Chamomile Tea For Anxiety?

Hi all-

Because of Bernie's anxiety, I'd like to try chamomile tea. I read online that it helps reduce stress, even in dogs.

Does anyone have experience with this and Greyhounds? Is it safe, is it effective? And how do I give it to him?...just mix some tea with his water in his water bowl?

Thanks!

Lauren the Human, along with Justin the Human, Kay the Cat and Bernie the Greyhound! (Registered Barney Koppe, 10/30/2006)

Bernie-signature-400.jpg

Hmm, I'm not sure, I've never used it. Have you tried Rescue Remedy? They're herbal drops (I got it from a local health food store), you can either add it to their water or I just put it on the palm of my hand and the dogs seem happy enough to lick it up. It did seem to have a mild calming effect I thought. Good luck!

Rescue Remedy does work on some dogs and not on others. You literally can't put enough in their water to make a difference. It takes way more on dogs than horses. In a greyhound size dog it takes two or three droppers (which is really one as that funky dropper only fills 1/3 - 1/2 way).

I am not sure if the melatonin has worked on Barkley or if he has just figured out I'm coming back -- either way he gets 1.5 mg every day when I go to work. He is 25#.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

The trainer in our Greyhound-Only obedience class suggested the melatonin and Rescue Remedy.

I guess I'm stubborn, and I've wanted to make sure that we can help Bernie overcome his anxiety (separation,) through behavior modification. I'm to the point now, though, that I'd like to see if anything else could help speed his progress. I thought I'd give tea a shot. I'm wary about the melatonin. It really does work, though?

I've heard of Rescue Remedy but I've never seen it in stores. I may just buy it off the internet.

Thanks!

Lauren the Human, along with Justin the Human, Kay the Cat and Bernie the Greyhound! (Registered Barney Koppe, 10/30/2006)

Bernie-signature-400.jpg

I have a whippet who had severe separation anxiety. (long story) Anyway, plain behavior modification did not work. I had to use medication to take the edge off and then work with him. I am happy to report that he is a completely different dog. He is no longer on medication. However, due to other issues, he periodically gets a melatonin before I leave. It just makes him sleepy and more relaxed. While that doesn't answer your question about the tea, maybe it can reassure you about dealing with the problem on more than one level. BTW, rescue remedy didn't help us.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Rescue Remedy is flower essences and brandy. Did absolutely nothing for George. I can't even imagine how much tea you'd have to get the dog to drink for it to do anything at all--and then you'd probably have a dog who had to pee! The D.A.P. diffusers seemed to have a mild calming effect on George, but the most effective thing I did was EXERCISE the heck out of him.

Don't confuse "herbal" or "natural" with harmless. While most OTC anxiety remedies seem to, at worse, to nothing, I tired Valerian Root extract on George at someone's suggestion, and his liver enzymes went through the roof.

It's no more shameful to use medication on your dog than it is to take it yourself, so if he has severe anxiety, you may have to go that way.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest Energy11

I've heard of Rescue Remedy but I've never seen it in stores. I may just buy it off the internet.

GNC carries it as do most health food stores.

You can also get canine Rescue Remedy online, and through Amazon.com :colgate

I may try the Rescue Remedy. A family friend who does shows and agility with Goldens tells me that RR works with them.

With the melatonin, I guess I can always take my own dose and see if I notice anything different with me. Then, I could try it with Bernie.

I'm just really stubborn about putting stuff into his body that will alter his mood! :unsure

Bernie-signature-400.jpg

Go ahead and try the Rescue remedy. but you can get the "kids" or "pets" version that does not contain alcohol.

If you want to do chamomile, can you do chamomile capsules instead of tea? I have done that before, and it worked. It really just takes the edge off, does not calm the dog tremendously, but it helps.

Go ahead and try the Rescue remedy. but you can get the "kids" or "pets" version that does not contain alcohol.

If you want to do chamomile, can you do chamomile capsules instead of tea? I have done that before, and it worked. It really just takes the edge off, does not calm the dog tremendously, but it helps.

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.