Tick Control

Guest ShannonOReilly

Guest ShannonOReilly

I started having a tick problem in late December. I noticed about 5 teeny tiny ticks on my IG. I suspect a shrub in my backyard must have ticks on it, because my IG likes to hang out near the fence and the flower beds. A week later I found a tick on one of my greys. Frontline hasn't done a great job with the ticks; I've just found a few more - a total of about 12 ticks on the dogs since late December, and I haven't found any ticks just loose and roaming the house. My vet has recommended Preventic collars.

My question is this: if I put the collars on the dogs and simultaneously treat the back yard, will I be good? Do I need to treat the house too? I've never dealt with ticks before and I don't know what the best approach is. I believe ticks will stay on a warm body once they've found it and won't take a house tour :) but I'm just guessing on that...

Guest ShannonOReilly

... All is fine as long as dogs don't get collar in their mouth & you don't have cats.

I do have cats, indoor only... I know I can't use Preventic on them, thought I would Frontline them in case they'd picked up any ticks from the dogs...

I have one cat who does a lot of snuggling & rubbing on one particular hound. This includes rubbing against her neck. That is the worry I have with cats & Preventic collars. Perhaps the chance of problems is quite minimal & maybe if our tick trouble were greater I would risk it. Meaning it might be safe for &/or any possible risks to your cats may be outweighed by the clear risks an outbreak of ticks poses to both cats & dogs.

We have used the Preventic collars on vacations to ticky places. Did an initial spray of Frontline as safeguard until collars took effect. Worked very well. Hope you get this problem conquered.

I have one cat who does a lot of snuggling & rubbing on one particular hound. This includes rubbing against her neck. That is the worry I have with cats & Preventic collars. Perhaps the chance of problems is quite minimal & maybe if our tick trouble were greater I would risk it. Meaning it might be safe for &/or any possible risks to your cats may be outweighed by the clear risks an outbreak of ticks poses to both cats & dogs.

We have used the Preventic collars on vacations to ticky places. Did an initial spray of Frontline as safeguard until collars took effect. Worked very well. Hope you get this problem conquered.

question about frontline spray

do you spray the entire dog or use it like top spot in one area- inbetween the shoulders? i have some and bought it for camping/tic emergencies and would like to use it this year instead of the top spot before it expires.

Frontline spray -- you spray the entire dog. Should say on the bottle, IIRC it's something like 1 spray per lb of dog.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

December a year ago I took Nadir walking at a public park. He must have gotten into a nest of ticks, because after that I found one big one crawling across my sofa (he's the only one allowed up on it) and kept finding little teeny tiny ones wherever he had laid. Everyone told me to use the Preventic collar. I know they have worked for a lot of people, but they did absolutely nothing to kill the ticks on him. I never found any dead ones and the ones I kept finding didn't look like they had even been affected. The thing that finally got rid of them after spraying him down good a few times was Adams Plus Flea & Tick Mist and it is also safe to use on cats. Good luck in getting rid of them quickly, not only are they dangerous healthwise, but they give me the absolute creeps.

Guest d0ggiem0mma

PLEASE be careful with the crappy OTC flea/tick products like that Adams spray. I work in a vet clinic and every spring we get flooded with dogs having seizures or muscle tremors after being dosed with that stuff. It can cause life-threatening reactions even if you follow the directions of the package!!

PLEASE be careful with the crappy OTC flea/tick products like that Adams spray. I work in a vet clinic and every spring we get flooded with dogs having seizures or muscle tremors after being dosed with that stuff. It can cause life-threatening reactions even if you follow the directions of the package!!

Are you sure your talking about Adams and not Hartz. I know there are a lot of problems with the Hartz products, never heard of one with Adams. Heck, a lot of vets' offices carry and sell Adams.

ETA I really don't like any flea and tick products and don't use them on my own dogs. I only used the Adams after the Preventic wasn't working. Once I got rid of the problem I don't continue to use on a regular basis and don't have a flea problem. The odd flea they get here and there is not worth all the chemicals.

Edited by 4My2Greys

Guest Energy11

December a year ago I took Nadir walking at a public park. He must have gotten into a nest of ticks, because after that I found one big one crawling across my sofa (he's the only one allowed up on it) and kept finding little teeny tiny ones wherever he had laid. Everyone told me to use the Preventic collar. I know they have worked for a lot of people, but they did absolutely nothing to kill the ticks on him. I never found any dead ones and the ones I kept finding didn't look like they had even been affected. The thing that finally got rid of them after spraying him down good a few times was Adams Plus Flea & Tick Mist and it is also safe to use on cats. Good luck in getting rid of them quickly, not only are they dangerous healthwise, but they give me the absolute creeps.

We have a lot of deer ticks here, as well, and there have been waayyyyy above normal temps for the last three weeks :-( Anyway, I already started treating my five with Adams Flea and Tick Mist. I use it about every seven to nine days. I mist them completely, and spray my hands, and then massage it into their ears. Last year, maybe one or two ticks tops! AND, NO fleas!

Good Luck!

Adams has been out for years, and is SAFE! I worked for a vet in Florida, and THAT is when I started using it. Yes, some of the OTC spot ons ARE VERY dangerous, but Adams, I assure you, ... is not! I have used it on my greys, with my vet's blessings, for years.

Guest ShannonOReilly

I appreciate all the advice. Ticks, grrrrr! :angryfire They really creep me out. I've had greys for 11 years now, and this is my 1st go 'round with ticks. But if it's starting this early in the year, I figure it's going to be a long season...

Guest Energy11

Are you sure your talking about Adams and not Hartz. I know there are a lot of problems with the Hartz products, never heard of one with Adams. Heck, a lot of vets' offices carry and sell Adams.

ETA I really don't like any flea and tick products and don't use them on my own dogs. I only used the Adams after the Preventic wasn't working. Once I got rid of the problem I don't continue to use on a regular basis and don't have a flea problem. The odd flea they get here and there is not worth all the chemicals.

YES, mostly ALL vets carry Adams! That is where I first found it ... at my former vet/employer's in Florida. It has been around a long time, and we love it! HARTZ and some of the others out there ARE AWFUL and DANGEROUS, though!

Guest d0ggiem0mma

I didn't say DON'T use the Adams spray. Just be very careful with it. The active ingredient is Pyrethrin which isn't as dangerous as some of the nastier pesticides out there (like Tetrachlorvinphos) but it can still cause skin reactions, muscle tremors, etc.