Constant Lip Licking Is Making Me Nuts !

Got your e-mail and I sent you one. Update of my dog from the Valium incident yesterday: He is completely back to normal. We just got back from a walk and both dogs were just fine. Yesterday the dog on the 20mg of Valium would not walk on a leash, only pulled really hard like he was pulling a wagon..also a bug going by his head almost gave him a heart attack. All of his senses were raw..the Prozac did the same thing to him and it sounds like it is doing that to your dog, too. Like I said, maybe a 1/2 Valium (5mg)for my dog next time and see what happens.

Thank you to all who have replied. After a long discussion with my husband last night, we have decided to take her off the Prozac and reassess as some suggested. Her issue originally was the S.A. and now we have all kinds of things going on. She now has new phobias and the lip smacking. I am going to wean her off slowly and then see what kind of dog I have. I still wonder about the hypothyroidism and will be talking to my vet tomorrow.

I think the vet thought the Prozac might be helping because when I started to wean her off, she became fearful of a bunch of new things. It is like her mind is on overdrive. I know when I am feeling a bit "crazy", I can dream up all sorts of things and blow them out of proportion. I wonder if that is what is happening to her ?

Edited by Busderpuddle

Karen

No further advice than what you've already gotten. Just want you to know I'm thinking of you & hoping this gets sorted out PDQ.

It's got to be nerve-wracking for all involved. Horrible for her, and horrible for you having to watch.

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

Wow, sounds tough.

She likely is on overdrive actually. Have you tried anything like TTouch to help her(and you) find some calming time in the day? You can also try using some clicker training to reward when she is calm. Start with doing eye contact exercises and build from there. These types of things will likely help you and her relax a little so that maybe take a little tension out of your relationship.

I know you said certified vet behavioralist is out of the bduget...have you consider getting any second opinions from other vets in your area? Sounds like this vet might not be a good fit for you?

Have you identified what she likes to do? Does she like to get out and run and can you help her do that more? Or? Anything she does like that you can reinforce that and try to keep the scary stuff less part of her day. (I have a high anxiety dog myself so understand this can be easier said then done...we do find keeping the stimulus level down and keeping him exercised helps a great deal for us to work on decreasing his overall anxiety levels).

I have not tried clicker training and I just watched a show on the TTouch which was amazing. I do brush her each day which she loves. Her teeth chatter away the whole time. We also play outside when we can. She goes for at least 2 long walks each day (sometimes one of them is a quicker bike ride) but she doesn't really like to go. She gets real excited and then about 1/4 of a block away, she is ready to turn back.

She is on her 3rd vet since we got her last July. The 1st one was a dud. The 2nd one wanted to put her down due to the anxiety and the one we have now had his medical training with a lot of greys and is willing to listen, read and do research. He has made several calls to other vets and also to labs to help find answers for her. He even gets on here and reads the info, so I feel pretty confident with him.

She likes to roach and does it about half of every day. She is very happy when I am sitting beside her or where she can see me. It is the times when I have to be gone or she thinks I am leaving that the anxieties really go crazy. The phobias started a couple weeks ago and when I think back, she is much worse now than when I started to find her help. I will be anxious to see who she is when the Prozac is gone and I still wonder about the thyroid meds. Going to call tomorrow to ask if I can try it. I want to wait until the Prozac is out of her system first though.

Thanks !!!

Karen

I think the vet thought the Prozac might be helping because when I started to wean her off, she became fearful of a bunch of new things. It is like her mind is on overdrive. I know when I am feeling a bit "crazy", I can dream up all sorts of things and blow them out of proportion. I wonder if that is what is happening to her ?

When I was put on Prozac for mild depression and anxiety, my mind went completely on overdrive, especially while I was sleeping. I had terrifying, violent dreams. Very vivid dreams that I still remember every detail of, 3 years later. I dreamed about murdering people - it was horrific. I cringe every time anyone takes Prozac. I know it has helped some people (and dogs), but IMO there are much better drugs out there that don't have such severe side effects.

So, it is very possible that Ruby is in complete overdrive. I think it's a great idea to get her off of the Prozac and start from scratch :nod

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--