Fostering Question

Guest mollieandme

Guest mollieandme

Rocko is my first foster. After three months in my home, he is bonding with me; he follows me around and apparently has less of an appetitie when I'm gone.

I assume this is not unusual. How do most dogs react when going from their foster home to permanent home? I'm interested in hearing stories and would like to know what to tell his adopters they can expect.

That sounds normal to me. Remember that the dogs don't know that you are a foster home. They think they are home so bonding with you is normal and in my opinion is a good thing because it means you are doing your job well. There will definitely be an adjustment for the dog when he goes to his forever home, but he will adjust, it just takes some time.

My personal experience is that most fosters go to their forever homes and don't look back, no matter how much they love you. They have that ability to live in the moment and (for the most part) love whomever they are with. I have had a few ego-bruising moments when I've been reunited with foster dogs that I had a really strong bond with--I was certain they would greet me with unbridled enthusiasm and the joy of having found a long lost love. They didn't. I am a loving foster mom, and they have a happy life with me, but I think it takes years to build up that kind of bond. And that is a really good thing. You can let them go to their forever homes and not worry that they won't be able to move on. They really do.

S.jpg

I agree with Shaysmom. I see one of my former fosters twice a month at our M&G. I had him as a foster for 9 months. He was my Velcro dog when he lived with me. Now he treats me just like all of the other dog owners.

Mom to Nodens( Carl Lackey)and Pywackett (kittie)

My personal experience is that most fosters go to their forever homes and don't look back, no matter how much they love you. They have that ability to live in the moment and (for the most part) love whomever they are with. I have had a few ego-bruising moments when I've been reunited with foster dogs that I had a really strong bond with--I was certain they would greet me with unbridled enthusiasm and the joy of having found a long lost love. They didn't. I am a loving foster mom, and they have a happy life with me, but I think it takes years to build up that kind of bond. And that is a really good thing. You can let them go to their forever homes and not worry that they won't be able to move on. They really do.

:nod

That's not to say that you won't meet old fosters and have them greet you enthusiastically. Unlike Silversmom, my 9 monther is over the top when she sees me a lot of the time, but she is a weird spooky dog who I fostered twice so it makes sense that she would have bonded with me a lot. Others act is if they don't recognize me. Either way, they will adapt relatively easily. I remember the first 6 months to a year that I fostered I used to have a "talk" with my foster before the adopters came. I would get all teary telling him or her that me sending him on to another home didn't mean I didn't love him, b/c to me it felt like something of a betrayal to not be able to explain why they were moving on. But I know now that was for me, not the dog.

Trust me, it does get easier to see them go. Part of that I think is seeing how they flourish in their new homes. :nod

Kudos to you for fostering too. :)

Oh, to answer your last question, I would just inform them about potential transition issues (issues you had to deal with initially that may resurface, although likely to a lesser degree), as well as typical things like having to reinforce housetraining, not vocalizing, etc.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Depends on the dog and the situation. I have had them never look back and go to their new home without any issues. The bounce we got in November had a defintie re-adjustment period of a good three months before her personality started really showing up. She was fine - eating, drinking, playing, sleeping - everything pretty greyhound normal. But after about three months she began opening up and blossoming.

So it just depends.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest june

I visited my favorite foster about a year after he left my home. His new Mom and I kept in touch by phone and email. When I arrived he was happy to see me and greeted me but then went and lay down by his new Mom as if to say, "Nice seeing you, but I'm staying here." When he was in my home he would lay by my chair and follow me around. Now he is doing the same with his new Mom. I love it!

:gh_lay

june

Guest mollieandme

Thanks everyone, that helps. I figured that if he finds a home and forgets who I am, I've done my job. I haven't had such a sticky dog though, so I thought I'd ask. My girls have always been more independent. I actually feel kinda bad when I head into the kitchen for a soda or something and he leaps up to follow me, only to come right back. However… it’s a moment of excitement punctuating an otherwise boring day. For both of us, come to think of it.

Thanks everyone, that helps. I figured that if he finds a home and forgets who I am, I've done my job. I haven't had such a sticky dog though, so I thought I'd ask. My girls have always been more independent. I actually feel kinda bad when I head into the kitchen for a soda or something and he leaps up to follow me, only to come right back. However… it’s a moment of excitement punctuating an otherwise boring day. For both of us, come to think of it.

I've found that males tend to be more "sticky" - so if you've only had girls that could be part of the difference.

Most fosters we've had have adjusted quite well to transitioning into real family life - the ones that have had issues - weren't because they "missed" ME - just had trouble adjusting to a new situation.

Greys are amazingly adaptable - and DO live in the moment. A nice person is often interchangeable for the next nice person. Ego bruising it is! :blush

I have had just a couple fosters DEFINATELY remember me. One nearly ripped its owner's arm out of the socket at a group picnic when it saw me get out of my car - and dragged her several feet to get to me. That was kinda cool. ;) But that's the exception - that foster had been with us over a year. Most fosters that I see later on - treat me like any other stranger they meet. That's just the way it is - and I'm glad.

Our current grey, Diana, has been with us for around 3 years now, and although she adores us, if she had to be re-homed, she'd be fine. She's just happy and easy-going. My first grey, Sobe - would've died if we re-homed him after living with us. It depends on the dog - but 95% of them - are 100% fine with moving on.

Greyhounds are the Forrest Gump of the dog world. :)

Guest mollieandme

Greys are amazingly adaptable - and DO live in the moment. A nice person is often interchangeable for the next nice person. Ego bruising it is! :blush

On other parts of the interwebs, I'm known as zenhound, a name I came up wth after watching my dogs stare at nothing for hours. They could probably out-meditate a zen monk, at least until I announced cookies were available.