Choo Choo's Tummy Troubles

Guest Cara_Lea

Guest Cara_Lea

Ok.. Choo has had tummy issues on and off since she arrived here. Mostly, they involve abdominal discomfort and some diarrhea. Our vet has been involved in the treatment of these issues from the start. We have had multiple food changes, as we have found most of her issues seem to come from her food. She has been doing extremely well on her current food for over a year now... until last week. She had 3 instances of clear abdominal discomfort. We took her to our vet who did blood work. Apparently, everything she tested was completely normal for greyhound numbers. We decided her discomfort could be coming from gas (she has had abdominal x-rays in the past and always seems to have a lot of gas), so we decided to treat non-aggressively, feeding her a bland diet of boiled ground beef, pasta and sweet potato. She has also been getting Gas-X. The incidents of pain have stopped, however she has been expelling more gas than normal and has had mushy poop. Yesterday evening, about 6 hours after eating, she regurgitated a small amount of undigested pasta. We spoke with our vet and gave her a pepcid and she seemed perfectly fine after the fact. She ate her evening meal (around 11:30.. yes.. my guys eat late) well and went out to the bathroom as normal for her nighttime trip. Around 6:05 this morning I woke up to her regurgitating more food. This time it was a bigger pile, though still not even the majority of her dinner. Also, I say "regurgitating" rather than "vomiting" as there is no real effort for her to bring the food up.. no heaving or anything.. she just pops her head down and a small gurgle later, the food is on the floor. She is in no obvious distress, and seems utterly healthy otherwise.

Our vet opens at 8am. I will be calling them and taking her in.. I just wanted to know if anyone had any thoughts of what might be going on.. or just send some good thoughts for my girl?

Guest Stripeyfan

Have you checked/treated for parasites? Kelly's problems started with similar symptoms and he was found to have a massive worm burden, which has left him with IBD. Also, if your girl has had fecals done and they've come back clear, this doesn't mean she doesn't have parasites, as some things, like hookworm, don't always show up.

I hope she feels better soon!

Wouldn't hurt to x-ray again -- from esophagus thru to the other end of the stomach. Hope you can get things figured out for pretty girl!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Sometimes food (in)tolerances change over time. You might have to do some more experimenting.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Oh, poor girl :( I don't know what might be going on - her symptoms seem very different from what Merlin has been experiencing over the last few weeks, so no real advice to give, but sending lots of good thoughts for Choo! :goodluck :goodluck

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest Cara_Lea

So we had Choo to the vet this morning. After I posted this AM, she obviously actually vomited (from her stomach) and brought up a little more undigested food. While the vet office is open on Saturday morning, they don't have a full staff.. so any diagnostics (like x-ray or ultrasound) aren't possible. Our vet gave her Cerenia, to stop her vomiting/regurgitating... she also has me feeding her 3 small, pureed meals a day. She is getting 20mg of pepcid twice a day, as well as gas-x twice a day. She also gave me this powder to add to her food once a day that is supposed to bring healthy bacteria back into her digestive system, in case it has been wiped out in some way. Choo has seemed mostly normal since we got home, maybe a bit lethargic.. but she is interested in food and still quite eager to go outside and sniff around and and all that. She had one large bowel movement earlier today.. bigger than she has had in a couple of days. It was partially solid, and partially pudding like.

Apparently the Cerenia works for about 24 hours.. so right now my big hope is that once is wears off, the regurgitating/vomiting doesn't start back up. From there we will have to see how it all goes. I am guessing that if things don't suddenly (miraculously) resolve themselves, we'll be moving forward with an x-ray or maybe ultrasound. Please keep sending good thoughts for my girl. I am trying not to borrow trouble and do all the "what ifs.." but it is my nature to be a worrier, so that is hard.

I'm always interested in "tummy trouble" threads. It is so frustrating, and I'm going through some of the same stuff with Tess. Not the diarrhea and gas, but the throwing up. It's been off and on, and since early Friday morning, it's been on. She threw up a lot, and we got fluids to give her at home, but then she seemed okay. Last out about midnight, threw up again.:( This is different from Lydia's recent trouble---the ham sandwich episode seems to be resolved.

Do you think the X-ray or ultrasound is the next step for Choo. I'll be sending lots of good thoughts out for you both.

I'm a worrier too. Let us know how your little girl is doing.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown