Aggressive Knitting

Guest Tes623

Guest Tes623

Our new foster, Luigi, is a very affectionate little boy. :wub: He'll get really excited with DH and I and will knit us really hard and will keep doing it until he calms down. I hate to correct it because I know it's just a sign of affection but I want to try to stop him from doing it so much. Does anyone have any tips?

You need to correct him before he hurts someone who doesn't know it's affection. Personally, I would give a quick, sharp "uh uh" and cross my arms over my chest, raise your chin (so you aren't looking anywhere near him) and turn your back on him. When he calms down, resume what you were doing before. This way, he will see that when he knits the fun completely stops and when he stops the fun starts again. So hopefully he'll try to control it before he starts so the fun continues.

I've gotten a few bruises from my aggressive nitter. When she starts to get aggressive about it I say "ow" and pull away my hand or whatever she's biting. She's pretty sensitive so just the ow gets her out of the zone. I'll also do the turn around and ignore thing if she gets too jumpy and in my face with her welcome. These are very simple but seem to work really well.

Colleen with Covey (Admirals Cove) and Rally (greyhound puppy)
Missing my beloved boy INU (CJ Whistlindixie) my sweetest princess SALEM (CJ Little Dixie) and my baby girl ZOE (LR's Tara)

Guest Swifthounds

I agree you need to nip this behavior now. The more it continues, the more ingrained it becomes. It doesn't matter if it's motivated by excitement/affection. Maybe you don't mind the pain, but someone else likely will and that will lead to problems he doesn't need. There are plenty of ways to show affection.

Guest BrianRke

My girl, Diamond, gets carried away doing this too. When she starts doing it too hard, I make a high pitch yelping noise just like another dog would do in a pack.

Guest Tes623

I agree you need to nip this behavior now. The more it continues, the more ingrained it becomes. It doesn't matter if it's motivated by excitement/affection. Maybe you don't mind the pain, but someone else likely will and that will lead to problems he doesn't need. There are plenty of ways to show affection.

Yes, that's why I was asking for tips on how to stop him. Thanks

Guest Swifthounds

Somehow I deleted part of my post before hitting send.

I would try the "ow" in a startled/ high pitched type "yelp." before I would try a "no" etc. and stop the interaction. As long as the hound iant oblivious to the yelp , it's a good way to teach inhibition rather than elimination if the behavior entirely and he can learn to knit without touching skin.

Cupid was both timid and a painful knitter when she first came home. The timidity just made it less obvious that knitting was about to occur, so it would be like a sneak attack as well. The yelp approach worked well for her and theres only air knitting now. It's a good thing, because boy does she knit.

Take away his needles until he learns not to knit so aggressively! :colgate

Guest dragontearz

I had to do the same as swifthounds when I got Guinness-he knitted painfully when he got excited with me and using that technique helped greatly.

*knitting - little bites and nibbles on your arm,leg etc. that some of them do when they get excited. Can be painful even though they aren't doing it to be mean...I think this seems like an alright definition of it, though there is probably a better one.

Edited by dragontearz

Guest MonsterMomma

I solved that issue in Manny by giving him a stuffy to hold in his mouth when he got nippy. I kept a couple by the door, since it happened most often when we arrived home. Now he'll run and get one himself when he feels excited. He never, ever puts teeth on us anymore.

Guest zombrie

Somehow I deleted part of my post before hitting send.

I would try the "ow" in a startled/ high pitched type "yelp." before I would try a "no" etc. and stop the interaction.

This has worked GREAT for me in the past.

Take away his needles until he learns not to knit so aggressively! :colgate

:spoot:lol :lol :lol

Is that the same as "chattering" teeth - rapid clicking together of front teeth, sounds almost like purring? They don't touch anything though, just grin and purr :dunno

I think it's actually supposed to be spelled 'nitting' because it's like the thing they do when they bite themselves due to parasites (nits). I know, I know, nits are the eggs, but I think that's where the word comes from.

They just bite very rapidly just with their incisors, the little 'baby' front teeth, not the big canines. It is a sign of affection but it really can hurt, and also bruise.

I'm with Swifthounds. The best way to teach an over-enthusiastic nitter is to yelp like a pup. :nod They simply don't allow for fragile human skin.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest MyCody

I'm having that problem with JJ, I saw Victoria Stillwell demonstrate folding your arms, and turning your back while ignoring them------tried it and was nipped in the butt :)

I keep a small spray bottle handy and squirt her in the face, usually does the trick.