Good Thoughts For Chase Please

Guest LindsaySF

Guest LindsaySF

It does sound a lot like Mama Ro's case! I'm hoping that Chase's appetite and her kidney values will improve now that the gross teeth are gone. Did you have to put Mama Ro on a kidney diet?

Chase's weight on the vet's scale was only 47.5 lbs. mad.gif It was 50.5 lbs on my scale. I'm determined to get more weight on her once she's home!

This morning's update from the vet was pretty good. :) Chase didn't have any hemorrhaging from the extractions which is good, and she's not chewing at her IV like the first time she stayed at the vet. She still won't eat on her own, but she took syringe-feeding well. I have been syringe-feeding her a lot, so nothing new there! She was shivering today so they upped her pain meds. I told the vet that she might be cold there (she doesn't have any jammies on) so they are going to cover her with a blanket and see if that helps.

I am hoping to take her home tonight. We'll probably continue the syringe-feeding and possibly sub-q fluids. The vet will call me with an update later this afternoon.

~Lindsay~

Edited by LindsaySF

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest greytbookert

After Mama's first dental, her kidney values improved to a normal range and she stayed there for a good year, year and a half. However, as she got older, she develop high enough values where we did have to put her on a kidney diet, which she tolerated and did well on for quite some time. We used the Purina kidney v. the Hills. It as tasty for her :) I also home cooked a kidney diet for her too.

Also, with Mama before her dental she didn't want to eat. It was a chore to feed her. Her foster mom, Robin, tried everything... tuna, salmon, tripe, mackerel even Cambell's Chicken soup lol!

After the dental and numerous extractions, there was no stopping Mama when it came to food! So maybe Chase will be the same :hope . If the teeth were as bad as I think they were, that could be part of her reluctancy to eat on her own.

I'll keep praying for Chase. If there is anything you need, let me know!

Guest LindsaySF

Sorry for the delay. Chase is home, I picked her up late last night. The vet sent her home on a kidney prescription diet. I bought both the Purina and the Science Diet, not knowing which she'd prefer. She's on Tramadol for pain and Clavamox antibiotics. (She wouldn't eat the last time she was on Clavamox, so I'm dreading the next few weeks of it....)

She wouldn't eat anything last night so I blended the Rx food and syringe-fed her. She fought me like crazy, I guess that's a good thing? :lol

Today she ate some baby food on her own. :yay But other than that I've been syringe-feeding her the Rx died blended with water. She's not drinking water on her own yet either.

I have a call in to the vet because Chase's right front leg and paw is very swollen. :( It's not the paw with the bandage on it, so I don't think it's the paw the IV was in. Unless they tried to put an IV in that leg initially and it didn't take? Below is a pic. It doesn't seem to hurt her, but the swelling has me a little worried.

195863_675373963243_24204182_37881664_436433_n.jpg

~Lindsay~

Poor baby, she needs a break here, hopefully her paw is ok., sending more prayers for this sweet girl, glad she is home now :bighug

med_gallery_14228_2915_582.jpg
Roberta & Michael with Furkids- Flower (Shasta Flowers 6/7/06) & Rascal the kitty - Missing our sweet angels - Max(M's Mad Max) 10/12/02 - 12/3/15, Sara (Sara Raves 6/30/01 - 4/13/12) Queenie & Pandora the kitties - gone but never forgotten

Guest Swifthounds

Were her kidney values wonky before the dental?

:bighug Glad she's home and hope you get the leg sorted out. Poor thing doesn't need any more issues.

Guest LindsaySF

Her kidney values were wonky the morning of the dental (pre-op bloodwork and urinalysis). The two previous times we did bloodwork it was normal for a dog her age. One of the values (creatinine?) had been a little high, but urinalysis was normal so it wasn't concerning. But the pre-op testing showed WBC's and protein in her urine.

I'm hoping Chase will be like Mama Ro, that her kidney values will normalize a bit now that the bad teeth are gone.

She ate some corn beef and cabbage tonight. blush.gif Still syringe-feeding her the canned kidney diet.

~Lindsay~

Edited by LindsaySF

Guest LindsaySF

The vet called me back about the swelling, and she thinks it was a failed IV. She said she thinks the IV blew and they had to switch legs. She wasn't really worried about it, as long as it's not hurting her, which it doesn't seem to be. We'll see if the swelling goes down in the next day or so.

She asked about Chase's appetite, which hasn't been great. I said I was able to get her to eat meat tonight, but she doesn't like the kidney food so I've been syringe-feeding it. She said proper nutrition is more important than the kidney diet at this point, so if she won't eat it it's okay to abort the mission. :lol I gave her 2/3 cup of Bil-Jac kibble (what she was eating semi-reliably before the dental) and she scarfed it down! :yay

~Lindsay~

Guest Swifthounds

Neither the SD , nor the Purina kidney foods really have much of a smell - even compared to other kibble, let alone real food. If she really does need some type of kidney diet, there are lots of other options besides expensive crap. I've never had luck getting a recovering dog to eat food with no smell.

Good to hear she's eating the other foods, especially if she's eating on her own so soon after losing that many teeth.

Re: The leg swelling, sounds like it's good news about the IV. I was also thinking it might have been a second IV for fluids, which I have seen done.

Guest LindsaySF

The leg swelling is down a lot. Almost back to normal. :)

Chase ate some of the kidney kibble today, I tricked her by mixing it in with her other food. :lol We've also gotten her to eat the Rx diet by making "sandwiches" of the wet kidney food on some sliced bread. :)

Today she ate some other canned food and I just cooked up some ground beef. She lost weight at the vet, so I'm hoping to get it back on her.

She must feel a million times better without those teeth!

~Lindsay~

Guest greytbookert

That's great to hear! Way to go Chase!

What we "tricked" Mama with was green tripe, the canned, as it smelled so horrible versus the frozen.

Also, as Mama progressed with her kidney disease, I made her egg whites, lean ground hamburger and white bread mixed with the green tripe. It kept the kidney diet in check, while allowing her to eat "real" food.

If there is anything I can do, please let me know!

• 2 weeks later...