Which Pain Med Is Better?

Guest Spencers_Greyt

Guest Spencers_Greyt

I have posted earlier that Spencer has lymphoma and I have both Rimadyl and Tramadol at home and wondered which would make him more comfortable?

Guest BiancasMom

They work in different ways. You can use them both at the same time for a combo effect. Each dog is different so it may take some experimenting to find the "cocktail" that works for him. So sorry to hear about Spencer's lymphoma. I will be thinking of him.

I don't know much about lymphoma specifically, but Tramadol does have less risk of serious/long term side effects so if it were me, I would start there and see if it was sufficient. Having said that, for Neyla, the Deramaxx was more effective than the Tramadol so you may find you need a combination.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Does anyone know the dosage size for Tramadol? I have it but it was prescribed to me not Spencer.

Donna, you're safe with Tramadol. They're 50mg and you can give them to him as often as every 6 hours

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Starting dose for our grey Alex (78#) was one 50mg tablet every 12 hours, with a max dose of 2.75 tablets every 6 hours. He is taking that in combo with Rimadyl, one every 12 hours.

Sara formerly on Greytalk as Mommyof3
Gone, but still part of our family and always in our hearts:
Bruiser Isa Comander To 6/23/91-11/20/03 Sandy NSK Special Up 10/19/89-6/13/04 Beau Bdk's Boo Boo 1/1/93-12/15/06 Cooney Lars Dbltakedean 11/1/93-1/23/07
Buddy 2/9/1997-11/16/09 Joe Elkhart Joe 11/7/99-12/2/10 Alex Streakin Diablo 4/17/02-4/1/11 Brother Hylife Brother 9/26/97-2/28/12

Comanche Gil's Comanche 6/7/2005-11/7/2015 Molly 4/8/2011-4/13/2018

Guest KennelMom

tramadol and rimadyl are different kinds of pain killers and can be used in conjunction with each other. If using one or the other, it would depend on what kind of pain you're treating.

Does anyone know the dosage size for Tramadol? I have it but it was prescribed to me not Spencer.

Contact your vet and ask. Pain management for cancer is often a different protocol than treating acute pain....meaning, you usually need to use more than you would give a non-terminal patient or less severe condition.

Guest Spencers_Greyt

Donna, you're safe with Tramadol. They're 50mg and you can give them to him as often as every 6 hours

Thank you Claudia!

Thank you Claudia!

And please give him the biggest hug from us!

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

just keep in mind, do not mix Prednisone with Rimadyl!

i always start with Tramadol in case we have to add the pred. for any reason.

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

Guest Spencers_Greyt

just keep in mind, do not mix Prednisone with Rimadyl!

i always start with Tramadol in case we have to add the pred. for any reason.

Thank you. I opted out of Prednisone for Spencer as he is miserable when he's on it.

Donna - I got Tramadol at Walmart when my angel boy Zip needed it. The pharmacist told be that it is also given to human cancer patients.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g240/mtbucket/siggies/Everyday-2.jpgJane - forever servant to the whims and wishes of Maggie (L's Magnolia of JCKC) and Sam the mutt pup.[/b]

She's classy, sassy and a bit smart assy.

My vets have both advised I can use 300 mg daily for my dog(67#). Right now I'm doing 100 mg every 8 hours (he also is given 2.4 cc's of meloxicam once a day).

Give your vet a call and let them know you have it, they'll advise you where to start the dosage and how to dose in accordance with any other meds you're giving him. I get ours at CVS very inexpensively.