Betty Joan Update

A quick update on Betty Joan. As mentioned in my earlier post, it's been a rough couple of months, with nearly three weeks of diarrhea, getting moderately better from that, and then the scary stroke-like incident. That occurred nearly two weeks ago. We had our second vet follow-up today, and our first non-critical visit in what feels like quite a while.

As for what was causing so much diarrhea, it's still uncertain, but it wasn't a parasite (Giardia). There were some strange bacterias showing up in the tests, but its unsure if they're related. Just Greyhound intestinal problems, I guess? We're getting another round of blood work now just to check everything out.

Without going into more exhaustive tests, it's likely that the neurological incident was either a small stroke or vestibular syndrome. Betty Joan is recovering quite well, walking very well, and is showing a lot of her old excitement and attitude. She was even happy to see the vet! (We use a mobile vet who comes to us, and we were out in the parking lot when he showed up, and she was quite fine to go over and say high with her tail wagging). The strongest symptom left over from The Incident is nystagmus, which occurs most when she's looking up. She still shows a bit of head tilt, but she's not off balance.

Hypertension / high blood pressure is effectively ruled out at present as none of the recent blood work has shown signs of that, but may be something to look at going forward.

We'll know the latest blood results on Thursday.

It's all pretty good, so far!

I may have shared this picture already, but I love it. My queen of unflappable cool:

5821774079_54720001dd.jpg

jeffbettybanner2.jpg

Betty "Beauty" Joan. 63B-21375. June 2003 - March 2015. Thank you pretty girl!

I'm so glad she's feeling better!

Have you had her tested for Tick Born Diseases? I'd suggest that testing, from NC State (someone will correct me if I'm wrong), since you have not other answers so far.

Edited by gracegirl

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

Have you had her tested for Tick Born Diseases? I'd suggest that testing, from NC State (someone will correct me if I'm wrong).

I asked about this, but tick born diseases are very uncommon here (mountain deserts of Salt Lake City, UT), and we haven't traveled anywhere with them.

jeffbettybanner2.jpg

Where did she race? Sometimes they lay dormant for years before symptoms begin to appear.

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

So glad she is better! She is such a lovely, sweet girl :wub: .

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Glad to hear your girlie is doing much better! :) BTW, Oklahoma has LOTS of nasty critters and TBDs. B)

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

It's good to see that Betty Joan is doing so well and continues to improve. Beautiful photo of your lovely girl. wub.gif

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

Hi Jeff,

Sorry to hear about Betty Joan! but glad to know she is feeling better!!!

xoxox to her, and hugs to you

Casey and i moved to phx AZ this month, email me lorindastack@yahoo.com if you need extra support or want any solicited advise.

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

Thanks all. I should hear the results of her latest blood panel tomorrow. I'm a bit concerned about some of her organs, still (drinking a lot of water, urine seems pretty diluted, but it's not 100% clear). This may be getting thrown off by the fact that summer temperatures are finally creeping in here. We'll see what the blood results say. I may just be extra paranoid after all that's happened.

As for her mood and energy, Betty seems almost puppy-like! She's insistent about having dinner and dances about when it's actual dinnertime; she's insistent about getting desert, and about laying down with me to watch TV afterwards. She's very excited to see other dogs and neighbors. She's pretty close to her classic form, with just a bit of lingering head tilt and nystagmus. All of this has me feeling pretty good about her recovery, especially for just two weeks after having to leave her overnight at the emergency vet for the first time, not knowing what the outcome might be (and really fearing for the worst for the first time).

:)

Time to give Betty some extra hugs before bedtime.

jeffbettybanner2.jpg