Hints On Scab Removal

Ryder has a scab that is coming off naturally, so it's not that I want to take the scab OFF. The problem is, all Ryder's fur is stuck and he actually lay down yesterday and yelped because the scab came off his boo boo and pulled on all his fur. It's a large scab, and I didn't think about shaving the hair when he scraped himself that day to prevent all these owies. We've all scraped our knee at some point, and if you were lucky enough to have it happen in a hairy region, you know how painful it can be when it comes off.

I put some Vaseline to soften it up, any other hints?

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

I would just moisten the area with some warm water. Or even just stand him in the tub and wash him off, the scab will soften and you can either just wash it off with the shower nozzle or take it off yourself.

Scabs are there for a purpose tho... so if you are sure that the scab is just falling off you can take it off, but if it's large and would start bleeding again I would leave it alone. Better to have a few pulled hairs than to have an open, bleeding sore again.

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

Guest d0ggiem0mma

Get a washcloth soaked in warm water and hold it directly on the scab. The warm water with soften the scab. You can either work it out when it's soft, or try cutting some of the fur around the scab. Good luck!

If you're trimming, just be careful with the scissors. It sounds retarded and you think, "of course I'll be careful" but I clipped some pine sap out of Summer's fur one day and, unbelievably, I actually cut her with the scissors! I was so surprised! -- I've trimmed and clipped cats and dogs many times before but never a greyhound. Apparently, it can be very difficult to know where the skin is! And Summer didn't make a sound or even flinch. And now she has a little scar where bad Momma nipped her.

Edited by OwnedBySummer

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

I would just moisten the area with some warm water. Or even just stand him in the tub and wash him off, the scab will soften and you can either just wash it off with the shower nozzle or take it off yourself.

Scabs are there for a purpose tho... so if you are sure that the scab is just falling off you can take it off, but if it's large and would start bleeding again I would leave it alone. Better to have a few pulled hairs than to have an open, bleeding sore again.

Agreed. The skin under the little part that did "break off" bled a little bit. Poor guy. I'll try to soften the edges with warm water, but I don't want to remove it, unless it's willing to come off on it's own. It is, as already stated, there for a purpose.

Proudly owned by:

Another option is "Animal Scents Ointment" by Young Living (check out their website) -- it's a thickish salve (sorta like Bag Balm) made with essential oils; gentle, no chemicals or yucky stuff.

One of my hounds, a very limber one at that, scratched a coin-size chunk of skin and fur off the back of his ear. Took me awhile to figure out what happened; he likes to scratch the back of his neck with a hind leg (wish I could do that) and I suspect he had a rough toenail. Did go to see the doc who prescribed antibiotics and a topical ointment; however, my petsitter brought me a sample of Animal Scents which I used on my boy's ear as it started to heal.

I have to say I was extremely impressed. In fact, the area healed completely and most of the fur grew back. Healed the wound and lubricated the scab enough to keep the area from getting itchy. Frankly, it did a better job than the ointment the vet gave me. Good luck! :)

Edited by IndyandHollyluv

Well Vaseline all day long yesterday and soaking it this morning with water didn't really release any fur away from the scab. The scab is actually holding onto the wound for the most part. I think I will focus on it when the scab removes off the wound a bit more. To force it off with anything else would be wrong. When it's "healed" I might just have to resort to clipping the scab off instead.

Proudly owned by:

While I may have thought it was going to take a couple more days for the scab to come off and loosen...guess what wasn't there this morning!

He either ate it or it fell off somewhere, but the scab is gone, so is all the fur and a lovely red mark is left behind. I put some CS on it to keep it bacteria free and off we go. It appears as though the Vaseline and water soak did help a day earlier.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions!

Proudly owned by: