Where Does Your Greyhound Sleep?

Guest manawatugal

My two sleep on dog beds in the bedroom. I like to know where they are and that they aren't up to something.

LOL!!! Our Grey sleeps in the bedroom cause he wants to know where *we* are and that we aren't up to something. :colgate

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Nebride

Damien sleeps on his own bed in the bedroom. It's a bit awkward because the room is so tiny and his bed is so big, but I'd found that I can slide his bed under ours during the day - so we can walk around. He has beds in all other rooms of the house for daytime naps. He also sleeps in the bedroom for only part of the night. He is still on track time and gets up about an hour earlier than we do, so I take him out (he really needs to go potty) and then shut him out of the bedroom when he comes back in. I'm trying to train him that he looses bedroom privliages if he gets up before the alarm.

Dawn - *needing more sleep*

Damien - hey! Watcha doin' lollygaggin in bed at 4:00AM? I'm ready to get up!

Both of our dogs (one grey, one mixed breed) sleep on their dog beds in our bedroom. Actually we have a babygate so that they can't wander off around the house because early in the morning our mixed breed likes to bark at things she sees out the window. In our room the curtains are closed and in case a noise causes her to bark it's much easier to tell her to hush and go back to sleep quickly. :D Also in case they need to potty or have an upset tummy during the night having access to our room makes it easier for them to wake me and I'm much more likely to get them out in time.

Their gated area includes all three bedrooms and the bathroom, which has their water bowls in case they need a drink. Our mixed breed will sometimes go and sleep on a bed in the spare bedroom or climb up to snuggle with us, generally she kind of migrates throughout the night. Our grey however is content to stay on his dog bed all night, he only gets up if he's cold and needs to be covered up with a blanket. ;)

Guest Jodiesmom

Anywhere she wants! But somewhere in the middle of the night...when she gets cold, she wants to be back in her king sized bed, under the covers, that she lets me share with her. I am so lucky that she lets me sleep on the edge of the bed, with only enough blankets to halfway cover me.

Guest sophiesmum

Sophie sleeps on a dog bed next to our bed. Originally we thought that she would prefer the couch in the living room- which she didnt mind, but in the early days we woke up to find that she'd peed in the hallway. So we moved her to our room and put a string of bells on the door handle just so we could hear her if she needed to go outside.

Even though she is in a good toileting routine now, we are all used to the situation. I have to get up for work early in the morning and once Im out of bed she usually steals my warm spot in bed and sleeps next to hubby for another hour or so :)

Sleeping on our bed every now and then hasnt changed her behaviour in a negative way or anything though.

Guest FordRacingRon

I know I am late chiming in and have not read the repsonses but Leia sleeps on any square inch of the floor she wants. When she was new I put he bed next to ours and I can't get out of bed with her there,,I have to slide off the end,,so yes siz is an issue but I would do anything fo that dog. That was her safe spot and still is. But she also has beds in the living room and den. She spends most of the day in the den (where we are) but when the sun goes down she seems to gravitate to the livingroom. When we go to sleep she sleeps in the hallway near our door, then will move into her bedroom bed,,then all night she will walk around the house and use all 3 of her beds.

BTW,,Leia has never been on furniture. When we go away she stays at the sitters whos 2 greys will go on the furniture but Leia has never done it there or here.

Guest katethegreyt

Well after reading all your replies we have decided that the best place for Stanley is beside our bed, and that's where he has been for the last two nights, very happily. We love to wake up to him and he is very quiet during the night. Going back to the pack leader thing, he doesn't seem to want to try and assert himself very much at all and is very obliging but having never been a dog owner before (well not since a kid) I was a bit concerned about that and did lots of reading. My husband and I are both big softies anyway and as he seems to instinctively know what to do so I don't think we will have many problems there. I don't think he will ever not be interested in small animals that move though and we won't be able to let him off leash in a public place until such time we know he will come back to us. We have a fantastic river walk here that you can let dogs off but I wouldn't trust him yet or I would use his muzzle.

And yes I understand that he is not used to being alone and we are happy with that. They are not a smelly breed at all and don't moult like some dogs but then he is brushed regularly which he seem to really enjoy. Everything is a learning curve for us in owning a greyhound and a bit different to other breeds. I have quite a few friends with dogs but they tend to be labs or small terriers. Can't believe we've only had him for one week, it seems like we've had him for ages!

Yay! Right by the bed where he belongs = ) Greyhounds are a royal breed and deserve to be treated as such, haha. My girl sleeps way more soundly than I do, and her little sleep noises entertain me immensely as I'm reading before bed.

As for the pack leader thing - some of the "leader" stuff is bunk (your dog doesn't head out the door first because he's trying to "dominate" you, he rushes out first because it's fun out there and you've LET him instead of making him wait like a good leader should, haha), but in this case, a lot of people actually feel that allowing a dog to sleep in your "den" makes him feel closer to you and comfortable that you are the "leader." Depending on the dog, that can be a little sticky if you let them on the bed (not so for a personal bed on the floor), but for many dogs, it's never an issue up on the bed either. There's certainly nothing wrong with keeping him off of your furniture for a few months until he settles in - in fact, they highly recommend this for those tough enough to avoid those sweet sweet eyes begging for some couch time = ) I let my girl up on the furniture pretty early on because she was VERY responsive to "off" when I wanted her off or moving when I said so, but I had planned to follow the rules and keep her off the furniture at first, haha.

Yeah, being off leash with these guys pretty much is only ever okay if fenced in, so no need to expect him to be the exception to the rule, haha. Even the people who have super well trained greyhounds that compete tend to not trust them unless they are FAR away from anything dangerous like a road or fenced in.

Apparently some greys shed like crazy (though still light compared to most breeds), but we definitely got one that doesn't so far! And she doesn't smell much at all except when she's opted to sleep on a bully stick instead of chew it, haha.

Sounds like he's settling in quite well = )

Guest mollieandme

Mine get the run of the house, although the ritual is that everyone starts in the bedroom. By morning, the crew is scattered. Rocko has a crate in the bedroom but doesn't care to use it. He also doesn't leave the bedside.

Guest manawatugal

Why the crates for dogs? I understand for little dogs you can transport them a bit but don't know how you would pick up a greyhound in a crate. Or is it a safety thing for them ie they like to feel safe in their own space and they are used to being in small kennels during racing. I looked at one yesterday but could see no reason to use it in my house.

Guest mollieandme

Why the crates for dogs? I understand for little dogs you can transport them a bit but don't know how you would pick up a greyhound in a crate. Or is it a safety thing for them ie they like to feel safe in their own space and they are used to being in small kennels during racing. I looked at one yesterday but could see no reason to use it in my house.

I only use a crate for my foster at night so he doesn't get into mischief at night. Over time, and with judicious use of baby gates, I allowed him roam free too and his desire to be near me trumped his desire to wander about, getting into trouble.

In general, there are many reasons to use a crate, not the least of which is, after years of living in them, greys often find them comforting. It's their space in the new home and can provide refuge if things get overwhelming. Mine grew out of it but some like their crates long after the track days are over. I'm sure many folks will chime in with other reasons.

Sammi ends up sleeping in my bed, somehow touching me (either tail draped over my ankle, using my leg or back as a headrest, curled in a ball between my knees, or stretched out against me... but always touching somehow. and if I move, breaking contact, she will readjust :wub:) If I were to try to shut her out of my room, she would whine the house down. She has a hard time understanding that I don't need her to guard me in the shower :blink:

She starts the bedtime out by sulking when I tell her to scoot over. So she stalks off the bed to pout, first by the door. Then she moves to her dog bed next to the bed. Then she hops over me to sleep on my bed next to the wall in one of the described areas, or the ball between my knees if I am already stretching out in the "sprawled out runner" position (stomach sleeper lol). Honestly? I can't comfortably fall asleep unless she's up on the bed :ph34r but that's our secret

I love the Ellen show, and I think my fave interview was Sandra Bullock. I laughed SO hard when they started talking about pets at night because as someone that has always let pets sleep on my bed, I found it all true! :lol

Found it on youtube if anyone wants to check it out :) It's pt 2 of the interview. They start discussing pets around the 3min5sec mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuVsRqXrlmc&playnext=1&list=PLAF014BCED26E180D