Help Me With These Kidney Values

BUN 104 mg/ dl (ref lab high - 27)

Creat 2.2 (high ref- 1.7)

Elevated phosphorus

I don't have the urinalysis numbers but I didn't hear that anything was off.

Princess has refused to eat anything but Ensure for a week or so. Her creatine doesn't seem crazy high but her BUN is off the charts. This confuses me a little?

Edited by BauersMom

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

Oh yeh, something is going on there. If the BUN was normal, the Creat # would not be too alarming in itself. Did the vet tell you how he/she will proceed?

Misty's #'s were off the chart and it was her kidneys

Many good thoughts from here

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

That's pretty crazy high. Any dehydration? High protein diet? Even that wouldn't seem to get the BUN that high...Any chance there's an error?

I found this link - if you scroll down, you'll see a chart that lists reasons for increased BUN. UGA link

Hope you can get it figured out. :goodluck

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Sorry for my short message to start - I was on my mobile. :rolleyes:

Princess is 13.5 years old and two weeks ago decided to go from "regular old lady picky" to "nothing shall pass these lips". Since she was feeling fine other than that, we thought it was just her going through a phase (not uncommon for her). The last week or so she refused everything except for Ensure and chicken jerky - because of her LP, I don't bring her into the vet unless we have to and so this Monday was finally when I decided we needed to take the drive.

She has no teeth. :) I will ask about the urine specifically when I call this afternoon, I don't have any details there.

Vet is doing IV fluids today and will re-evaluate this evening - she might need to stay another day, we'll see. Vet also suggested starting her on calcium/phosphate binders - she seemed most concerned with the elevated phosphorus levels.

Thanks for everyone's help. I appreciate it.

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

Guest 2dogs4cats

Yes, with these results I would say definitely kidney trouble especialy with the elevated phosphorus. The binder will help. It's vey common for kidney dogs to lose appetite, which is why I have felt it's a race between malnoruishment and kidney failure. I am so sorry. My Ella has kidney disease and there is no cure, just trying to slow it down and decrease symptoms. There are a lot of threads on the topic you may want to read here and also K9kidneys forum.

Probably kidney issue but it sure wouldn't hurt to take a good listen at her heart, keep an eye on her weight (for fluid retention), check her blood pressure. How high was the phos? What was Calcium level in relation to the normal range?

Sending gentle scritchies.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

So - you just made me think of something.... Her weight was right where it was prior to this whole thing, yet she's visibly skinnier and hadnt been eating well for two weeks. You thinking CHF, Batmom?

Edited by BauersMom

Yes, would just want to rule that out or keep an eye on it if it's there.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

dogaware.com is a great site wtih tons of info on kidney disease. You might check there to see if it can help you make sense of things. It's helped me since Fenway's ultrasound and discovery of kidney damage.

Poppy the lurcher 11/24/23
Gabby the Airedale 7/1/18
Forever missing Grace (RT's Grace), Fenway (not registered, def a greyhound), Jackson (airedale terrier, honorary greyhound), and Tessie (PK's Cat Island)

I misheard the creatine number this morning. It's also through the roof high - 10.2, not 2.2. <insert really bad word here>

Here are the numbers from her report that were out of range:

HCT 60% (ref high 55%)

HGB 20.8 g/dl (ref high 18)

MCV 81.2 fL (ref high 77)

BUN 104 mg/dl (ref high 27)

Creatine 10.2 mg/dl (ref high 1.8)

Phos 9.3 mg/dl (ref high 6.8)

ALT 111 u/l (ref high 100)

<insert more bad words>

:(

I can't add anything here, Em, except :grouphug

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Still at the vet. We'll do a full 48 hours of IV fluids and I'm staying hopeful that I can take her home. But we really need those numbers to improve. She was definitely dehydrated, I just don't know how much that will impact the kidney function.

Staying hopeful, staying hopeful....

Well, crap. Only the BUN, Creatinine, Phos you need to worry about tho, and the Phos is sort of irrelevant if you can't get the BUN and Creatinine down. Fingers crossed that fluids bring some reasonable improvement.

Thanks for all the well-wishes, all. The house is too quiet without the grumpy lady here. Trying to stay positive, but I am also trying to be realistic with those numbers.

Gratuitous photo:

CIMG2150.jpg

Edited by BauersMom

Guest Swifthounds

This.

Well, crap. Only the BUN, Creatinine, Phos you need to worry about tho, and the Phos is sort of irrelevant if you can't get the BUN and Creatinine down. Fingers crossed that fluids bring some reasonable improvement.

And this. :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

No word yet, but I wasn't expecting to hear anything until the re-run the bloodwork this afternoon. Patience is not one of my strong qualities.