New Greyhound, Accidents Inside .... Need Advice!

Guest quinoa

We adopted Rocket a month ago. There have been some sporadic accidents since then, but I thought things were going well. Then my husband went on a trip on Tuesday, and things have gone crazy since then. He does not climb stairs yet. :-) All of his accidents have been on vinyl or hardwood so far, though the hardwood is of a type hard to clean. We removed the area rug from living room after 2 accidents there. I am at home with toddler + 8 year old, so the bed time is "early", and all of this dog walking is wearing me out a little.

Wednesday:

7:17am walk

8:00 bus stop/walk

8:10 food

8:15 ACCIDENT kitchen (belly band on)

11:00 long walk

2:00 pm walk

4:00 walk

5:00 dinner

5:30 walk

6:30 long walk

8:20 walk

Thurs:

7:20am walk

8:00 bus stop/walk

8:30 walk (poop, no pee)

1:30 ACCIDENT kitchen (belly band on)

1:40 walk no pee

3:50 walk

4:00 walk/bus stop

4:30 dinner

5:30 walk

8:00 walk

Friday

7:30am walk

8:00 bus stop/run off lead

10:45 walk

2:10 pm walk

4:00 walk

4:50 dinner

4:55 ACCIDENT living room (belly band not on)

5:00 walk (poop, no pee)

Before his trip, husband has been taking Rocket on a long walk every morning (1/3 mile). Could the long walk somehow help prevent accidents later in the day? It looks like 2 of the 3 accidents have been right after meals, so we can move the meals earlier and do the bus stop right after.

Will things get easier when it gets warmer outside?

I did read the other recent accident thread, I will be using Resolve (again!) and steam mopping after I post this.

Guest IrskasMom

Maybe walk right after Eating would help . And yes Summertime will help to do to going for walks later and maybe more often . Don't forget a Month is really no time yet for settling in , maybe Rocket is still stressed from all the New Surrounding . Give it more time and it will get better. :):):)

Thurs:

<snip>

8:30 walk (poop, no pee)

1:30 ACCIDENT kitchen (belly band on)

1:40 walk no pee.

First off let me say that I'm no expert - we adopted our first just a year ago. I'm sure that the more experienced folks will weigh in here, but in the meantime...ours is a boy doggie, and the words "walk, no pee" are frankly incomprehensible to me ;).

In all seriousness, barring a medical issue it sounds like he doesn't really understand the whole "pee outside, NEVER inside" thing yet, and now that the routine has been disrupted a bit, he's not sure what to do. If you have a crate (and he's OK with being crated), now might be a good time to use it to confine him while you start over with housebreaking 101?

gallery_21712_3317_21715.jpg
Merlin (Heathers Wizard), Mina (Where's Rebecca), and Mae the Galga - three crazy dogs in the house of M

I agree with a walk right after he eats. As others have said, he also might not quite understand the going out thing yet. Maybe you can try praising him a lot or rewarding him when he actually goes outside.

If you watch very carefully, he may actually be telling you when he needs to go out. Sometimes the signals are very subtle and take a while to decipher. Treasure's licks her butt when she has to go and Loca started to pant. Phoenix starts to play. I'd try taking him out as soon as you seen what could be a change in behaviour.

Edited by robinw

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Just looking at your list, it seems that each accident is right after a meal. So, logic dictates you take him out right after he eats!

Have you had any experience housebreaking a dog? If so, there's no need for anyone to explain how it's done; if not, let us know, and I'm sure everyone has some favorite tips!

What helped me with my dog was to say, "Let's go tinkle" (or whatever you want to say) as I could see he was going to, then "good boy! good tinkle!" and give him a treat IMMEDIATELY after he piddles outside. Not after you get in--it has to be an immediate action/reward thing.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Thanks for all the advice! I really appreciate it :-)

We do have a large fenced in back yard, but it has a farm pond and some squirrels, I feel more comfortable having him off-lead under direct supervision right now. Especially since it is so darn cold outside this week. (We are in PA. very windy today, Rocket RAN back from his walk this evening.)

Access to the fenced in back yard is from the basement, and he does not do stairs yet... so he gets to the back yard by going out the front door and around the side of the house. (not so convenient for me!)

We have not housebroken a dog before. Cats are so much easier! I thought things were going well, until this week.

Usually, Bernie does a good job actually walking to our back door, and then moving his head around to eventually look at me. I know it's time. But, sometimes, he simply makes eye contact as he's standing just anywhere in the kitchen...and I go and open the door. Yep, he wanted to go out then, too!

You may want to watch out for that.

Also, I don't know if it really sounds like he understands house training yet. Anytime he uses the bathroom, be sure to give him a tasty treat immediately afterward. He should catch on.

I don't suggest Resolve for cleaning up accidents...I prefer Nature's Miracle.

Good luck :colgate

Lauren the Human, along with Justin the Human, Kay the Cat and Bernie the Greyhound! (Registered Barney Koppe, 10/30/2006)

Bernie-signature-400.jpg

Guest iLoveLucie

We have no yard, so our hound is always on a leash for walks/breaks. When training her I found it helpful to take her to the same spot every time at first and give her a treat after. Now she gets it - walk outside on the leash and go.

However when the weather if "off" - cold/rainy/snowy - she'll hold it in - maybe hoping to go back inside. So we all get cold/wet walking back and forth near her "spot" until she'll finally go.

Guest mom2hounds

We also had a few accidents when we brought home our hound. I was missing her signals for "I gotta go". She starts slowly walking around the room, then she will stop and look at you for a second and then continue walking. Try to figure out his signals. Also we use Nature's Miracle for cleaning. It gets rid of the sent so they don't go to the same spot. Treats also worked well for us. Give him a treat and praise right after he goes potty.

It took a good 4 months before I could fully trust my Grey. I will tell you what worked for me and it was discovered purely accidental. My neighbor was watching Kasey and her dog rings a bell. What do you know when I returned 3 days later she told me how Kasey took to the bell after one day of watching her dog use it. I always had trouble figuring out when Kasey needed out but the bell was great! She now rings the bell whenever she needs out, it is her way of letting me know since a lot of Greys won't bark at the door or do any of the other things other breeds do. I bought some different sized bells at Ben Franklin crafts and bought some pretty ribbon and made my own bell system and hung it from my sliding glass door. Just an idea, it worked for me! P.S just hang the bell and give it a ring every time you let(or take) your Grey out and she will eventually get it. Mine just uses her nose to swing into the bells as you make sure they hang at a level they can easily get to.

I'd take him out right after meals and see how he does. Have known quite a few greys who are accustomed to doing that.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Greyaholic ... looks like your grey is a 2nd cousin once removed of mine. The common ancestor is Cruzin By Design. Thoug I just noticed that Dogem by Design has 9484 offspring. Um.... wow!

Greyaholic ... looks like your grey is a 2nd cousin once removed of mine. The common ancestor is Cruzin By Design. Thoug I just noticed that Dogem by Design has 9484 offspring. Um.... wow!

Just thought I'd tell you that 'greyaholic' is not a user name but a sort of title based on number of posts. Since you are new your title is 'newbie be gentle'. The user names are in the blue header at the top of a reply.

If you want to try getting your dog down the steps to the basement try using what is known as the 'suitcase method.' Use a harness and hold the dog slightly up and against you as you navigate the steps. I taught a stair shy boy the ropes in just a cpl trips this way.

Guest 2dogs4cats

A month is not very long really to be potty training, so don't worry he will get the hang of it. He probably just doesn't know yet where he is supposed to potty. If you catch him "in the act", immediately take him outside to show him where he should go. Also, every time he potties outside, give him a small treat and a pat on the head. Then he knows what he's supposed to be doing. Good luck! GHs are smart and he will catch on fast! I have had 3 and my oldest is now 14.

Thanks for all the advice! I really appreciate it :-)

We do have a large fenced in back yard, but it has a farm pond and some squirrels, I feel more comfortable having him off-lead under direct supervision right now. Especially since it is so darn cold outside this week. (We are in PA. very windy today, Rocket RAN back from his walk this evening.)

Access to the fenced in back yard is from the basement, and he does not do stairs yet... so he gets to the back yard by going out the front door and around the side of the house. (not so convenient for me!)

We have not housebroken a dog before. Cats are so much easier! I thought things were going well, until this week.

OK! This is useful!

So... this dog is probably simply not housebroken yet! It takes a while! You are on the right track, for sure. Remember, he has NEVER had to tell anyone anything--they're fed on a schedule, let out on a schedule, etc. I've had my dog for three years, and he still doesn't really get that he needs to TELL ME if he has to go out when it's not actually time!

So you want to housebreak him as if he's a puppy who knows NOTHING.

That means you take him out upon waking, after meals, after a long nap, after a play session (if he plays inside), etc. You also need to watch him like a HAWK. Sometimes the signs are very subtle that they have to go. The only accident George ever had (that wasn't related to his mysterious health issue) he actually DID tell me he had to go out--I just didn't know that in his mind, picking up a toy and trotting around the living room was HIS way of saying, "Hey lady, I have to pee!" so I ignored him and he let one rip on the carpet. Now I know!!!

Any sign of pacing is a pretty good indicator they have to go.

If you can, keep him in your eye sight at ALL TIMES when you're home.

And it's REALLY important, I think, to have a word for peeing so you can tell him it's time to go, and consequently praise him like a lunatic when he does!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

Just another item I thought I would mention, the stairs comment you made a few times. Your hound can do stairs, you just have to train him. Do not coddle him or take him out the front door, take him up and down the stairs. Down will be much easier for him, up sometimes is more challenging depending on if the stairs are open or not. From your comment about the basement, I am guessing the stairs are concrete without any covering (carpet or other finish). If so, this is easy as pie. My method may sound mean, or crewl, but all the steps I am going to give you need to remember at ALL TIMES to remain upbeat, happy, highpitched happy voice. NEVER EVER loose your patence, jerk, or otherwise manhandle the hound. Here is what I do:

1) when at the bottom of the steps, with the leash on your hound, get behind the hound, place front right foot on the second or third step up (depends on the run-height of the steps and your hound's height), then take rear right foot and place on the first step up.

2) take front left leg and place on the second or third step, then take left rear leg and place on the first step up.

3) repeat with legs. You are teaching him how to walk up steps.

4) when at the top of the steps, this is much easier. You take your hand and put your four fingers through the loop of the martingale (the part that opens up when you tighten the collar). Put your hounds head against your hip, and walk down the stairs.

5) on the way down, this is where I make reference to the fact that you cannot in any way yank or jerk your hound. You need to be firm, relaxed and maintain constant pressure while pulling your hound over the threashold of the top step. This is where they will lock their legs and not want to go. Once you get them over the top step and their body down a stair or two you will notice that the body suddenly stops resisting and naturally walks with you down the stairs.

6) while walking down, you must keep your hounds head against your hip for the first few times you go down the stairs. He needs to understand the speed you want him to walk down the stairs, as well as you are his rock. He will gain confidence from you and stability. You do not let go of his collar until you are nearly at the bottom as he may jump the last step or two.

Repeat, repeat, repeat.

This may sound that I am advising you to physically dominate your hound, but that is not the case. You, as your hounds leader, need to be firm, confident, fair and loving. Please do not mistake my suggestion for any type of abuse.

I deal with broken leg hounds and have 9 open-face wood stairs that the hounds must do from day one to eliminate outside. WHen I get the hounds I am the second foster home (the first home is the triage unit that takes care of the cast duration, I deal with the physical rehab if needed). All of my fosters have learned the steps in one day, and after about a week of me going up and down with them holding them, they are then trustworthy to go up and down on their own. This includes tri-pods, and hounds that still dont want to put pressure on their injured leg.

Do no sell your hound short, he has the ability to learn anything any other dog can learn, and just about as fast.

Chad

Guest quinoa

Update... Things are going much better. The humAn is learning!

We are going out immediately after eating, praising and giving treats, got natures miracle. Etc. And a bell by the door, someday he may figure that out! Weather is much better here, so life is simpler, walks are a little easier when i dont freeze.

Rocket did the stairs today for the first time... All are carpeted!

Guest 2dogs4cats

Update... Things are going much better. The humAn is learning!

We are going out immediately after eating, praising and giving treats, got natures miracle. Etc. And a bell by the door, someday he may figure that out! Weather is much better here, so life is simpler, walks are a little easier when i dont freeze.

Rocket did the stairs today for the first time... All are carpeted!

:clap Awesome!

Guest IrskasMom

Great Update . A little more time and he will be the best Dog you ever had. Let him explore the Backyard. Give us here and there down the Road an Update on Rocket. :):):)