Is Plain Cream Cheese Ok For Greys?

Guest avadogner

Guest avadogner

Hi GT friends,

I stuff Kongs with a mix of kibble and mini dog treats and seal them with a dab of peanut butter. Ava loves PB but Augie isn't as much of fan. I was thinking cream cheese or Laughing cow soft swiss cheese might make a good plug to keep him busy longer. He loves cheese (we give meds wrapped in a half slice of cheese). I just want to check and see if anyone has used it and if it's Ok.

Thanks!

Guest Houndstown

Ours have never had a problem with it . . . and thanks for the idea. We use peanut butter in our kongs too, but cream cheese would be a nice switch up!

Edited by Houndstown

It's fine.

The cheap stuff too. They don't know the difference. :lol :lol :lol

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Yup, we've used cream cheese too. Another favourite around here is liverwurst (the stuff that comes in the tube and you can find in the deli section).

What actually lasts a lot longer is skipping the kibble, etc., and just smearing peanut butter all around the insides of the Kong.

Takes a couple of seconds to "unplug" a Kong and dump the contents. Takes a good 15 minutes or so to lick out the peanut butter if applied correctly!

I prepare mine the night before and put it in the fridge (peanut butter, when frozen, is MUCH easier to get out than when it's still creamy). Once in a while I toss a small biscuit down inside, and it sticks to the peanut butter and provides a nice surprise.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Cream cheese is fine. I use it for hiding pills!

So do I! Works great, dogs love it.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Guest avadogner

Thanks everyone! i thought it would be OK but just wanted to check. Ava loves peanut butter and Augie is reluctant to eat Kongs stuffed with PB since she is alpha. They get along fine but Ava is a bit grouchy in her old age and poor health. Sweet Augie just defers everything to her and since the PB is Ava's favorite he doesn't go for it like he initially did. I thought about stuffing his Kong with chopped up meat and cream cheese mix. He had it for the first time today and was so very happy. Ava didn't like it so much so it works out perfect. I'm trying to build some confidence in my boy so having something good she isn't interested in taking from him helps.

Thanks again,

ava and augie's mum

A little cream cheese is fine! I agree with others - buy the cheap brand - and the low-fat or non-fat if they have it.

I'd also suggest FREEZING the Kongs. Just stuff them at night and toss them in the freezer - the dogs love them just as much - and it takes a LOT longer to get all the yummieness out. A big boredom-buster!

Have you tried plain yogurt yet? Your non- PB dog might LOVE plain yogurt in the Kong - DEFINATELY frozen, cuz it's gooey!

Edited by sobesmom