Bully Sticks

Guest amour

Never used bully sticks before. Bought some yesterday (12inch long). Do I give it to him and let him work on it or do I give it and take away after a certain time? How many times a week should he have one?

Thanks

Guest Sweetreba

My female is the only one who likes them and I give her one occassionally, usually if she is bugging me and is bored and won't settle down. I watch and if she gets it down to a small size I am not comfortable with I take it away. The other day I gave her one and it was gone without any problems. I do it maybe, every week or couple weeks for her teeth and because she is bored with our winter and keeps following me and not leaving me alone. I like the long ones like you have. I could do a couple a week but I usually just buy one or two when I go to the store. My boy doesn't like anything hard to chew on and is lazy so he sleeps a lot. I wish he would chew for his teeth because his I have to keep after more.

Edited by Sweetreba

Guest PiagetsMom

I give them maybe a couple of times a week. Piaget will very rarely finish one (they tire her out), but Mirage will usually finish a 12" in an evening's chewing. I do try to take it before it gets too small, but sometimes he's a little quicker than I anticipate and fortunately he's not had a problem finishing it off - he's never tried to swallow it without chewing to the last chew. The only reason I don't give them more often is that Mirage's sensitive stomach couldn't handle it, and they're a little pricey. But, they're a great treat and my pups really enjoy them :)

Guest JollyRoger

Pax loves them but they are pricey so I get a few when I can afford them. Any more I like to save up and splurge on the really big ones, 2-3ft. They last Pax for days and it's the funniest thing to give them to her. Her eyes get huge and she starts shaking. You give it to her and it takes her a few minuets to figure out how to get the whole thing into the living room to her bed. The last time I got her one of the huge Merrick sticks she finally figured out she had to drop it and drag it in long way to get it past the walls in the walk way from the kitchen! :lol

Guest Sunset123

I buy 12" jumbo bullies and give one a week. Usually Arrisa eats it in one go. I used to take the ends away from her, but the ones that I give her are so thick that she really needs to chew the whole thing up before swallowing it. If I gave her thinner bullysticks I'd take the end away. My one rule is that she's never allowed to have one without supervision. I take it away if we leave the house. Ours look like this:

IMG_0606.JPG

Guest avadogner

It's interesting to find this thread because we never gave out 11 year old Ava any bully sticks because I thought they were in the rawhide family and I worried about the safety. Silly me, I became reinvolved with GT when we decided to chip. My new boy is so very different than Ava so I picked up a few of the 8 in thin sticks since he tends to get bored with our laid back lifestyle and the weather hasn't been walk friendly. I gave then each one and stayed close by just in case they got defensive. No issues because my old girl Ava would rather sleep and my boy Augie is ultra sub to her. She just gives him the "stink eye" and he abandons whatever he is interested with. Anyway I would give him a stick and within an hour totally gone! I thought he was hiding them to keep them from Ava. I hunted all over the house and yard worried that it could start a problem or lure more animals in our yard. We have a racoon and possum problem here. I never found any of them and the next time I bought the 12 in stick. I kept an eye on him and low and behold he ate the entire 12 stick in 70 minutes. I guess I know why he came to us with two broken canines, great teeth for a 4yr old racer and kept eating our books and coffee table. Does anyone know a good place to order the big ones at a fair price with fair shipping? A company that helps greys too would be great!

Thanks!

It's interesting to find this thread because we never gave out 11 year old Ava any bully sticks because I thought they were in the rawhide family and I worried about the safety. Silly me, I became reinvolved with GT when we decided to chip. My new boy is so very different than Ava so I picked up a few of the 8 in thin sticks since he tends to get bored with our laid back lifestyle and the weather hasn't been walk friendly. I gave then each one and stayed close by just in case they got defensive. No issues because my old girl Ava would rather sleep and my boy Augie is ultra sub to her. She just gives him the "stink eye" and he abandons whatever he is interested with. Anyway I would give him a stick and within an hour totally gone! I thought he was hiding them to keep them from Ava. I hunted all over the house and yard worried that it could start a problem or lure more animals in our yard. We have a racoon and possum problem here. I never found any of them and the next time I bought the 12 in stick. I kept an eye on him and low and behold he ate the entire 12 stick in 70 minutes. I guess I know why he came to us with two broken canines, great teeth for a 4yr old racer and kept eating our books and coffee table. Does anyone know a good place to order the big ones at a fair price with fair shipping? A company that helps greys too would be great!

Thanks!

A Dog's Dream is owned by GT'er Lori. aka BooMooandDoo.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

I get mine here, I try to get the 12 inch Jumbos, but they don't always have them in stock. At $2.99 they're a bargain and my hounds LOVE them, they're so thick I don't worry when the get down to the ends. Try the lamb lung while you're shopping, so much more reasonable than the Baa Baa Q brand. http://www.bestbullysticks.com/

gallery_13728_3197_7131.jpg

Charla, Mom to Carl ( Bella Monsoon ) 5/2002 - 9/2016 and remembering Gracie Rose ( Cee Bar Xtreme ) 2/2002 - 1/2014

I get mine here, I try to get the 12 inch Jumbos, but they don't always have them in stock. At $2.99 they're a bargain and my hounds LOVE them, they're so thick I don't worry when the get down to the ends. Try the lamb lung while you're shopping, so much more reasonable than the Baa Baa Q brand. http://www.bestbullysticks.com/

I bought the odor free bullysticks from this site---my pups love them and they really are odor free (which is a huge plus IMO :P )

Guest katethegreyt

I bought the odor free bullysticks from this site---my pups love them and they really are odor free (which is a huge plus IMO :P )

It's funny, I was all prepared for awful smelling things when I ordered bully sticks plus some assorted yummies from the above website, but I figured I'd suck it up for the benefits to the dog... I suppose they stink when they're all in a pack together (I put them in an airtight storage container and then in the freezer for the ones that aren't going to be used for a bit), and when you take out just one, it smells a bit, but after the dog has gotten to it, I find they really aren't noticeable unless you stick your nose right up to them.

I guess I'm just not as sensitive to smells as some people - probably because I grew up in a barn = )

Guest Sunset123

It's funny, I was all prepared for awful smelling things when I ordered bully sticks plus some assorted yummies from the above website, but I figured I'd suck it up for the benefits to the dog... I suppose they stink when they're all in a pack together (I put them in an airtight storage container and then in the freezer for the ones that aren't going to be used for a bit), and when you take out just one, it smells a bit, but after the dog has gotten to it, I find they really aren't noticeable unless you stick your nose right up to them.

I guess I'm just not as sensitive to smells as some people - probably because I grew up in a barn = )

My shipments have varied. Usually they have no smell, sometimes they smell a little funky. I just stick them right in the freezer and that stops the smell.

Guest katethegreyt

My shipments have varied. Usually they have no smell, sometimes they smell a little funky. I just stick them right in the freezer and that stops the smell.

Yeah, mine are so non-aromatic after a stint in the freezer that my girlie isn't all that interested in them at first, haha. Once she decides to start chewing though, she thinks they're as good as ever = )

Edited by katethegreyt

I'm glad to see this thread b/c I had wondered how many take away the end bits of a bully stick versus letting your dog finish it out. I take it away when it gets small, but both Gus and Oliver have fooled me and finished it in the minutes between bully stick checks. They have both been fine, but I prefer to take it away. They love them and their teeth can only benefit from the chewing. I never, ever give rawhides so I had to go out of my comfort zone with these and I'm so happy I did. I try to give one each now once a week.

Guest mcsheltie

I never take them away. They are too expensive! Seriously tho.. by the time they are down to the end they are mushy-soft. Really no problem if they swallow them whole.

Guest Shermanator

Pax loves them but they are pricey so I get a few when I can afford them. Any more I like to save up and splurge on the really big ones, 2-3ft. They last Pax for days and it's the funniest thing to give them to her. Her eyes get huge and she starts shaking. You give it to her and it takes her a few minuets to figure out how to get the whole thing into the living room to her bed. The last time I got her one of the huge Merrick sticks she finally figured out she had to drop it and drag it in long way to get it past the walls in the walk way from the kitchen! :lol

Ok, now I have to buy one of those, just to watch Echo with it. :D

I get mine at costco.

Also - odor free- does that mean the bully stick, or my pup after a good chew session. (Bully sticks = farts I never thought could come from such 2 dainty little girles!) :)

• 2 weeks later...

Oops, I wasn't aware you were supposed to take them away at the end - they're usually pretty mushed up at that point.

It's a personal decision to take then ends away, depending on your dog. Some dogs will shallow the hunk whole and some chew it to get the last bit of bully goodness out of it. I always took the end away from Dancer because I felt she swallowed too big of a hunk at the end. Our other dogs were fine with the ends.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

I just saw the Carob dipped bully sticks on the site...Zelda would be in HEAVEN if I got those...she's definitely a chocolate (or fake chocolate) lover just like her mama

greytalk signature 2020.jpg

Marble, Noah, Eden, Raya (red heeler), Cooper & Trooper (naughty kittens)

Missing my bridge angels: Pop, Zelda, Mousey & Carmel

I've never fed them but have to say that our Grey is the first dog I've ever had that doesn't seem to know what to do with a bone. LOL!!! The first time I tried to give him raw turkey necks, you could see he wanted it but didn't want to get his feet dirty holding it. I should have gotten that on video. This dog..............

I wonder if he would eat or chew on a bully stick but we think he may be starting some renal issues and I wonder if it would be a good idea to give him one. Anyone know???

He is not on BP meds and Natural Balance Fish and Sweet Potato and Pepcid.