My Cat Is Peeing On My Dog Beds

I know this is a Greyhound behavior forum, but I didn't know of a better place to turn.

I've had my hounds two and a half years (Ringo) and a little over a year ( Paul). The cars were here first. This behavior just started about two weeks ago.

Any ideas. I've already had to throw two beds away.

Mom to:

Littermates Ringo (Pak Sgt Pepper)at the bridge, Paul (Pak Penny Lane) and John (Pak Let it Be). The three reunited Beatle Brothers.

Guest Wasserbuffel

If there hasn't been anything in the last few days that had scared or stressed the cat out, it's probably a UTI. That's the most likely cause for inappropriate urination in a cat who hasn't had problems in the past.

I have 4 healthy cats and one grey, the cats were here first, and they would use the dog bed as a litter box all the time if I let them, even though they're perfectly healthy, have access to the outdoors AND have a litter box. The odd thing is that your cats haven't done this for 2.5 years, so yes, maybe it's URI and I would have them checked, also.

Cats are very odd and moody creatures as far as urinating and also, in some cases, defecating goes. The places that mine have chosen, completely (seemingly) at random, for elimination, are too many to count. It seems to me that since they've gotten older, it's gotten even worse. They're between 11 and 15 now. So it could be entirely behavior related with your cats. If they're outdoor cats, there might be a new cat on the block who they're having an issue with.

At any rate, what I've had to do was keep the cats separate from the dogs, unfortunately, so they can't piss on his bed. It's they only thing that works.

One of my cats will pee on the dog beds if it's been a while since I've washed them. They aren't *dirty* but may have a certain smell to them. My solution is just to wash them more often.

I had an old sleeping bag that the dogs used to lay on that was nylon...shiny material. For some reason the cat that pees on the beds if they're dirty would ALWAYS pee on that sleeping bag. I don't know if it's the material or what, but I just got rid of it and we haven't had any more issues.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Guest Gert

If there hasn't been anything in the last few days that had scared or stressed the cat out, it's probably a UTI. That's the most likely cause for inappropriate urination in a cat who hasn't had problems in the past.

This.

Guest d0ggiem0mma

It is rather unlikely that both cats would break with a UTI at the same time, but it is a good idea to have their urine checked anyhow.

If it is not a UTI, it is behavioral. Any change in routine or environment can really stress out a cat. Anyhow- here's the behavior stuff to try:

Litter boxes- you should have 1 more boxes than cats so 2 cats = 3 litter boxes. Spread the boxes out so there is at least 1 on each floor of your house and don't put them right next to each other. Keep them away from noisy things like air handlers, washing machines, etc. that could startle the kitty. DO NOT use boxes with hoods. Hood trap in smells so we can't smell them but it makes it REALLY smelly for the cat.

Scooping- All litter boxes should be scooped at least once a day. Completely empty, rinse, and refill the box once a week. Do not use harsh chemicals like bleach or ammonia to clean the box, just soapy water. If the box is really beat up consider replacing it.

Litter- Use a litter with very fine particles, as closer to sand than gravel. The best litter on the market is "Precious Cat" Avoid anything that is heavily scented too.

Mistakes- Clean up mistakes as soon as possible. Blot up as much as you can by putting a folded towel down and standing on the towel for a few minutes. Then treat the area with a enzyme cleaner like "Urine Off." Saturate the area and let it sit for at least 5 minutes, then use a clean towel to blot up again. Consider putting waterproof covers on your dog beds so the filling doesn't get wet- then you can just wash the covers.

Feliway- This is a pheromone product (like D.A.P.) that helps to calm cats down. It can work miracles. Buy a diffuser and put it in the room your cats are having accidents.

There is a lot more GREAT information on living & problem solving with kitties at the OSU Indoor Pet Initiative WEBSITE

I agree; a healthy cat doesn't just randomly start peeing outside of the litter box unless it's not clean enough, or it's been moved, or the litter type has changed...

Did you do anything like that?

Cats are extremely clean animals, and of there is anything unacceptable to them about their box, and they find another place to go they prefer.

What I would do if my cat started this is confine it to a bathroom with a lovely clean litter box and see what happens.

Given no other options, it'll most likely use the box, and hopefully after medical issues are ruled out you can retrain it to go where its supposed to.

I have two cats, two boxes, and I clean them twice a day.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

It is a little unclear to me whether there is one or two cats peeing outside the box. The title indicates one, but saying the cats were here first, maybe more than one having issues.

If it is just one, another thing to consider other than a UTI is bladder stones. Very painful, and caused exactly this behavior in a cat I had years ago. She had surgery for this, and the behavior resolved.

If it is more than one cat and they are both having issues, I would bet it has something to do with the box itself, a slight change in the litter (maybe bought scented when you usually have unscented or something like that), placement of the box (some cats revolt if the box moves even a few inches - why they then choose to go in a whole different room, though is a mystery to me :blink: ). All of the rest of the above suggestions about the box, too! My current cats are great about using their boxes, but one time I managed to let the boxes get bad, and they peed all over my sofa :o .

I hope you can find out the issue, it is so frustrating!

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

Thanks for all the great advice. It could very well be stress. We're having a lot of work done in our house and have Turned our living room into a storage area for everything that was in our master bedroom.

I'm pretty sure it's only one of the cats, so I do think I'll have him checked by the vet.

Assuming it is stress, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the behavior stops when our house is back in order.

Mom to:

Littermates Ringo (Pak Sgt Pepper)at the bridge, Paul (Pak Penny Lane) and John (Pak Let it Be). The three reunited Beatle Brothers.

Thanks for all the great advice. It could very well be stress. We're having a lot of work done in our house and have Turned our living room into a storage area for everything that was in our master bedroom.

I'm pretty sure it's only one of the cats, so I do think I'll have him checked by the vet.

Assuming it is stress, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the behavior stops when our house is back in order.

It could indeed be stress from the changes in your house.

You'll want to get the possible UTI treated or ruled out ASAP because 1) They're painful and 2) you don't want the peeing to become a habit. Once they get into the habit of peeing outside the box--which doesn't take long--you'll continue to have problems even after the medical issue is resolved.

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg

Guest KsFrets

we have one ornery cat that has gone through several spells of peeing on a dog's bed, after being harassed by the dog. The episodes can be many months apart. It starts with an incident when the cat gets cornered and harassed by one of the greys... and then the cat (Spinner) will calmly slink into the bedroom, and pee on the offending dog's bed. We wash the bedding, and close the bedroom door for a few days until all is forgotten. And then all is well, often for many months, until....

Although I agree with the advice to have her checked for UTI's and such, I also very much agree with KsFrets. Cats have a well-honed sense of spite and vengeance. :lol (I'm a life-long cat person, not a hater.) Long ago my mom was living with a man who had an orange tabby. She started making him sleep in the garage instead of in the house because he was a sprayer. He told her what he thought of her plan by spraying on her car windshield, right in front of the driver seat. They know more than they let on, so really wouldn't discount the possibility that one of the dogs annoyed the cat, so the cat got revenge by peeing on the dog's bed.

Sharon, Loki, Freyja, Capri (bridge angel and most beloved heart dog), Ajax (bridge angel) and Sweetie Pie (cat)

Visit Hound-Safe.com by Something Special Pet Supplies for muzzles and other dog safety products

:gh_bow

Guest buttonwillow

One of my cats did this. I had her checked by a vet (she was fine). Then, I made sure to clean the litterboxes twice a day (will go down to once after a while), use Feliway, and whenever I wash the dog bed or get a new one, i let the cats take ownership of it first. I put it in the cat spot (picture window) so they can lie on it and get their cat smells all over it. Then after a few days I put it down for the dog. That seems to work.