A Quick Switch In Dog Foods

macoduck

A friend made a switch in dog food going from NutroMax Lamb to blue Buffalo Salmon & Rice. A transition wasn't made with the two foods and the dogs now have some diarrhea.

How long will it take for them to get back to normal poop?

I have suggested getting a small bag of the former food and still trying to do a transition. The owner has also added some rice to the new food.

Would it be OK to give say a 1/2 tablet of Immodium once or twice a day?

The dogs are eating and drinking well.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I never switch dog kibble "slowly" and never have. And I've had dogs for years and years. I've had some looseness happen and pudding poops (not necessarily related to kibble changes), so not sure if your "D" is explosive and frequent or just messy and unpleasant. I would serve up some rice, as your friend is doing. Whenever "looseness" happens, I cook up some rice and give about a 1/2 cup serving right away and then another 1/2 cup with dinner. I can't remember ever having to repeat the rice thing on the 2nd day. Bananas are also good for loose poops if you dog will eat a chunk.

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Guest KennelMom

What Summer said.

Well, except I have tried to slow switch dogs and ended up with loose poop anyway, plus the hassle of blending foods. We cold switch them here.

Guest mcsheltie

Blue is notorious for causing loose stools, so firming up could take a while.

I would fast them for a day. Give them some probiotics (not yogurt) You could try rice like Summer suggested for the first meals after the fast or start back with a couple very small meals of Blue. Just enough to get something in their stomachs so you don't get bile vomit. Slowly increase the Blue to a normal amount.

I am not a fan of Imodium. There are a few instances where slowing down gut motility is a good thing. But I want a vet to suggest that. Even food change diarrhea can result in a bacteria overgrowth. So I want to keep things moving.

The only reason I sometimes mix and switch slowly (over 4-5 days) is to see if the new food will make things better or worse. I've never had a food produce better poop results with time, only worse ones. I would ditch the Blue and try something else.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest embarkguru

Thank you all for the advice. I'm inclined to ditch Blue. A friend of mine (non-grey variety) told me that its was a good quality food. I think that I will stick with their old food. At this rate, I'm going to have keep walking around with my garden spade just to clean up the poop!

The only reason I sometimes mix and switch slowly (over 4-5 days) is to see if the new food will make things better or worse. I've never had a food produce better poop results with time, only worse ones. I would ditch the Blue and try something else.

I was in PetSmart today, buying some kibble. Much to my interest, the clerk in the aisle (who was also a vet tech) said that the closer you are to the front of the store, the better the kibble. Interesting. I went to see where the Blue Buffalo was and it was NOT in the front aisles like you would expect! BTW, Summer won't even eat Blue, she'd rather starve.

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Guest AliceMyPrincess

Try Solid Gold wolf king Bison flavor. I switched to that after Wellness kept giving my girl loose poops. Solid Gold has less fat and more fiber so that may have made the difference.

Guest sirsmom

If I could afford to, I would buy Fromm. Right now I can buy a small bag of the pork& applesauce which the dogs adore and mix about 1/4 C in to their usual food. Quality ingredients but only sold in boutique pet stores, certain dog grooming places or specialty grocery stores.

I was in PetSmart today, buying some kibble. Much to my interest, the clerk in the aisle (who was also a vet tech) said that the closer you are to the front of the store, the better the kibble. Interesting. I went to see where the Blue Buffalo was and it was NOT in the front aisles like you would expect! BTW, Summer won't even eat Blue, she'd rather starve.

ha ha - I'm not generally a fan of foods that can be bought at PetSmart, but my theory of finding the best possible food they have is to locate the Beneful, stand with your back touching it, and then pick the food at the furthest point from where you are standing! :lol

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties