Gracie's Toe Growth Again

Gracie's toe is still funky.

In October before vet exam where bloody fluid was drained, they said there was fungus, not SLO, treated with ketoconazole and a topical tresaderm:

010.jpg

After that aspiration the swelling went down for a little while. Now it's really back 5months later.

020.jpg

That crustiness near the base of that nail now looks like 3 nails trying to come out of the same bed.

Gracie is not limping but I don't like the swelling.

035-1.jpg

I may be asking for a consult to see about amputating that toe. Given that it's not an outer toe (more typical amputation site?) will this be a problem for how the foot plants or balances itself?

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

In the first picture the nails on the other toes look hollow/deteriorated. That would be SLO.

But none of the others have the funky growth or the swelling. Vet who saw her in October said it wasn't SLO or pemphigus.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest mcsheltie

Well... her nails look like other dogs I have seen with SLO. What does you vet think is causing the problems with the other nails?

On a dog with SLO, not every nail is always funky.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I know nothing about SLO nails in Greyhounds. However, I immediately noticed the hollow nails in the first pic & had to make myself scan the rest of the image to find the growth. Scanned through the other images then went back up to see the original. Those hollow nails caught my eye again. Thought that after I finished reading the replies I should go look at my own dogs as I never remember seeing a hollow nail like that. And then someone mentions the hollow nails. Perhaps they have significance if someone completely unfamiliar with this notices them? Just mentioning it.

ETA: Correction-I know nothing about SLO nails at all Greyhounds or otherwise.

Edited by kudzu

http://www.ngap.org/greyhoung-health-issues-y316.html

I was just on NGAP's website today looking at their anesthesia protocols, and they happened to have a couple of paragraphs on

Pemphigus. I read through it because of DesiRay's ongoing nail issues (not nearly as bad as Gracie's) and their definition

"Classically we see the separation of the nail from the quick." With those hollow nails of hers, that sure looks like it to me.

Heaven knows, I'm no expert, but I think I'd get another opinion. Isn't a middle toe weight bearing? I'd think that would

be pretty problematic.

Best wishes to Gracie. Hope you get this figured out.

Kathy & DesiRay

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

http://www.ngap.org/...ssues-y316.html

I was just on NGAP's website today looking at their anesthesia protocols, and they happened to have a couple of paragraphs on

Pemphigus. I read through it because of DesiRay's ongoing nail issues (not nearly as bad as Gracie's) and their definition

"Classically we see the separation of the nail from the quick." With those hollow nails of hers, that sure looks like it to me.

Heaven knows, I'm no expert, but I think I'd get another opinion. Isn't a middle toe weight bearing? I'd think that would

be pretty problematic.

Best wishes to Gracie. Hope you get this figured out.

Kathy & DesiRay

THANK YOU! Interesting that the article says vets often misdiagnose this as fungal.

tiny hada siggy.png

Has an x-ray been done to see if the bone that the nail grows out of is affected? If there's bone involvement, I'd more seriously consider amputation (and send off for biopsy and culture). Most dogs do fine even with complete weight-bearing toe amputations. But if you can get away with just removing the last bone of the toe - (essentially like a declaw), it would have less effect on the balance of the foot. X-rays might give you more info on whether this is a good option, although if the biopsy comes back as something bad, you may need to go back and amputate the rest of the toe.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

I second the recommenation for radiographs. I dunno, I did have an SLO dog- he never looked like that and he never had just one toe become swollen-- I'm sure it can present in different ways. My boy had the traditional symptoms-- nails lifting and then falling off one by one-- never discharge or swelling.

Edited by tbhounds

I've found an even better article on treatment by Dr Stack

tiny hada siggy.png

Here's another article on SLO with more current info and treatment options. Many dogs respond to just the essential fatty acid supplementation and don't need the stronger drugs.

http://www.grassmere-animal-hospital.com/SLO.htm

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg