Manny Necropsy Results - For Lindsaysf

Guest zombrie

Guest zombrie

I could not PM Lindsay, I am hoping she sees this.

We finally got the results from Manny's necropsy. Unfortunately, it will be no help for your Sophie. For those who don't know, Manny was a former foster of mine who suffered from horrible cluster seizures. In March he had seizures for three straight days, aspirated and developed pneumonia, ending his life.

This is what Manny's mom sent to us:

"Manny’s necropsy results are back. Unfortunately they did not find anything specific. She explained the wide range of severity often seen in epilepsy patients and felt that Manny fell in the more difficult to control category. And felt that the period of time that he was seizure free is primarily attributed to what she called a “honeymoon period’ – a period of time where a newly introduced medication works well, but only for a short time. Then the med becomes ineffective. She says that is typical of Keppra. So, essentially, we had reached a point where the meds he was on were not going to work anymore."

Not having a "cause" for his suffering is so upsetting. At least he had 5 months to be a normal dog.

Edited by zombrie

Guest d0ggiem0mma

I'm sorry the results came back non-specific. That is difficult. When my Brodie suddenly got very sick and had to be euthanized, we had a necropsy done but no one told us it may come back with no answers. It was difficult for me to understand how they couldn't tell me anything when he was SOOOOO sick.

Just because the necropsy couldn't pin point a specific cause, doesn't mean there wasn't one. There is still so much we don't understand when it comes to how the brain works.

I'm so sorry there wasn't a definitive answer to what was wrong with Manny. :( Hugs to you and to Manny's adoptive family.

Paula & her pups--Paneer (WW Outlook Ladd), Kira & Rhett (the whippets)
Forever in my heart...Tinsel (Born's Bounder - 11/9/90-12/18/01), Piper, Chevy, Keno, Zuma, Little One, Phaelin & Winnie
Greyhound Adoption Center ~ So Cal rep for Whippet Rescue And Placement

For beautiful beaded collars, check out my Facebook page: The Swanky Hound

I could not PM Lindsay, I am hoping she sees this.

We finally got the results from Manny's necropsy. Unfortunately, it will be no help for your Sophie. For those who don't know, Manny was a former foster of mine who suffered from horrible cluster seizures. In March he had seizures for three straight days, aspirated and developed pneumonia, ending his life.

This is what Manny's mom sent to us:

"Manny’s necropsy results are back. Unfortunately they did not find anything specific. She explained the wide range of severity often seen in epilepsy patients and felt that Manny fell in the more difficult to control category. And felt that the period of time that he was seizure free is primarily attributed to what she called a “honeymoon period’ – a period of time where a newly introduced medication works well, but only for a short time. Then the med becomes ineffective. She says that is typical of Keppra. So, essentially, we had reached a point where the meds he was on were not going to work anymore."

Not having a "cause" for his suffering is so upsetting. At least he had 5 months to be a normal dog.

I followed Manny's progress, especially in light of Rainey's issues. :( I'm so sorry there are no clear answers. I thought about doing a necropsy with Rainey but knew it would probably only cause more pain than give answers. Sometimes we just can't heal our babies and it's beyond heartbreaking. :brokenheart there's not an hour that goes by that I don't wish I could have made her better. :cry1

sometimes I just think God needs them in Heaven more than we do.

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

This is so sad, but at least he did enjoy his time w/you and his best buddy Ceasar!

med_gallery_14228_2915_582.jpg
Roberta & Michael with Furkids- Flower (Shasta Flowers 6/7/06) & Rascal the kitty - Missing our sweet angels - Max(M's Mad Max) 10/12/02 - 12/3/15, Sara (Sara Raves 6/30/01 - 4/13/12) Queenie & Pandora the kitties - gone but never forgotten

• 2 weeks later...
Guest LindsaySF

Sorry I'm just now seeing this. I think my PM box is full. Thank you for posting the results. I'm sorry they didn't provide any real closure, for his owners, for you, or for other seizure owners. :(