Cat Got A Haircut

My 16-year-old cat Max got a Lion Cut yesterday, and the dogs are acting like they've never seen him before! They're following him around, trying sniff him, and just generally harassing him. I've had to revert to "no kitty!" admonitions like when I first got the dogs. They're not being aggressive or trying to attack, just being pains in the butt.

What I don't understand is, whenever any of the cats went to the vet & came home, the dogs never paid any attention. But Max got a haircut and they're suddenly fascinated by him! I thought dogs went more by scent than sight? Or could it be that since he also had a bath, he doesn't smell like himself to the dogs?

I realize it's not too common for cats to get a haircut, but has anyone else ever dealt with this type situation? Poor Max is starting to get annoyed & has whacked a couple of snoots, but they're not taking the hint. Luckily I'm not going anywhere for the next few days or I'd muzzle them when I go out (though that would be more for my own peace of mind and wouldn't stop the sniffing!) or put the cat in a room by himself. But when are they going to come to terms with the fact that it's the same old cat?

Update 5/14: Everything's back to normal now! :colgate I should've figured everything would turn out OK, but I tend to worry about stupid things. :blush

Edited by tamborine

Maryann, Bama (TW Beltram), Stephanie (Tom's Stepinhi) & Henderson the Cardigan Welsh Corgi

I thought dogs went more by scent than sight?

They're called sight hounds for a reason! Sure, dogs have great noses, but Greyhounds also have great eyes.

They probably just find him hilarious right now, just as I would! Every time I see a cat with a haircut, it makes me chuckle!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

my Maine Coon got a lion cat last year in the spring because he was so matted (poor thing), and as soon as he came home, he was attacked by the other two cats in the house (we did not have the Greys at the time, so I can't tell you they reacted, and Kasie was 15 years old and frankly couldn't have cared less who came into the house, she was boss and that was that, whether she thought it was a new cat or old one!). We had been told to expect this by the groomer. She said the kitties come home from the groomer smelling very different, and he would be seen as a new cat and an intruder for several days until the smell wore off. It took about a week before the other two cats accepted him and stopped hissing and spitting at him. Don't worry, things should settle down soon...

Rio aka El Rio (Dec. 4/07) - Home May 16, 2010
Tiana aka CTW Tyra Time (June 7/07 to December 9, 2016) - home July 1, 2010, we miss you terribly, Sweet Girl :weep

Willy aka Starz Predator (Oct. 15/06) - home Aug. 29, 2010
and littermates Merlin aka CTW Excalibur & Mirage aka CTW Mirage (Jan. 1/08) - home Dec. 5, 2010
& June 3, 2012
missing Beagle-Chihuahua, Kasie Lynn (March 15/95-Sept. 13/10)

Here's Max and his new 'do. He developed several pretty bad mats, due to a combination of me not being diligent enough with the furminator, and him getting too old to effectively groom himself anymore. You can see in the pics where the mats were - they had to shave all the way down to the skin. My poor old man! I'll never let him get like that again. And these dogs are just adding insult to injury with all their sniffing!

013.jpg

001-2-1.jpg

my Maine Coon got a lion cat last year in the spring because he was so matted (poor thing), and as soon as he came home, he was attacked by the other two cats in the house (we did not have the Greys at the time, so I can't tell you they reacted, and Kasie was 15 years old and frankly couldn't have cared less who came into the house, she was boss and that was that, whether she thought it was a new cat or old one!). We had been told to expect this by the groomer. She said the kitties come home from the groomer smelling very different, and he would be seen as a new cat and an intruder for several days until the smell wore off. It took about a week before the other two cats accepted him and stopped hissing and spitting at him. Don't worry, things should settle down soon...

Thanks for the ray of hope! Only one of my other cats seems a little p.o.'d; the other cats are all business as usual. Can't wait for things to settle down around here!

Maryann, Bama (TW Beltram), Stephanie (Tom's Stepinhi) & Henderson the Cardigan Welsh Corgi

Guest Lovey_Hounds

I have to shave our 3 legged cat because he has issues cleaning himself he gets treated funny by all of the other pets in the house for the first few days after, it's normal even some dogs treat other house mate dogs like this after hair cuts. If you get your cat groomed again don't get him washed just a shave and a quick wipe down with a damp towel your other pets will respond much better after and it's way less stress for your cat.

Oh and I wouldn't suggest using a furmunator as a proper brushing tool the reason why it seems to work so well is it's not actually brushing but stripping the hair out it's a blade not a brush try using a good old fashioned slicker brush and a comb they gets all the knots and doesn't harm the coat.

Guest FullMetalFrank

That is one PO'd kitteh! Our groomer does a lot of lion cuts at my work; it's actually more common that you'd think for people to shave down their long-haired cats, especially in the summer months and if a cat has been ill and not keeping itself tidy. We have a few kitty clients who actually love getting bathed, too. I would guess that your houndies are just reacting to kitty's new look and smell. They will get used to it!

I'm glad the general consensus is that they'll get used to him & cut out their shenanigans! It may be starting to taper off - now they only go to sniff him if he's on the move. At first, all three of them constantly had their snoots shoved into him like 3 vacuums, even if he was just sitting there.

He's not as pissed as he seems - the camera adds a level of p.o.'d-ness that's not present in real life!

Guest BrianRke

He probably has other cat smells on him from the grooming and that, coupled with the haircut, your dogs are trying to figure out if its the same cat. BTW, I like the haircut

Guest AmazinGreyz

I also have a Maine Coon. She'll be getting her spring haircut on the 29th. She is quite vain....when she comes home she perches on a chair or on the stairs so everyone, the other cats as well as the houndies, can admire her. Lion cut for sure; the little scarf or bow the groomer sends her home with is easier to show off!

The coolest thing is how much she loves to be petted afterwards. I think the scritches can be felt better without the heavy coat in the way.

Ivan and Jude look and snuffle a bit; most times they're gentlemen. If not, Squeakers administers the necessary discipline-thwaps so order is restored. She reminds them of their admiring duties and peace is restored.

I like it because it surely cuts down the shedding.

I'll post some pix after her session with the groomer if you'd like

Guest krystolla

I threaten Ripley, my furriest Maine Coon, with a lion cut whenever she's fussing about being brushed. She's very patient about it but keeps up a running commentary. :rolleyes: I'm lucky that my coons mostly have the low-maintenance coat they had historically.

I used to live next door to a pair of persian cats who were in lion cuts all the time -- even had their tails shaved down to a puff on the tip. Honestly, I think they looked cuter in the lion cut then they did in full coats. :ph34r I noticed that they even moved different after a fresh 'do, but both were shaved at the same time so I never heard about any scuffles.

It makes sense though, the kitty looks different, moves different, smells sort of different but familiar . . . maybe we'd better sniff him all over to be sure.

I am so glad to hear that matted coats on Maine Coons are common in spring...this is our first, he is a stray that came into our house off the street and last spring was our first with Sammy. We tried to diligent with combing, but it seems the knots multiplied overnight as we slept! and, yes, right down to his skin! This year, it is the same thing, and it seems we are looking at another lion cut if I can't get all these mats out...not going to be fun with two kitties and 4 houndies to greet him at the door when he comes home this time!

Lovey Hounds, Thanks for the tip about not getting him shampooed! I think that will help...and, yes, if I get him done, I will post pics...

Tiana aka CTW Tyra Time (June 7/07 to December 9, 2016) - home July 1, 2010, we miss you terribly, Sweet Girl :weep

and littermates Merlin aka CTW Excalibur & Mirage aka CTW Mirage (Jan. 1/08) - home Dec. 5, 2010
& June 3, 2012

Guest ThunderPaws

My dogs react the same way to my afghan hound when she gets a puppy cut. The dogs watch me shave her for a couple hours and STILL act like that once she gets off the grooming table. After a good sniff-over under my very close supervision all is good until her next haircut.

but it seems the knots multiplied overnight as we slept! and, yes, right down to his skin!

Isn't it something how fast those mats form?! Since the groomer gushed about how good Max was, and how he loved the whole procedure (I somehow find it hard to believe :lol ) I'm considering getting him done every spring from now on. But I think I'll take Lovey Hound's advice and not have him bathed next time. Too much commotion ensues!

Guest zombrie

For the cat, I wouldn't use the furminator. I tried it on my golden because everyone raved about it. Problem is, it only brushes the top layer, it wasn't brushing out the undercoat where the mats form.

Guest Lovey_Hounds

For the cat, I wouldn't use the furminator. I tried it on my golden because everyone raved about it. Problem is, it only brushes the top layer, it wasn't brushing out the undercoat where the mats form.

Exactly! im a groomer and dont use the furninator at all i use a good old fashioned slicker brush and a comb they work wonderfully! the reason people think the furminator is great is because it looks like its working well but its actually stripping and cutting fur away as you pull it through its not getting the layers underneath.

• 2 weeks later...

As promised, here are a couple of pics of Sammy after he got his Lion Cut for the season. Fortunately, we had managed to keep up with brushing/combing him enough this year, and the mats were not right down to his skin, so he did not have awful bald patches like he did last year! Sammy loves his new hairdo...he truly seems to feel more comfortable, and spends lots of time rubbing up against us and cuddling now, although we wonder if that is because he is grateful we didn't abandon him! :rolleyes: Still, Coons are supposed to be really loving...

The hounds weren't too bad when he got home...Willy had his nose up Sam Sam's butt for several hours sniffing him every chance he got, and got boxed in the face for his trouble (sans claws, thank goodness!). Our little black cat, Annie, was the one who really was not impressed. Like last year, she spent several days hissing, spitting and swatting at Sammy whenever he got close to her. I love her expression in the second picture... he he...

a13a37f3.jpg

61f3d409.jpg

& June 3, 2012

Guest mollieandme

013.jpg

There's a LOLcats joke in here somewhere. Something like "I don't care what they say, the bow isn't working."