Drinking Water During Day

I wasn't sure where to put this since it's not exactly an H&M question.

This is primarily for those of us who are out all day or for long periods without our dogs whether working, volunteering, school, etc. and there is no doggie door or dog walker available.

Does your dog(s) drink water during the day?

Magic drinks very little if any during the day when I'm out at work. Magic does have a full bowl of water available. I'm not sure if he doesn't drink because he knows he can't go out during the day or because he's too busy sleeping. He does drink normally when I'm home and can let him out. Since we don't have AC and I work close to home, I can come home at lunch break to let him out and, if necessary, give him more water.

I was wondering if this was common. Thank you.

Carol, missing Magic (1/5/01 - 4/15/15) but welcoming Fuzzy's Joy Behar (Joy) into my life on 5/31/15.

It's quite common. Most greys don't work up a thirst while their owners are away because most of the time they're just lying around. As long as he's drinking while you're at home, there's nothing to worry about.

Mine drink all day but I'm home all day and they're in and out of the heat all day long.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest Sunset123

Mine drinks very little during the day. I think it's just not worth the effort to get up from her bed! The water is always available if she wants it. Usually she'll only drink if she has some reason to be in the kitchen.

To make sure Arrisa drinks enough water, I always add water to her kibble. It's really helped her skin dryness.

My vet had me measure George's water intake over the course of a week. He drank EXACTLY two cups of water a day, which is well below what she guessed!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest goofydog

Get Em drinks very little during the day while I'm at work . He has adequate intake in the evenings and water added to his dinner. On weekends he will drink during the day if I'm home so I think he kind of self regulates, if that is possible, understanding that he can go out if needed.

Guest ravenchilde

Our grey is on a raw diet (she had nothing but bloody stools and sickness on various kibbles), and now she rarely drinks except after exercise. We keep water out for her, but its rare to witness it being used.

Our Cherry was able to stay while we both worked for well over 11 hours a day without a potty break. She was able to do this until well into her 13th year, and would often make it 13 hours without issue. I noticed several times that she would greet us when we got home and then head to the water dish and drink like mad while I was getting things ready for her walk. I think they are very smart animals and somehow knew to limit water intake until she was sure she could go out shortly. About mid way through her 13th year we started to have a dog walker in to allow her a break mid day but she never had any issues and did as yours is doing. Hope this helps.

Guest mbfilby

Our dogs have drinking water available when we are not home, but they very seldom drink much. I think it's mostly due to the fact that they just sleep if we aren't home.

We always have fresh water available, and all greys through this house may sip a bit during the day while we're gone, but do a "big drink" once or twice per day, usually in the evenings, usually after dinner. I think that's normal.