New Collar Choking My Greyhound Puppy

Guest der_Windhund

Guest der_Windhund

We have a 6 month old greyhound/wolfhound puppy. When we got him, he was only used to a regular collar, which he slipped out of and we had no control.

I just got his new 1.5 inch martingale, but he is always choking in it. Does he just have to get used to it??Will he just have to learn that when he pulls, it will tighten and choke him?

He is still a puppy, and very excitable and doesnt know his boundaries

th_collar.jpg

Guest der_Windhund

I gave the measurements and had the collar made. Collar is lose when he doesnt pull or jump, but as soon as he agressivley pulls it tightens and chokes him a bit

Guest sheila

does it sit loosely on his neck and only tightens up when he pulls hard, or is it always tight? If it only gets tight when he pulls then perhaps you should train a heel command maybe in conjunction with a harness for now until he learns this. However if it is ALWAYS too tight then it sounds like the connector is too small.

Guest Audeamus

My coyote hound would "choke" himself too when he was first learning how to walk on leash. It would "choke up" when he would pull away, try to chase a cat or try to bolt. When he would be walking nicely it would fit exactly how it was supposed to fit, with two fingers distance. What worked for us, kinda, is clicker training. Click and treat when he is walking nicely where you want him to walk with you, be in at your side, a little bit in front of you, where ever and he should get the hang of it soon.

Good luck.

Guest IrskasMom

Personaly ,I think a No Pull Harness would be best for a Puppy . The Collar is Beautiful and yes when he pulls it closes in .The Harness is just easyier on the Neck and he can't slip out of it . 2Hound Design has them or also google WiggleWags and Whiskers. :)

No, the collar won't train him on its own - if left alone many dogs will just keep pulling and choking themselves. You need to train him not to pull, I would recommend a training class ideally one for puppies.

Sounds like it's not the collar that's choking your puppy. He's choking himself when he pulls. If a dog pulls hard while wearing pretty much any neck collar, he's going to choke. Using a body harness is easier on their neck and won't cause choking, but you need to be careful about fitting it to make sure he can't back out. More importantly, you need to teach him not to pull on the leash. Here's a recent thread with a lot of tips on teaching heel and loose leash walking. Good luck with your boy!

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Try this for teaching loose leash walking. "Shaping Polite Walking with high rate of reinforcement" This truly works. It helps teach the dog that the point is to keep the leash loose at all times. This isn't teaching healing in the the position of the dog is not the point. It shows the dog that he is responsible for keeping the leash loose & in return he will be rewarded. Eventually you get a dog who walks well on a loose leash.

Guest KennelMom

you have to train him to have leash manners. The choking action of a martingale should be just enough so the dog won't back out...it's not to teach them proper leash skills.

Edited by KennelMom

you have to train him to have leash manners. The chocking action of a martingale should be just enough so the dog won't back out...it's not to teach them proper leash skills.

well said, heather. a collar is one of the many tools that you will use in training. it sounds like it's time to enroll your pup in obedience classes so YOU will learn how to direct his energy into the actions desired. it's lots of work, but lots of fun! be patient, your pup is right is starting adolescence and the brain is not connected to the body : :crazy . but this too shall pass. i often forget about how crazy felix was at that age. i started obedience work at 12 weeks w/ him and took a break somewhere around 9 months since he was soooooo nutzo. is your pup neutered yet?

Edited by cleptogrey

You might like using a harness. I prefer using a harness for my standard poodle who has tons of energy...gives me control and no more choking herself. Also use a harness with my sometimes spooky grey.

Guest Swifthounds

Collars don't choke puppies. Puppies choke puppies.

Harnesses teach pulling dogs that pulling is a good thing.

exactly!

it's different w/ a spooky hound,a harness can be a real asset. but puppies need to learn. also consider upping his exercise time and teaching him how to catch tennis balls, soccer balls and frisbees. jolly balls for horses are fantastic. he's at the perfect age and it will burn up some of that crazy puppy energy. then after a good stiff play session, try some training. i always gave my pups a workout before obedience classes. when i didn't ....omg...words can not describe what was at the other end of the leash!

Edited by cleptogrey

Harnesses do not teach pulling any more than collars choke puppies. Harnesses are inanimate objects. It is the humans using the collars or harnesses that allow & unintentionally reinforce pulling on leash. It is no more or less difficult to teach a dog to walk on a loose leash with a harness than it is with a collar.

Guest Swifthounds

Harnesses do not teach pulling any more than collars choke puppies. Harnesses are inanimate objects. It is the humans using the collars or harnesses that allow & unintentionally reinforce pulling on leash. It is no more or less difficult to teach a dog to walk on a loose leash with a harness than it is with a collar.

Harnesses implies "use of the harness by the human." It would certainly be ill advised for a harness to be on a dog when it's not being walked. Using a harness tips the leverage in favor of the pulling dog, making it easier for the dog to pull and harder for the foolish human to think his way out of the problem.

Harnesses implies "use of the harness by the human." It would certainly be ill advised for a harness to be on a dog when it's not being walked.

I made no such suggestion. I was merely pointing out that your logic on harnesses is completely reversed from your statement about collars. In both cases it is the human who trains the dog. Collars, harnesses & leashed are merely safety devices.

Guest Swifthounds

Harnesses implies "use of the harness by the human." It would certainly be ill advised for a harness to be on a dog when it's not being walked.

I made no such suggestion. I was merely pointing out that your logic on harnesses is completely reversed from your statement about collars. In both cases it is the human who trains the dog. Collars, harnesses & leashed are merely safety devices.

Well, except where you have a dog that's already pulling, giving him more leverage in a harness gives him the ability to largely ignore the person on the other end of the leash. Watch the Surfing shoppers being dragged along through Dewey because they think harnesses are safer or more secure. Harnesses give you less physical control of the dog, period. Should you need a harness or a collar to control the dog? No, but where you've already got a dog that is pulling, a harness tips the odds, but not in your favor.

I'll just chime in that our girl pulled a bit when we first got her but when we switched to a harness for her she stopped pulling... maybe it was just former training that she knew to "behave" when in the harness.

And did make keeping her "at the heel" easier since we did not need to "choke" her to do this.

Amy and Tim in Beverly, MA, with Chase and Always missing Kingsley (Drama King) and Ruby (KB's Bee Bopper).

The Wiggles, Wags, and Whiskers harnesses tighten around the ribcage when the dog pulls, so, it's likely if you're going to use a harness on a dog that pulls, that's the kind you'd want to use for training purposes. Hence why it's called the No-Pull Harness.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--