How To Give Pills

If he doesn't want to swallow, squirt some water in his mouth which will make him want to swallow...I did that until Pop figured out it was just easier to swallow the pills then to have me putting water in his mouth.

greytalk signature 2020.jpg

Marble, Noah, Eden, Raya (red heeler), Cooper & Trooper (naughty kittens)

Missing my bridge angels: Pop, Zelda, Mousey & Carmel

Guest zaylea

My Batou has IBD, and I put his pills in Allergy formula pill pockets. They're made with duck and peas, and they don't seem to bother him. Obviously, it's going to vary by dog. If you're going to just stick them down his throat, you need to make sure he eats or gets a treat to stimulate saliva production. From the greenies pill pockets FAQ:

"Studies show that in 52% of the cases, pills can become clinically entrapped, meaning that after one hour, the pill is still in the esophagus. Since our pets don’t drink water to get the pill down, it is helpful to stimulate saliva flow as the pill is being given. "

Just wanted to make a point to everyone that direct pill your hounds. Make sure that you give your dog a treat or syringe water into them after pilling. There has been dogs that have ulcerated their esophagus because the medication was left in the throat.

Guest greytkidsmom

I have had luck with sweet potato. Cut it into cubes and bake it in the oven for 25 minutes at 350. Let the cubes cool. Poke a little hole in each cooked cube with a knife and stuff the pill in. Bet it would work with plain potato as well. I keep a bag of cooked cubes in the fridge.