Gingival Hyperplasia...

Guest greytkidsmom

Fingers crossed that the path report turns out good despite all expectations. Hugs to you and your boy.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Glad the procedure went well & hope he can come home soon. He is absolutely gorgeous. wub.gif

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Guest greytkidsmom

Well we are home and he is wearing the "cone of shame." He has been drinking water and has gone to the backyard twice to pee. He is on the couch asleep right now.

We were told that he was "pooping blood" while he was there - probably stress colitis. They said it should get better once he is home. He is on pepcid and we have carafate on hand if we need it. In any case, I would rather have him here and see our local vet than have to go back and deal with that resident. She was in and out of the room this morning in about 30 seconds.

Poor baby. So glad he's home, and eating and drinking. Hope you don't see any blood his poop. Is the cone to keep him from pawing at his mouth? What is he able to eat?

Sounds like the resident needs to work on her dogbed-side manner. But the important things are that he's home and that you're doing all you can for him. Give him extra ear scritches from us.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Guest greytkidsmom

Yes, the cone is to keep him from pawing at his mouth. He doesn't have to wear it if we are around to supervise. Poor thing can't make it up the stairs with it on - he keeps clunking the bottom of it and can't figure out that if he just lifts his head it will move out of the way.

They say we can feed whatever he normally eats as long as it is soaked until it is soft. All of our dogs eat kibble that is about the size of lima beans mixed in with water and nupro powder. Because I think that is a little risky for a dog who has a flap sewn to the roof of his mouth that is expected to heal we got him a small-breed kibble that is nutritionally equivalent to what we feed now but the kibble pieces are about the size of lentils. We will mix this with the nupro and water until it makes a slurry that he can just lap up. He will have to eat this way for 3-4 weeks. He hasn't had any problems with this method in the past when he has had dental extractions.

Yes, the resident could use some work on her bedside manner. That is one of the nuances you are expected to pick up during your training. As we all know from personal experiences, some doctors get it and some doctors don't. The doctors that don't get it are usually smart enough to hire PAs (insert plug for my profession here). Anyway, it is hard to treat patients or to interact with clients who work in your field - it is human nature to feel threatened or second-guessed. My intent was never to threaten but to understand what the heck she was planning to do to my dog. When she didn't answer with confidence, I asked to speak with someone that could. Hopefully she took that as a learning point from the experience and can apply that to future patients. From our cursory interaction with her today, I fear she may not have taken the lesson to heart yet.

I can't begin to say how much I appreciate everyone's kind words and well-wishes. It is nice to have a community that recognizes how much these dogs are integrated into our families. We don't have children - these furkids are all we have.

Guest greytkidsmom

Kebo is doing great!

Every once in a while he has to wear the "cone of shame" when he starts pawing at his muzzle but for the most part he has reclaimed his spot on the couch. He is eating, drinking, and pooping well (no more blood). The swelling is better every day. We see our regular vet for followup on Thursday for her to check how he is healing. Not sure when pathology will be back but will let all know when it is.

Here is a picture of him and a couple of drawings of the procedure he had (sorry but I couldn't post the photos for some reason - you should be able to copy and paste the links).

Not loving the "cone of shame"

http://greyandwhitephoto.zenfolio.com/img/s3/v24/p771897527-4.jpg

Snaggletooth

http://greyandwhitephoto.zenfolio.com/img/s3/v26/p918625109-4.jpg

He had the "unilateral rostral" partial maxillectomy

http://greyandwhitephoto.zenfolio.com/img/s1/v21/p717376359-3.jpg

Step 1

http://greyandwhitephoto.zenfolio.com/img/s3/v23/p966053308.jpg

Step 2

http://greyandwhitephoto.zenfolio.com/img/s3/v23/p993696512.jpg

Step 3

http://greyandwhitephoto.zenfolio.com/img/s1/v19/p691463272.jpg

That's wonderful news that he's doing so well. yay.gifI think he looks great too & still very handsome. wub.gif

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis