Newbie Question Regarding Kennel Coat

Hi everyone-

We got our four-year-old Bernie boy back in October. He had nice, soft fur when we adopted him. He also had a lot of spotting/ticking in his white areas. Within just the past month, he now has a bald butt and a bald belly. Even the fur on the outside of his back thighs, and on the front of his shoulders/below his neck is also bald. The spots are also gone. ???

This fur has disappeared so quickly. Even at Christmas time, he had nice, thick fur.

I do pour in a pinch of cod liver oil in his food, twice a day.

* Is this a concern?

* And, will his thicker fur ever come back?

Thanks!

Lauren the Human, along with Justin the Human, Kay the Cat and Bernie the Greyhound! (Registered Barney Koppe, 10/30/2006)

Bernie-signature-400.jpg

Not a concern at all. Most hounds will lose their kennel coat. Some grow it back and some remain bald for quite a while. My big black boys still have bald thighs and they're 10 now. Some of mine grew hair back and some didn't.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Might come back, might not. Blowing kennel coat + longer days starting (spring shed) = could be dog with thin hair and some baldness until late fall.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest mcsheltie

As you have already read, the coat blow isn't anything to be concerned with. They can get pretty bald when a track coat blow is timed with a seasonal blow.

BUT!!!!!...Don't give cod liver oil!!!! It is very high in Vitamin A & D. Kibble is already over supplemented. Daily use of CLO will result in toxicity. For Omega 3 use fish or salmon oil.

That does seem like a lot of hair loss early in the shed season. Hmmm. A lot of folks here have had amazing results regrowing hair supplementing with melatonin.

For what the half-sib link is worth, Beth got a lot less hairy the summer after I brought her home (around Labor Day) -- her coat got somewhat thinner and smoother after we started on TOTW, though that may be a timing coincidence -- and her belly gets fairly bald in the summer, but she's never had thigh baldness, and has a pretty thick coat as greys go, except for her belly.

Never heard of losing spots either -- Beth has gotten spottier and spottier, as is common with ticked dogs as they age. Is it all over, or just where he's lost hair?

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Guest d0ggiem0mma

My Maggie is suddenly getting the nekkid thighs and belly too, and she's a pretty furry hound. I think it's just the crazy weather.

NO COD LIVER OIL THOUGH!!!!!!!! Use a fish body oil like salmon oil if you want to suppliment omega 3 for skin & coat.

Sounds totally normal to me!

My dog didn't have a "kennel coat" at all. He actually has fur in places he didn't when I got him (he was at the track for three years).

I use Grizzly salmon oil, which really helps with skin/coat.

Naked spots are just part of being a houndie!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Normal. Melatonin is awesome for coat growth. 10 mg a day.

We also use Vit. E, a fish oil and a flexseed/borage/fish oil supplement. All our dogs have great coats.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

When Brooke blew her kennel coat I was very concerned because she lost so much fur including her whole neck in the middle of winter last year. But it eventually filled in without the use of supplementation.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross