Best Garlic Source?

Guest brit1

Guest brit1

One of my dogs cannot stand raw garlic, won't go near the food if the tiniest bit is in it. I know Kyolic garlic is supposed to be the most potent for people, anyone use it for their dogs (I guess empty a capsule into food)? I can buy bulk garlic granules at local health food store but not sure how potent it would be. I like to use garlic a few times a week during flea and tick season and for general health (I feed homemade usually raw sometimes cooked).Thanks for input Brit

Guest PawPrintsLife

I strongly recommend this product. It's all natural, made of garlic and vinegar. It's an excellent flea/tick (and other insect) repellant. You can add it either to food or to water. And it has many other beneficial properties besides insect repelling. Here's a link to the site where you can find a lot more info. The product is Flea Free Food Supplement: so if you have any questions, I'll be glad to help. My number is 937-436-5788.

Rebecca Forrest

Logan (7-yr-old brindle boy)

Zelda (4-yr-old parti black princess)

Jordie (3-yr-old brindle boy goofball)

Izzy (4-yr-old lab/beagle "time-share girl)

Lucy (17-yr-old tabby cat--the dogs think she's a dog, too)<br><br><br>

Edited by GreyTzu
Link removed

Best source: None!

Tiny amounts of garlic are sometimes added to foods and treats as flavoring, but garlic isn't good for dogs, and large amounts can cause health problems. It also does nothing for fleas and ticks.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I guess I don't completely understand - I haven't read anything that says garlic is good for dogs. In fact, it can be quite harmful. A little bit to a big dog won't hurt - but I see no reason to intentionally give a dog garlic. Garlic to a small dog - can be quite toxic - and if a big dog is given it regularly - it can be toxic also.

Not trying to be mean - but I've read absolutely nothing that indicates that it helps with fleas or ticks, and it's NOT good for a dog's general health.

Please re-check your sources... it might not be a good idea.

Guest Swifthounds

It's not so much that garlic is toxic to dogs, but that in certain dosages, it can cause harm. If you feed several cloves or a medium onion, yes, you can cause a temporary induced anemia in a greyhound-sized dog. If you keep feeding that way, yes, it can be very toxic, but it doesn't sound like the OP was talking about feeding cloves and cloves of garlic.

Guest d0ggiem0mma

OP- Please talk to your vet about this before putting your dog on a garlic supplement. High doses of garlic can cause severe anemia and organ damage. I would imagine a human supplement would contain very concentrated garlic and would be dangerous.

ASPCA Poison Control Website----> Garlic

"Dogs, and especially cats, are sensitive to garlic. Unfortunately, we do not know specifically what dosage causes problems, and it is not yet completely known what breeds and age groups are most sensitive to this toxicity. What we do know is that gastrointestinal problems and red blood cell damage can occur as a result of feeding garlic to pets. An occasional small amount, such as that in most commercial pet foods and treats, may not cause a problem, but because of the risk, we generally recommend that you avoid feeding your pets products that contain more concentrated amounts of garlic."

(Quote taken from Here)

Edited by d0ggiem0mma

I've read a lot on this topic and many holistic veterinarians do actually have a favorable view of garlic used in moderation for dogs. Onions can cause a fatal form of hemolytic anemia in dogs due to it's very high concentration of thiosulfate which causes red blood cells to rupture. Onions and garlic are related and garlic also contains thiosulfate though in much smaller amounts. This article My link is representative of what I've read touting the health benefits of garlic for dogs. Here's another one: My link.

Springtime Inc. that sells the popular supplement Fresh Factors also sells a product called Bug Off Garlic for both dogs and horses. They've been selling this product for years as an alternative to chemical flea,tick, and fly products.

Please note I'm not posting this as a recommendation, but merely pointing out that there is information out there saying (unlike onions), garlic is safe and beneficial for dogs used in moderation.

Edited by galgrey

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Best source: None!

Tiny amounts of garlic are sometimes added to foods and treats as flavoring, but garlic isn't good for dogs, and large amounts can cause health problems. It also does nothing for fleas and ticks.

Batmom beats me too it again!

They've proven rather conclusively that garlic does nothing for fleas and ticks.

Just because a company SELLS a product, and people buy it, doesn't mean it works.

Edited by GeorgeofNE

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest Swifthounds

Ah, "they." I do love that, especially when you read the study and see how many damaging elements in these dogs' lives aren't accounted for. Different combinations of variables yield different results.

Guest BrianRke

garlic is a member of the onion family, high in sulfur, and given in long term can cause anemic reaction and severe bleeding in dogs.

Perhaps most revealing is the study published in the American Journal of Veterinary Research in November 2000. Four dogs were given measured amounts of garlic and four dogs received none. After only seven days, blood tests on the dogs taking garlic revealed decreased levels in hemoglobin, hematocrit, and red blood cell values. Heinz body formation, an increase in erythrocyte-reduced glutathione concentration, and eccentrocytes were also detected, although none of the dogs developed hemolytic anemia.

Veterinarians conducting the study concluded that garlic has the potential to cause hemolytic anemia and that food containing garlic should not be given to dogs.

Guest Swifthounds

I think everyone's familiar with that 4 (8) dog "study" showing a small # of red blood cell oxidative damage when dog's were fed huge amounts of garlic - along the lines of 1/2# of garlic per hundred pounds of body weight. Add it to the long list of items safe in normal doses and with a wide margin of safety.

Guest Desonia

Like any vaccine, vermifuge, drugs in high dose are damageable or even fatal. The key to safe use of garlic on dogs is the dosage level and frequency of use ( I copy/paste that from Natural Dog Health Remedies's website) it must be used with knowledge and precautions.

• 1 month later...
Guest QueenDalpal

Hi Brit. I'm back on Greytalk after years (big change in the forum culture about five years ago). Each of our greys has used Bug Off Garlic chewables from Springtime, Inc since we brought them home--Abbott, my recently passed heart dog for 7 years (he was 11.5), Queenie, my beautiful baby girl (now 10.5 years), for 6 years, and Dallas, our new beautiful boy, for 2 months (age 4.5). They've been flea and tick free, as well as heartworm free, for all that time. I did a great deal of research before adopting them and before buying the products. The process of baking and dehydrating the garlic takes its most damaging properties away, and I've had great success with the product. You have to be VERY careful with garlic, and raw, it CAN be toxic, but this product has worked for us and for many of our friends who have greys. The vet is always very happy that we are able to keep them from the chemicals in treating for fleas, ticks, and heartworms, and fyi . . .they also take Springtime's Joint Health Formula, Fresh Factors (with probiotics), and Spirulina (whole food and helps my grass!). The vet says he's never seen more beautiful, glossy, and sprightly elderly greys than ours--so much in fact that it was difficult to tell that Abbott was ill before he passed away. Dallas is coming along quite nicely as well! Just wanted to give you some support; hope you make a decision that is good for you and your grey.

http://www.springtimeinc.com

Cooking doesn't eliminate the damaging compounds in garlic and onion. Many of these compounds are oxidants, which damage cell membranes.

Given that there is no established benefit to feeding these items, I don't understand why anyone would feed them on purpose.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest KennelMom

I agree with Batmom.

Plus, I would NEVER EVER rely on garlic, a garlic supplement or any word-of-mouth "old wives tales" products to protect against heartworm. You either live in a low-incidence area or you've been extremely lucky. Maybe I misunderstood your post in relation to HW prevention. :unsure

Edited by KennelMom

Guest BrianRke

Cooking doesn't eliminate the damaging compounds in garlic and onion. Many of these compounds are oxidants, which damage cell membranes.

Given that there is no established benefit to feeding these items, I don't understand why anyone would feed them on purpose.

EXACTLY!! Its hard for me to comprehend why anyone would want to risk giving their dog garlic especially knowing what we do about the harm it can cause and that there are no apparent benefits.

Guest BiancasMom

I've also heard garlic can cause anemia. Even if your dog is asymptomatic, why wait until you see symptoms to stop using something that is potentially hazardous? If your dog is showing symptoms of anemia he/she is pretty seriously anemic. It's not worth it to try garlic. I have heard good things about certain flea sprays on here. Maybe another alternative?

Guest TexasGreytMom

OP- Please talk to your vet about this before putting your dog on a garlic supplement. High doses of garlic can cause severe anemia and organ damage. I would imagine a human supplement would contain very concentrated garlic and would be dangerous.

ASPCA Poison Control Website----> Garlic

"Dogs, and especially cats, are sensitive to garlic. Unfortunately, we do not know specifically what dosage causes problems, and it is not yet completely known what breeds and age groups are most sensitive to this toxicity. What we do know is that gastrointestinal problems and red blood cell damage can occur as a result of feeding garlic to pets. An occasional small amount, such as that in most commercial pet foods and treats, may not cause a problem, but because of the risk, we generally recommend that you avoid feeding your pets products that contain more concentrated amounts of garlic."

(Quote taken from Here)

I agree. My vet warned of this as well when I told her we were supplementing. Anything in moderation is fine, but be very careful. JMHO.