Irritable Bowel Disease And Ple

Guest zaylea

Guest zaylea

I'd love to join the Yahoo group for advice since we are looking at a possible IBD dx for my boy, but they won't accept members without a confirmed diagnosis?!? :dunno

This is probably because IBD looks like a lot of other things, and they want to stay on topic. It's one of those things where you rule out everything else first, and the only way to be really sure is with a biopsy. The biopsy matters because it can help you put the dog on the right diet (e.g. ultra low fat or hypoallergenic).

oh my you are telling me exactly what I am going through with my dog Natasha. Never really had good poopy. No mucus in hers, I had her on stuff for horses (foals that firmed her poop up) I have not tried tylan yet. We have not done the surgery yet. but all the symtoms are the same. did your pup have gas too? I may need to chat with you some more. If you do not mind

LIsa

There's a lot of things that can cause IBD symptoms. If your vet has ruled everything else out, and you can afford it, getting a biopsy can be a good idea so you'll know exactly what kind of IBD he has.

Batou was wicked gassy before he started treatment. He was on diarsanyl, which is a paste you can give to horses, but it didn't really seem to help.

Edited by zaylea

Guest zaylea

Just an update on Batou. He's had a good firm mucous-free stool for almost a week now. The only thing that's a little odd is he poops more frequently but in small quantities like 4 or 5 times a day. He used to only go first thing in the morning (8am) and before dinner (5pm), but now if I don't give him enough time to poo when I take him out before bed (around 11pm), I find presents in the morning.

My vet is going to talk with the IMS that did his endoscopy about whether or not it's a good idea to taper him off of the prednisone now. I sure hope he says it's ok - on top of the peeing, he's developed this obsession with chewing on the corner of my bed frame. I'll give him a knuckle bone to distract him, and he'll chew on that for hours, but as soon as I take it away, he goes after the bed frame again (he never was a big chewer until he started on the pred). He chewed up my nightstands and coasters too. I had to replace the nightstands with ones that have a glass top, and got metal coasters!

My vet is going to talk with the IMS that did his endoscopy about whether or not it's a good idea to taper him off of the prednisone now. I sure hope he says it's ok - on top of the peeing, he's developed this obsession with chewing on the corner of my bed frame. I'll give him a knuckle bone to distract him, and he'll chew on that for hours, but as soon as I take it away, he goes after the bed frame again (he never was a big chewer until he started on the pred). He chewed up my nightstands and coasters too. I had to replace the nightstands with ones that have a glass top, and got metal coasters!

When dogs chew wood, it can indicate a B-12 anemia from Intestinal Malabsorption. A cobalamin/folate test will show if that's the case, which should have been done in determining the PLE, but the cobalamin level may not have been focused on. If that's what it is, Batou will require B-12 injections, which are easily given just under the skin at home. (Our Spencer got diagnosed after chewing a window sill and a rocking chair. Later we found SIBO and IBD.) The good news is that this isn't a behavioral problem, and the deficiency is easily dealt with. The behavior will stop with the first shot!

ETA: I think the cobalamin/folate testing is often done as part of determining pancreatic insufficiency, not PLE, :blush so it may not have been done for your dog before.

Edited by greyhead
Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Guest zaylea

When dogs chew wood, it can indicate a B-12 anemia from Intestinal Malabsorption. A cobalamin/folate test will show if that's the case, which should have been done in determining the PLE, but the cobalamin level may not have been focused on. If that's what it is, Batou will require B-12 injections, which are easily given just under the skin at home. (Our Spencer got diagnosed after chewing a window sill and a rocking chair. Later we found SIBO and IBD.) The good news is that this isn't a behavioral problem, and the deficiency is easily dealt with. The behavior will stop with the first shot!

That's really interesting. I really doubt it's a behavioral problem, it didn't become an issue until the past few months. I'll ask my vet about it. I thought it was odd that he only went after wooden and paper things.

Guest 2dogs

Zaylea,

THanks so much. SOunds like you have some good vets. After the ultrasound that vet deemed that she may have IBS. I have Natasha on Bio=Sponge right now another horse product as paste, not having any success on it.

This may be too pesonal but I got a quote for about 2400 for the scope and biopsy. Does that sound too much? about right? I have to call some more vets today. But after having dental work today I could not speak normally. So tomorrow.

Thank you so much for posting. You are helping me soo much

Lisa

Guest zaylea

This may be too pesonal but I got a quote for about 2400 for the scope and biopsy. Does that sound too much? about right? I have to call some more vets today. But after having dental work today I could not speak normally. So tomorrow.

I think that sort of stuff varies by where you live. When they gave me the estimate for the scope/biopsy, they gave me a range. The low end was something like 1800 and the high end was 2500ish. I think I paid the low end. His ultrasound was inconclusive, so my vet had given me the option of diagnosing him empirically (i.e. systematically trying things and seeing if they work) which would have been cheaper, or doing an endoscopy. I opted for the endoscopy because I was afraid he was going to die before we figured out what was wrong, and he has pet insurance, so (hopefully) 90% will get reimbursed. Unfortunately, if your dogs don't already have pet insurance, you're SOL because it'd be a pre-existing condition.

Guest zaylea

Last night when I came home from work, I found that Batou had passed away. There was diarrhea all over my apartment. He was fine in the morning and had a firm stool. His albumin test last week was normal. I called his vet and we aren't sure exactly what happened.

Guest zaylea

OMG :ohno I'm just sickened to read this. My heartfelt condolences to you :grouphug . I hope this isn't insensitive, but are you going to have a necropsy done to try to determine what the cause was?

I had thought about a necropsy, but I'm just going to accept that it was just a complication of IBD (e.g. malnutrition). I know it's nothing that could hurt my other dog. I took him to be cremated last night, and I'll just use the money for a nice urn instead. Another dog died in November (cancer), and I'm too emotionally exhausted at this point to want to wait around for the results of a necropsy, only to find out there was some thing that could have been prevented "if we only knew."

OMG - my stomach just dropped. sad.gif I am so so sorry. grouphug.gif

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

OMG :ohno I'm just sickened to read this. My heartfelt condolences to you :grouphug . I hope this isn't insensitive, but are you going to have a necropsy done to try to determine what the cause was?

I had thought about a necropsy, but I'm just going to accept that it was just a complication of IBD (e.g. malnutrition). I know it's nothing that could hurt my other dog. I took him to be cremated last night, and I'll just use the money for a nice urn instead. Another dog died in November (cancer), and I'm too emotionally exhausted at this point to want to wait around for the results of a necropsy, only to find out there was some thing that could have been prevented "if we only knew."

Totally understandable, and I think you're right about the cause. :( I hope when you feel like it, you'll post in Remembrance and share your thoughts and feelings about Batou. That's where people look for this kind of news, and it helps people work through their losses. Just know that those of us who learn of this are heartsick right along with you. You can tell by all the OMG's that we were all hoping for a good outcome for you and Batou. Thank you for allowing us to try to help.

:f_red

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Oh my word. What a horrible shock for you. Sending gentle hugs.

Godspeed, sweet boy.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.