Is White Rice A Suitable Mix In?

Guest Shermanator

Guest Shermanator

Travel was horrible sick on Friday, so she's been on a diet of white rice. And, not to leave Echo out, she had some too. Well, they both LOVED it. We free feed, with a little mix in of wet food in as a treat. Would it be harmful if I subsitutied one meal's mix in with rice? The only worry I think of is weight gain, but they'd maybe get 2T once a day. Thoughts?

Does mostly add a little fiber, not much else. If they like it and you have it I would do it.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Since you are free-feeding, wouldn't the rice dry out if they didn't eat it right away? :dunno

How about green beans?

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Since you are free-feeding, wouldn't the rice dry out if they didn't eat it right away? :dunno

How about green beans?

I free feed but they get a smal amount of kibble with add ins twice a day when Poodle gets his shots to make sure he eats. I don't mix the rice or canned in with the free feed bowl.

It is a small handful of kibble (a tad more for Poodle as that is his whole meal for the most part), about 2 T. of canned each and whatever veggies, rice etc. need to be used up (these go in Barkley and foster girl, not Poodle except greens, etc.).

Our twice a day feeding/add ins are small and never have the chance to dry out. :blush They are gone in two minutes.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest KennelMom

there's not much nutrition in rice, esp compared to other nutrient-dense foods, but if you just want to add in extra calories, it's fine.

Guest Shermanator

The girls always eat their mix-ins entirely. :) As for eating wo mix ins? Those monkeys graze all day. As for weight gain, since we free feed, I am very diligent about watching them. I am always watching their shapes, to make sure they are not over eating, and I adjust as needed.

Will the extra fiber help firm up their poops?