me.

Melatonin does nothing.

I dogsat her a couple times last year and she was not this bad. I don't know what happened to make her this anxious, stressed out dog.

On Sunday I was gone about 4 hours. She was barking when I left and barking when I got home.

This morning when I left for work, I could hear her barking outside with the windows shut. I stood next to my neighbors house and could hear her barking.

I can't have her barking all day long.

I emailed my group that I need to return her today. I can't risk getting a complaint or worse a ticket from the city.

I feel horrible and guilty.

She can't come to work with me. I did bring her to work Fri & Sat but I can't bring her to my day job.

I don't know what else I can do.

:(

edited to add: My other foster is now barking when I leave.

Edited by Wonder

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

The guilt is reducing me to tears.

I just called my group to see what else I can do. I don't want to give up on her after only a week.

We are supposed to crate but if she's not crated she will pee/poop in the house.

If they tell me not to crate her, I'll try that.

Kari and the pups.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Citronella barking collar? I used it on my dogs with good success, my SA dog was much better with the collar, it doesn't hurt them and they don't like the spray in their faces.

Also, I use benedryl to help Lulu when I am going to be gone for the day, 100mgs and she's good for hours. My vet is fully aware of the dosage and approves... we started out with 50mg and went to 75mg and then 100mg. No side effect, the dog is NOT drowsy, just laid back and doesn't seem to care if I'm gone. Like you, I cannot have her barking non stop for hours. She was on prozac for a while too, and that helped. I never tried the clomicalm for her.

Would they consider allowing you to use medication? It is only a temporary tool to help her learn coping skills. She may need something like a combination of medication to help her at first, Carl had to be on Valium and chlomipramine for a period of time, then I was able to taper off the use of Valium, he did well on the chlomipramine and we worked very hard on his issues. After I was able to take him off the chlomipramine I've kept Valium around on an as-needed basis. He needs it less and less, maybe once a year now for a day or two at the most, if that. I actually can't remember the last time he has needed it at home, probably over a year now. He has, however, needed it for long car rides.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Would they consider allowing you to use medication? It is only a temporary tool to help her learn coping skills. She may need something like a combination of medication to help her at first, Carl had to be on Valium and chlomipramine for a period of time, then I was able to taper off the use of Valium, he did well on the chlomipramine and we worked very hard on his issues. After I was able to take him off the chlomipramine I've kept Valium around on an as-needed basis. He needs it less and less, maybe once a year now for a day or two at the most, if that. I actually can't remember the last time he has needed it at home, probably over a year now. He has, however, needed it for long car rides.

I did ask about meds

I just went home and she wasn't barking. I left her in the livingroom with Passion and she wasn't barking when I left.

Crossing fingers that she doesn't pee/poop. I did take her out and she peed so she shouldn't have to go.

Kari and the pups.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

My suggestion would be to begin her alone training over again from the beginning, as if she never had been in a home before. t sounds like she got agitated at her adoptive home and they didn't deal with it effectively, so it caused her to regress and increase the bad behavior. Punitive measures for SA very rarely help eliminate the behavior. Usually it just makes them more scared when you leave.

Was she an only greyhound at her adoptive home? She might calm down on her own if there are other dogs in the house. Medication can help but it MUST be used in conjunction with behavior modification training.

Good luck!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest BrianRke

Thats a tough situation. Maybe she needs to go to a foster who is home most of the day and can gradually leave for short periods of time. I was able to do this with my SA dog and after about a year she is much much better.

Guest Gemma

I would try to get her on a course of anti-anxiety meds and start alone training 101. We have a foster who is medicated for SA (the first dog we have ever had to medicate) and she is doing so well that I wish we'd thought to put her on the meds sooner. I know that we'll eventually be able to wean her off them, and she seems so much happier in herself.

Good luck!

I would try to get her on a course of anti-anxiety meds and start alone training 101. We have a foster who is medicated for SA (the first dog we have ever had to medicate) and she is doing so well that I wish we'd thought to put her on the meds sooner. I know that we'll eventually be able to wean her off them, and she seems so much happier in herself.

Good luck!

I discussed this with my vet last night and we are going to start her on meds.

He thanked me for not quitting and giving up on her.

I guess she was peeing/pooping in the crate at the clinic. She hasn't done that at my house so that's a good sign.

This morning I told her, you are safe here. I will come home so be a good girl and no accidents. Then I kissed her nose and left. She's hanging out with Passion in the livingroom.

Also found out that she's been returned twice already :(

Poor girly

Kari and the pups.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Maybe she landed in the perfect place for her. Poor baby, two bounces. It sounds like you are doing a great job with her.

Seems like I get a lot of problem childs.

I do have Passion so she prepared me for the worst

:rofl

Kari and the pups.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17