Broken Toe Or Tumor?

Guest mattbta

Guest mattbta

Friday, our girl grey started limping noticeably in the evening. By Saturday morning, she would not put any weight on it. I know that they did their usually zoomies Friday afternoon and did not hear any scream of death during that time. However, in examining the foot if we applied pressure to the toe she would scream. Today (Sunday) it is obviously swollen. Do you think she broke it or developed a tumor? Here are a couple of pics (not great quality though.)

IMG_1431.jpg

IMG_1428.jpg

Other side for comparison:

IMG_1430.jpg

I gave her a left over anti-inflammatory and a pain pill.

Any thoughts?

I can't see the pictures, they are not completely loading on my screen. But swollen toes are fairly common in this house. Sometimes they go back down, and sometimes they remain swollen. I've never had a dog refuse to put weight on the foot, though. While cancer is always a possibility even in a toe, it's more likely to something less serious. The vet should be able to get a good x-ray of it. Hugs to your girl.

Edited by EllenEveBaz

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Guest mattbta

I resized the pictures. Hopefully it isn't something serious...she's done this before, but we knew exactly what happened as we heard her scream when it occurred.

Guest Swifthounds

Unless you can hear the distinctive clicking you can sometimes hear with a break, you probably can't tell what it is without an xray. It could be a break, a soft tissue injury, or something else.

Here's a broken toe, for comparison, if that helps. Foot on the left - broken, on the right - normal.

CIMG3019.jpg

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

Guest snakes

xray probably is the only way to tell but here with toe injuries i generally suspect either dislocated toes or arthritic changes which can be brought on suddenly by a trauma such as taking a corner to quickly (not always with the GSOD). We have two traumatized arthritic toes here and when they are aggravated it usually tkaes about two weeks to get back to normal, non-limping walking/running.

Jill was very good at getting sore toes with swelling like that. Either dislocated which reduced itself prior to me getting to her or just soft tissue. Occasionally she needed an NSAID and no running for six weeks. She seemed to get over that in later years. I would bet it is an injured toe on your girl. Oh Jilly definitely limped with hers.

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

Guest tinams8

Tumors tend to be on the larger bones or up at the shoulder. My dog's toe looks just like that, happened after lots of running, and she's going for an xray on Tuesday. The vet looked at it and said possibly an arthritis type inflammation from a previous injury.

Buck had a broken toe on one front paw and a mast cell tumor on the other. That looks way more like a dislocated or broken toe than a tumor. That is exactly what his broken one looked like. He had a matching healed one on the back when I got him -- as well as an amputated toe on the other back that looked like that but missing the bottom digit. :dunno

Take her in for x-rays and that will probably tell you.

FWIW, one of my former vets, whom I respect greatly, refused to splint Buck's broken toe as he said splints cause more trouble than they are worth. He just was on rest for about 3 or 4 weeks as best I can remember -- that was several years ago -- and came out fine.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest Swifthounds

FWIW, one of my former vets, whom I respect greatly, refused to splint Buck's broken toe as he said splints cause more trouble than they are worth. He just was on rest for about 3 or 4 weeks as best I can remember -- that was several years ago -- and came out fine.

Splints are about the worst "fixes" for broken toes in a greyhound. Usually, they cause way more harm than good. Around here broken toes get padded with cotton sheeting, gauze wrapped for comfort with a bit of vet wrap. Trojan's recent broken toe healed well this way and he used all four paws the whole time he was healing (especially important in an old hound with a weak hind end) and being leash walked.

Guest Smiley

Definitely worth a visit to the vet. Not to scare you, but just to offer up another possibility for the swelling . . .Smiley developed a swollen toe overnight and began biting/licking it incessantly. Our vet worried that it was a tumor and gave us 48 hours for it to go down on antibiotics. When it didn't, he removed the toe to be safe. The biopsy revealed a very severe infection. It was a scary ordeal, but turned out okay. I would err on the side of caution and get an exam just to be sure. Keep us posted and hugs to your girl!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest mattbta

Sorry about the late reply. The swelling did not go down so we took her in. The vet sedated her to get a better look and got curious so she did some x-rays. There is a small hairline fracture near the claw. Not much we can do about it other than the rimadyl for swelling. It sure is hard to keep her from doing zoomies especially with the 70* weather we've had lately.

Thanks everyone.

Glad you got it checked. The good thing is a hairline fracture is likely to heal well & completely in just a few weeks. Dislocations & torn ligaments take longer with uncertain futures.

Leash restrictions for sure, even for potty walks. The girl is on house arrest. Heal quickly & milk this for lots of extra treats like frozen kongs stuffed with the best of the best. :)