Hi From Iowa

tuff

I've been mostly lurking here since last August and thought it was time to introduce my greys. I've had large dogs for about 15 years, all rescued from various shelters but I have always had a thing for greys. When Angus, my Newfie mix died in August I started to look into getting a grey. I visited the closest adoption org a couple of times and decided I had to have a grey, although my DH wasn't sold.

We took a road trip with our two other dogs to meet some greys :rolleyes:

IMG_0112-1-1.jpg

I already had my eye on a boy who had been at the kennel for a year, but he did not take a liking to Tuff, and my DH informed me he did not like "swirly" dogs (aka brindles :angryfire )

I wanted to adopt somebody who had been at the kennel the longest, so next we met RJ's Hey Jude, a 5 year old girly. My husky is very loud, and obnoxious and Jude was pretty much unphased by her :colgate

IMG_0119-1.jpg

Next we met a big black 2 year old. One look at Gracie and he wanted back in his kennel.

So next we met his brother T's Hard Top. He also was unphased. We took Top and our dogs outside to further greet each other:

DH really liked Top

IMG_0142-1.jpg

Then we decided to bring Jude out too. Once she got out and wasn't captive in the meet and greet room, she ran behind the volunteer and wouldn't come to either me or my husband. I thought she might not be the best choice as my DH is not a very patient individual. I was leaning toward Top for this reason.

We let them all mingle and they seemed to get along.

IMG_0146-1.jpg

I asked DH what he thought and he said "Do you want to get them both?" :o:o

I knew we didn't need 4 dogs but I couldn't turn down the offer :colgate

So...

Introducing T's Hard Top, now known as "Topper"

DSC_0128-1.jpg

And RJ's Hey Jude, now known as "Jujube"

DSC_0027.jpg

I am totally in love with them both. Jujube is a little stinker who steals shoes, digs holes and antagonizes the nongreys. She has totally bonded with me. She does not like men and avoids my husband.

Topper is just a super sweet, grade A counter surfer who loves belly rubs but refuses to get on the furniture and has to be hoisted into the car. He figured out stairs in 15 minutes but can't jump to save his soul.

Our Pack:DSC_0246-2.jpg

Gratuitous shots :)DSC_0010.jpgDSC_0703_edited-1.jpg

Thanks for reading.

Julie

siggy2.jpg

Welcome and congratulations! I know the new Topper and Jujube from the QCGA website -- my Beth is a QCGA hound too, and there are a bunch of other folks with QCGA and local connections here.

Where in Iowa are you? We have regular events in the Iowa City area (including a greyhound playdate scheduled for May 28) and some starting in Cedar Rapids as well as those in the QC area. I'm in Waterloo but come down for most of the IC events.

Don't miss the QCGA reunion picnic in September, it's a lot of fun!

Your other dogs are very cute too. I love the Husky expression in the second pic!

Edited by PrairieProf

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Guest sheila

they are very very pretty. Just a note for your DH, when I first began looking at GH's I also thought the brindles were weird looking. That was then and this is now and I have had two fawns, one black tuxedo, and THREE brindles. Go figure! At the end of the day it's personality that matters most and I've found that the brindles can be exceptionally good looking. They are always the ones that get noticed in a crowd.

One time while I walked a fawn and a brindle and a kidlet asked me, 'Why does one have stripes and the other doesn't?' I replied, 'Well I gave that one a bath and all the stripes just washed right off!''

:lol

Welcome from central New Jersey. I have had two really big boys who refuse to jump up into the car/truck. People always think it is weird, as if all dogs jump naturally into a vehicle. Your dogs are very handsome.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Welcome from Illinois. All my hounds have come from QCGA. We are about an hour east of the kennel. :wave:wave There are a couple of others on the board from QCGA. We have a meet & greet in Sterling IL the first Saturday of the month. Hope to see you at the reunion in September.

Cully & the kids (pictured below)

waiting at the bridge Connie Van Teddy & Jojo, Cobra

Welcome! I know Top and Jude...I helped take care of them while they lived at QCGA's kennel :) Top and his brothers are all very cool dogs (their brother Ragtop is still waiting for a home, if you happen to have a friend that might be interested in adopting :)). Jude was always a quiet soul and a very good girl at the kennel.

I live in the Quad Cities and there are several other Greytalkers that do as well. Send me a message if you'd like to get on the mailing list for meet and greets (or if you're closer to Anne/PrairieProf, send her a message)! As Cully said, we also go to Sterling, IL once a month for a meet and greet in the mall.

Congratulations on your additions! :)

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Guest zombrie

All your pups are beautiful! And I must say, your husband is awesome :eek My dad wouldn't be caught dead saying "get both" to my mom!!

Welcome and congratulations! I know the new Topper and Jujube from the QCGA website -- my Beth is a QCGA hound too, and there are a bunch of other folks with QCGA and local connections here.

Where in Iowa are you? We have regular events in the Iowa City area (including a greyhound playdate scheduled for May 28) and some starting in Cedar Rapids as well as those in the QC area. I'm in Waterloo but come down for most of the IC events.

Don't miss the QCGA reunion picnic in September, it's a lot of fun!

Your other dogs are very cute too. I love the Husky expression in the second pic!

Thanks for the welcome :)

I'm in Cedar Rapids. I'd love to help with meet and greets or get involved with playdates. Unfortunately we will be at the inlaws in Wisc. for the weekend of May 28.

siggy2.jpg

There will be a M&G Saturday June 5 10-2 at the Petco in Coralville, and one Saturday June 18th, 12-2 at Petco in Marion. We would definitely welcome your help, and it's a great way to make friends in the greyhound community. :)

To be added to the list for Iowa City events, email Jamie Sharp <cjgo05@hotmail.com>. For the Cedar Rapids list, contact Sue Payne <payneia68@aol.com>.

Welcome! I know Top and Jude...I helped take care of them while they lived at QCGA's kennel :) Top and his brothers are all very cool dogs (their brother Ragtop is still waiting for a home, if you happen to have a friend that might be interested in adopting :)). Jude was always a quiet soul and a very good girl at the kennel.

I live in the Quad Cities and there are several other Greytalkers that do as well. Send me a message if you'd like to get on the mailing list for meet and greets (or if you're closer to Anne/PrairieProf, send her a message)! As Cully said, we also go to Sterling, IL once a month for a meet and greet in the mall.

Congratulations on your additions! :)

I would love to have Ragtop too :blush I keep checking the site and hoping somebody has adopted him :( Mike was the boy I had originally liked. I was so glad when somebody took him home. I'm on the volunteer list at QCGA also but have only been down a handful of Saturdays. Its pretty far from me and I can't commit to a set day due to working some weekends. It seems like when I am available and when help is needed don't mesh.

Jude would suprise you :colgate She is not the quiet soul she appeared to be. When I am home and DH is not around she really comes out of her shell. She gets much crazier than Topper, although both like stuffies. I intended to keep her name as Jude, but it just had too harsh of a sound for such a gentle girl.

siggy2.jpg

There will be a M&G Saturday June 5 10-2 at the Petco in Coralville, and one Saturday June 18th, 12-2 at Petco in Marion. We would definitely welcome your help, and it's a great way to make friends in the greyhound community. :)

To be added to the list for Iowa City events, email Jamie Sharp <cjgo05@hotmail.com>. For the Cedar Rapids list, contact Sue Payne <payneia68@aol.com>.

Wow, I'm actually in town and not working either weekend :colgate I will email them.

Do you bring your dogs, or adoptables from the the kennel?

siggy2.jpg

Wow, I'm actually in town and not working either weekend :colgate I will email them.

Do you bring your dogs, or adoptables from the the kennel?

In this area we bring our own dogs; it's too far from the kennel. The dogs like it because they get to hang around with other greyhounds and get lots of attention from people. Of course you need to be the judge of yours, whether they will find the environment comfortable or still too scary (maybe a "dry run" walk around a Petco or Petsmart first if you haven't done that?) -- of course at least some of the hounds have experience doing M&Gs while they were at the kennel. As long as yours aren't spooky types, they should be fine.

I may be at the June 5 one and would be pleased to meet you! Only thing that will prevent it is that Beth has a severe foot injury and it may be too soon to ask her to stand around for two hours or so. But if not then, I should be at future ones.

Edited by PrairieProf

I have friends that live in the Cedar Rapids area, they have two greyhounds, but at the moment are a bit preoccupied as the wife has pancreatic cancer :(

Mike was a really cool dog, I was happy to see him adopted as well :nod There are a few out there that have been there a while and I would be THRILLED to see them go home. Carl has been with the group a long time, but he is SO.SHY. He really needs to go to a home experienced with shy greyhounds, and a home that has another confident greyhound already.

Hoping you can make it out to the reunion in September, I'd love to meet you!

Anne, I'd like to come out for the playdate - shoot me some information (though I think it's on the QCGA website, so I could just stop being lazy and go look :lol)

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Welcome -- nice-looking pack! Jujube will probably keep on surprising you (Topper, too!) as their pet personalities develop.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Guest OMGiluvgreys

Congrats on your new editions. They are both greyt looking pups.

I too said I never wanted a brindle. Everytime I was picking up dogs from Dairyland for the group I was with this little Red Brindle named Rooftop Bugsy was always making herself known. We would watch her race and play with her when we were there. I decided that we wanted her. Itold her trainer when she's done she's mine. Well she's mine!

Edited by OMGiluvgreys