Nylabone

Guest greytgrandma

Guest greytgrandma

Im looking for something for Hot Rod to chew on. Something I dont have to order.At Farm & Fleet today I saw lots of nylabone chews. I was wondering about the edible nylabone chews. Are they ok or a no no ?

The only thing we've found that Rocket gets any good chewing action out of is bones from the butcher shop. Everything else is gone in 30 seconds. He usually gets a bone 2-3 inches wide once or twice a week. They are actually cheaper than chews, I get about 6 bones for 2 to 3 dollars. We do make sure that he is not left alone with the bones.

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

My dogs love these!! We have 4 of them. I call them the testicle toy. :lol :lol :lol But I am not kidding you when I say, they love, love, love them.

Disco tries to carry one outside almost every time they go out. And he stands there with his head down, pretending it isn't there. :angel As if we are not going to see it when we slip the muzzles on. :rofl :rofl :rofl He's so funny.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Guest iLoveLucie

We tried nylabones and our dog had zero interest at first. Then we dipped it in peanut butter and froze it - she seems to like that, but lost interest once the PB was gone. These days we've gone with american made rawhide bones - the big ones will last a long time. Been wanting to try a raw bone but haven't gotten around to exploring that...

I have been on the quest for a safe, long lasting, healthy chew. I have yet to find it. I have tried the following....

Edible nylabone type products: I give these occasionally but they don't last long and they are fairly hard so I do worry about his teeth sometimes.

Pizzles and bullysticks: LOVE these for being safe and healthy but they get a thumbs down in the stamina department. Maybe 10 minutes. He goes nuts for them though so I do keep them in stock and he gets one every week or so.

Raw marrow bones: He likes these pretty well, they're cheap, they last the longest of anything I've given him. They're healthy enough, though I'm not nuts about raw things, and because it is bone I do worry about his teeth. I take it away when the meat is gone and most of the marrow is gone... i.e. when he starts really going to town on the bone itself. I don't want any broken teeth.

I have not tried rawhides nor will I. They're not digestible and I've heard too many horror stories about dogs choking. So these get a thumbs down for us.

Pigs ears (natural ones, not bleached or covered in oil) and tracheas are liked here but again, last about 10 seconds.

We just got some IAMS dental chews from his first blood donation goodie bag. Have yet to try those.

I've given him greenies before. They don't last long but he seems to like them.

Zukes dental bones are awesome. I haven't actually bought any for him but our foster dog loved them. They don't last though. Maybe 5-10 minutes.

Just bought him an antler last week. Zero interest.

Edited by krissy

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Guest RiverCityGang

My dogs love these!! We have 4 of them. I call them the testicle toy. :lol :lol :lol But I am not kidding you when I say, they love, love, love them.

Disco tries to carry one outside almost every time they go out. And he stands there with his head down, pretending it isn't there. :angel As if we are not going to see it when we slip the muzzles on. :rofl :rofl :rofl He's so funny.

I second these!! All my dogs love them - the greys and the littles! I buy when they are on sale and put away till I need them, but they last a long, long time . I have about 12 of them in various stages - from about done with to brand new . Marlee is another one who carries them out with her. I walk around the yard, pick them up, wash them off, and they are back at them !

Edited by RiverCityGang

Guest greytgrandma

I saw that chew toy in the store the other day. I think I may be able to smear some peanut butter in the hills and valleys of that one to get him to chew on it. So I think Ill try the "testicle "toy :lol Since it sounds like the edible chew doesnt last very long Ill just get a big box of large milk bones at Sam's club this weekend.He can have one each day when I go over to let him out or walkies. Then on days when the weather gets warm again Ill smear some peanut butter on the "testicle" toy and he can chew on it while I sit in the back yard and "try " to read a book.I usually end up watching Hot Rod more than read even if hes just sleeping in the sun :rolleyes:

So its a new chew toy and Milk bones for Hot Rod.

thanks for the suggestion

of course I will post pics when he gets his new fun things.

I gave his kong to his mama Angie the other day and told her all the fun things she can put in it and freeze to give to him when she wants to keep him busy. Ill have to buy another one to have here at our house.

I had his undivided attention today on our walk cause I had a pocket full of snap treats :lol:

Guest BlingDogs

Dory isn't a big chewer, nor a strong one. She gets a big boiled bone about once a month as a treat. She never breaks off anything, just kinda nibbles at them, so I don't want to try any other toy out there. It seems that most dogs don't really like it unless they get food out of it :lol

My girls love these too! I have 3 girls :gh_bow :gh_bow :gh_bow and 3 bones and they will still steal them from each other. They last almost forever. :beatheart

june