Interceptor

Went to vet today to pick up Interceptor. I've been a knucklehead lately and about 4-6 mos have gone by since his last dose. I know.... :withstupid

So my vet goes on to tell me that I need a worm test thing done before I allow him to go on it again. He was dewormed about 6 or so times before I got him two years ago at GAA. I put him through it again when I got him just in case before I started the Interceptor. I just had a $400 bill from the e-vet last week (no worries, he's fine) and this stuff doesn't come cheap.

Is it necessary to have a worm test done? If so, I'll do it.... but I wanted to ask you wise grey-owners and not totally rely on the money-hungry vet! :rolleyes:

Thanks!

Guest KennelMom

Your vet is recommending a heartworm test. Most vets won't (can't) dispense prevention w/o a current hw test. So, you'll need to have it done...and I recommend it (ESP if you live in a mosquito area)

You need to have a heartworm test done on your dog before a vet will prescribe Interceptor.

I had our prescriptions filled via Valley Vet Supply (Direct Pet Superstore) - they offered free shipping, and had the best price I found this spring. Their website is www.valleyvet.com .

You won't be able to save on the cost of the test, but you can pay less for the actual preventive medicine by shopping around some.

I paid $38.95 for a 6 month supply for each of my dogs.

gus-rainy-1.jpg?1449508527184&1449508632
CORY and CRICKET - Solitary Tremble & CASPER - Pj's Mia Farrow
* With CAPT. GUS - Solitary Trigger, RAINY - Peach Rain, PUP - Red Zepher, DOC - CTW Fort Sumpter
and MAX - Shiowa's Silver Maxamillion / Afghan .... all waiting at the bridge

We get our HW test at the shot clinic for $20. Maybe you could ask around about shot clinics, etc?

Good idea! I can also go up to NGAP (National Greyhound Adoption Program) in Philadelphia... it's about an hour or so drive. I go there for teeth cleaning, shots, etc. But I'll check to see if one is closer.

Thanks everyone... just needed to make sure it was needed. :)

Guest d0ggiem0mma

Test is definitely needed!!!

Most vets require a test once a year even if you swear the dog never missed a dose. If he's missed 6 months of doses it is dangerous to start using heartworm meds without testing.

Heartworm meds work by killing the little baby worms before they can cause trouble. It takes a couple months for the baby worms to reach adulthood. After they become adults, the heartworm meds can still kill them... but the dead adult worms can act like blood clots or cause a life threatening allergic reaction.

My vet told me if I keep Lila on the Interceptor year round he would only need to test her every two years. If we stopped the medicine for the winter he would need to test her before starting up again.

Lila Football
Jerilyn, missing Lila (Good Looking), new Mistress to Wiki (PJ Wicked).