Anybody Know

Guest tysmom

I'm due to adopt a new dog into my back today from the spca.

Buck my 7 year old grey killed a possum in the yard last night and recieved a small

cut under his left eye.

He's going to get his yearly distemper today.. will the vet be able to give the vaccine if he puts him on abts?

My adoption of this dog is only held till end of bussiness today

does anybody know?

deb

I don't know that there is any specific reason the vaccine & antibiotics would effect the function of the other. I would skip the distemper vaccination at least until his treatment is complete. Both require some effort from the immune system so I see no reason to add anything unnecessary like an annual vaccination that can wait awhile.

Now personally if he received it last year I would skip it completely but you must make that decision for yourself. My vet has had my dogs on a 3 year rotation cycle for their core vaccinations for the last 12 years. This protocol has been accepted by many vets & even some large vet schools for quite a few years. The 2010 document from World Small Animal Veterinary Association's Vaccination Guidelines Group also seems to bear this out. Here is a link to the PDF Guidelines for the Vaccination of Dogs and Cats from WSAVA VGG On page 11 is a chart of their guidelines. For distemper the revaccination recommendation states, "Revaccination (booster) at 1 year, then not more often than every 3 years." In context with the rest of the chart that 1 year is 1 year after the initial series of shots is given.

Many people do titer tests annually in lieu of vaccination. We have done that in the past as part of the 3 year rotation but with more evidence on length of immunity I have dropped that except for older dogs for whom I have ceased all but rabies vaccination.

I appreciate it. the reason i ask is because my hound killed a possum last night in the yard.

he recieved a scratch under his eye that is swollen today and needs vet attention.

he has got to get his distemper today I only have till close of bussiness to adopt a dog from the shelter.

Im praying one does interferre with the other.

deb

Yes, he can get the vaccine and antibiotics at the same time. The vaccine works to improve immunity to a virus. The antibiotic works to kill any bacteria that might be floating around. Two totally different things.

If he had an infection, had a serious laceration that needed surgery, etc., I'd wait on the vaccine. But in this case -- small cut, prophylactic antibiotics -- no need.

As kudzu notes, tho, if he has a solid prior vaccine record, I'd go every 3 years.

Edited by Batmom

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Swifthounds

Why would Buck need his distemper today? Is the shelter demanding it?

Vaccines are labeled to specifically say that dogs should not be vaccinated when ill. If he's got signs of infection that's an illness. Anyone requiring vaccinations should know this. If it's just a bit of redness associated witht he body's natural healing process, you can opt for topical antibiotics instead.

The info above re: the not more frequently than every three years is correct and very good advice. Around here the major vet hospitals have been recommending that protocol since sometime in 1996/1997.

Edited by Swifthounds

I appreciate it. the reason i ask is because my hound killed a possum last night in the yard.

he recieved a scratch under his eye that is swollen today and needs vet attention.

he has got to get his distemper today I only have till close of bussiness to adopt a dog from the shelter.

Im praying one does interferre with the other.

deb

Deb,

I'm sorry but I do not understand why he has to have his distemper vaccination if he had one last year. Am assuming it has something to do with having his vaccinations up to date to satisfy the shelter you are getting the new dog from. All the shelters & groups I have dealt with, and there have been dozens, accept the 3 year protocol. If so, you may want to call the this morning to verify to see if they really require that. Perhaps it is for some reason I am being dense about. Maybe shelters in your area are different or there is some other extenuating circumstance?

Either way, a check with your vet will help verify the issue of getting vaccine & antibiotic treatment for the wounds. Seems like the concensus from us non-vets here is he should be OK even if you go with the vaccine. Hope his eye heals quickly. Eye injuries are scary things but we've had several around here that resolves rapidly.

Im going to go stand in the vet office at 9am. Jen i tried the three year things with the shelter

they require annnual. I have no choice.

Maybe the vet will think he just needs to be topically treated then yea.

Ive been jumping through hoops for this shelter all week

he's the perfect dog for me they said if hemade it through yesterday he's mine pending the doggy meet

which i cant do until they get the distemper today. Ive been baby sitting himall weekend to keep him out of sight of other potential adopters..lol

I will get this dog today, You know my temperment Jen

then this.... oh geez its just a little cut I saw it well last night. cleaned it, aby ointment soap and water this morning but it s a little swollen.

so i think the vets should look before the shot just in case.

The vaccine and the antibiotic address completely different things in the body. Unless the dog is systemically ill / debilitated, there's no medical reason to delay the vaccine.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Swifthounds

I have to say it's not the first time I've heard of a shelter/rescue/group having arbitrary rules and little knowledge of animal health. They do seem to excel at guilt trips and emotional bribery, though. What would they do if your vet wrote a note that Buck shouldn't have his vx right now?

I can't give you great advice on how to deal with people on a power trip who don't really have much dog/cat expertise. One group I met wouldn't adopt to people who had an intact pet (regardless of why it was intact) and the one that took the cake had to be the group that refused an adoption because the person had a 11 year old dog that she bought from a well-respected breeder. :rolleyes:

I had one group ask me to foster and then demand that I vaccinate all of my own dogs for distemper because they hadn't had it in the last year. I took them the local vet hospital recs, Dr. Schultz's work, and industry guidelines that recommended the protocol I've been using since the mid 90s. They asked me, at a meet & greet, if I wanted to get the vaccines at their vet who would give me a multiple pet discount on the exam fees. I had to repeat several times, in public that I would not endanger my pets' health & welfare for the privilege of doing them a favor. They still didn't get it.

I think the only thing that surprises me anymore is that these shelters stick to irrational policies despite the fact that adoptions are at a near standstill, surrenders are high, and euthanasia of adoptable pets is through the roof. Good luck. If they don't think you're a good home because of something that trivial, they aren't paying attention.

Not to confuse the issue, you may want to discuss with your vet if your dog needs a rabbies booster as he got scratched/bitten by a wild animal which could possibly have rabbies ...

My understanding is that possums, a marsupial, do not carry rabies. That's good advice for something like a raccoon though.

Do opossums get rabies? I didn't think they did.

Oops, just looked it up and they can, but it's EXTREMELY RARE...I'm not shouting, they put it in caps. :)

RIP little possum. :f_yellow

Hope your grey's cut heals quickly and all goes well with the shelter. :clover

Kim, (Herman), Pixie (NK Mary Ann), Kitten, Sammie, Darcy and Scout

Callie (Callie Walker), Ava (Lass Dance), July, Peanut, Kodi, Bailey, Kony, PJ, Scampie, Carlo & Casey waiting for us at the bridge

I have to say it's not the first time I've heard of a shelter/rescue/group having arbitrary rules and little knowledge of animal health. They do seem to excel at guilt trips and emotional bribery, though. What would they do if your vet wrote a note that Buck shouldn't have his vx right now?

I can't give you great advice on how to deal with people on a power trip who don't really have much dog/cat expertise. One group I met wouldn't adopt to people who had an intact pet (regardless of why it was intact) and the one that took the cake had to be the group that refused an adoption because the person had a 11 year old dog that she bought from a well-respected breeder. :rolleyes:

I had one group ask me to foster and then demand that I vaccinate all of my own dogs for distemper because they hadn't had it in the last year. I took them the local vet hospital recs, Dr. Schultz's work, and industry guidelines that recommended the protocol I've been using since the mid 90s. They asked me, at a meet & greet, if I wanted to get the vaccines at their vet who would give me a multiple pet discount on the exam fees. I had to repeat several times, in public that I would not endanger my pets' health & welfare for the privilege of doing them a favor. They still didn't get it.

I think the only thing that surprises me anymore is that these shelters stick to irrational policies despite the fact that adoptions are at a near standstill, surrenders are high, and euthanasia of adoptable pets is through the roof. Good luck. If they don't think you're a good home because of something that trivial, they aren't paying attention.

Very well said. They really have a high opinion of themselves since they think they know more than the vet schools, the AAHA, and the World Small Animal organization as well.

I know your right Jen and everone else I might add.

If This dog wasnt perfect for my pack I would have told them to pound sand.

I was standing at the v et doot at 9am pleaded my case and they took me right in.

Both dogs are still in the first year of a three year rabies so that's no issue.

They we're the slightest bit worried about the cut. clean it, watch it, abt ointment as usual.

I freaked ( my default reaction) because it was a wild animal. Its been hanging around here

fora few days. My son even saw it out in daylight hours and called animal control. he got a good look at it and said

it probably feel asleep in some ones trash can looking for food and was going back home.

The stupid thing was playing possum because we threw it over the fence ofter watching it , poking it, it looked dead as a door nail;.

Gone this morninig.

deb

PS they told me the only state required vaccinne is rabies

Edited by tysmom

Really don't understand what folks are getting so exercised about.

The shelter may require the vaccine because they have a lot of distemper, as shelters often do.

Guest Swifthounds

If the vaccine is given today it affords no protection whatsoever to either the vaccinated animal or the shelter animals. Makes the shelter's argument null and void if their concern is the transmission of distemper. About the only thing it does as of today is increase the opportunity of a vaccine reaction.

If the vaccine is given today it affords no protection whatsoever to either the vaccinated animal or the shelter animals.

Actually, it does. Booster response is very rapid unless the dog never responded to prior vaccine(s).

The reason I don't understand why the hullabaloo is, it's evidently a shelter rule -- either an ongoing standard, or perhaps in response to recent outbreaks. It's a vaccine that isn't known for bad reactions, for an often fatal disease, being given on an acceptable if no longer preferred schedule to a dog with no history of vaccine reactions. If OP doesn't want to give it, she or her vet can ask the shelter to waive the rule for her particular case. Their prerogative to waive it or not.

Biologically, the vaccine for a virus and prophylactic antibiotics for a small cut aren't going to have any effect on each other.

IIRC, a couple of the Fort Worth dogs died of distemper. One would have to check which dogs died, but some of the FW dogs had a public history and would have to have been vaccinated more than once.

Edited by Batmom

Guest Swifthounds

The FW dogs were Likely never titered after vaccination, so, like most pet owners out there whoever was vaccinating them never knew whether or not they were non-responders to the vaccine or even non-responders to a particular formulation of the vaccine.

I didn't see anyone voicing a concern about interactions with antibiotics, though I did suggest that topical would most likely be efficient and avoid unnecessary side effects from oral medications.

The term "booster" is a misnomer in and of itself. In a dog with memory cells, a "booster" vaccine, exposure to recently vaccinated dogs shedding, and exposure to the virus cause the same antibody response. It does occur faster than memory cell production, but it's not rapid.

There are also considerations specific to Buck and his personality quirks, which certainly don't benefit from overvaccination.

I didn't see anyone voicing a concern about interactions with antibiotics,

OP's original question was about interaction, not about whether to vaccinate or not. As far as we know, she hasn't titered her dog, either.

In a dog with memory cells, a "booster" vaccine, exposure to recently vaccinated dogs shedding, and exposure to the virus cause the same antibody response. It does occur faster than memory cell production, but it's not rapid.

All those situations are examples of secondary or memory response, which is very rapid. It's the primary response that's too slow to protect from most diseases, which is why we vaccinate.