Back End Weakness With Age?

Guest brandi007

Guest brandi007

Hello all!

Sophie's getting wobbly in her back end and I'm wondering if there's something I can do for her? It's really gotten bad the last few weeks and I think she's uncomfortable as she won't lay in one position for long and complains a lot. I'm used to seeing her back end 'quiver' when she gets up but last week she actually stumbled and fell back down - in addition to this she had a bad jump off the couch and didn't make the jump into the back of my truck. I understand this is all part of her unfortunately getting old (she turned 11 on December 5th) but I'd like to make things easier for her, and me.

She still goes like stink at the dog park and runs around like a crazy nut and I've got her on a capsule of Glucosamine every night with her dinner ( the 500 capsules from Costco ). I'm thinking I might take her in and get some pain meds for the 'bad days' like this week, I think the shifting weather is really getting to her (from -40 to -5 in like a day...). She's also a bit chunky but not overweight. She's on 3 cups of ACANA a day and I"m kind of scared to cut her back as I've noticed that when they're old; when something goes wrong they drop weight fast and I'd rather have her a bit too heavy rather than too thin if and when this happens.

I know that a lot of people with old dogs have experience with this and am just looking for some suggestions for my beautiful Miss Chunks.

Picture294.jpg

From personal experience, I think it's important not to be too quick to categorize a problem as age-related. Even if it is, things can be done to help. I'd go to a good vet for an evaluation. If it's a pinched nerve, acupuncture/chiropractic can do wonders to keep her going. Are there any vets near you who do that?

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Guest brandi007

I am going to get her in for sure, just got nailed with like $700 in vet bills on the cat so I was hoping to do it in the beginning of February (new pay period...haha) but definitely don't want to go in blind and get taken for a ride. I find vets don't screw you so bad if you go in with some ammunition :)

I know I've seen this issue come up a few times with other greyhound owners and will be attending to it for my poor girl. Thanks so much for the insight and I hope to hear more.

http://www.greythealth.com/lumbosacral.html

I had a horrible experience with chiro with Rex for a different spinal issue and will never go there again. My vet suggested accupuncture which he said has a much better proven clinical track record, but I listened to the internet gurus and lived to regret it. In retrospect I should have gone the accupuncture route -- at least it wouldn't have hurt him.

The depro shots are highly debated but they were the only thing that worked for Rex. He went from not being able to get off the couch to bounding up and down the steps.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest brandi007

I'm not a fan of Chiro in humans or dogs - popping bones into (and potentially out of) place in such sensitive areas such as the spine scares me. I'd definitely go the acupuncture route if it was deemed necessary. That article on LS is a awesome and I'll definitely bring it in when I take Sophie into the vet - Thanks very much!

If it does end up being arthritis *which I think it is but am not 100% sure* what pain management medications would you go with?

Guest Catherine

I have my 12 1/2 year old with the same symptoms on daily Novox tabs (generic Rimadyl). They help her pain a lot. She still grunts getting up and down but isn't as painful. When I miss a few (as I had to when she went off her food for a few days)I can really see a difference. I know a lot of people don't like this drug but it is working great for us and really helping her.

Gratuitous cute picture of my old lady.

babiesk.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Also you might give her additional glucosamine - don't remember doggy daily dose but I think you could go higher than 500. Also make sure it has MSM in it- it's a synergist that makes the gluc & chondroitin work better.

You might try acupunture with her - it helped Cody's rear end issues a lot!

Jeannine with Merlin, the crazed tabby cat and his sister, Jasmine, the brat-cat

With GTsiggieFromJenn.jpgAngel Cody(Roving Gemini), and Weenie the tortie waiting at the Bridge

Gee has the same problem and she'll be 12 in a couple of months. She actually slowed down a bit so the vet gave her some Deramax for 7 days and boy the difference! His theory was some inflammation in her back and boy that must have been it because she's walking just fine now and running.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

In addition to more glucosamine (I think the greyhound loading dose is 1,500 mg/day, tapered down to 1,000 mg/day), you can add MSM, chondroitin, fish oil, vit C. All good non-drug anti-inflammatories. I tried acupuncture for my old boy & I can't say it did much good for him. He was very stressed out during it too - wouldn't lay down, panting.

I also hate these guys jumping in & out of cars - but that's a personal issue. I think it's horrible for their necks, backs & shoulders. I have a set of milk crate steps that they must use to get in & out of the car like gentlemen. tongue.gif I will say that my old boy has some back issues & stairs themselves are very difficult for him. So if you can minimize those 2 things, it would make it easier on your beautiful girl.

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

For whatever they are worth, here are my thoughts based on our experience with Sadie who had progressive hind-end weakness in her last year of life. In the end it was a race between her kidneys and her weight (likely from a cancer). In any event, when she was younger she developed a limp (in her shoulder). A friend suggested Conquer K-9 sold by Smart Pak Equine (she had used for her dog with a broken leg). We started using a half dose and saw great improvement. We kept her on that until the end and would notice a change if we forgot it for a couple of days. We later added Fresh Factors from Springtime, Inc. Not sure if they helped as much. But that was our routine. And lots of exercise. And her switching to a high protein premium kibble made her leaner and more muscular in her last years. She was more active and stronger than when younger. She looked better at 11/12 than 8/9.

Try to keep her from doing things like jumping out of your vehicle because that can make things worse. You'll need a ramp or need to carry her. I had to do this with Sadie. She may even need to have stairs limited until she improves. If she's weak she could fall and severely injure herself. Especially if you are not home. Block her access unless you can supervise. And make sure she has a non-slippery surface to relive herself if you live up North.

Anyway, I would also opt for accupuncture and avoid chiro having seen what accupunture can do for humans.

Does she ever turn her toes under? If you turn her foot under does she right it immediately? You may want to discuss lumbosacralstenosis with your vet. I believe Sadie experienced this. It began two years before she died with a shaking in her rear legs after running. Eventually she adopted a German Shepherd stance (sunken in the back end). Eventually her muscles wasted and she could not stand for long or get up on her own. She tipped her feet under but did not correct them or feel it. She lost a lot of weight (despite eating- luckily she wasn't a case of not eating from the pain). It was progressive. But as I said, she had numerous other health problems at the time.

Also discuss tick borne diseases.

Does she have a fever, change in appetite? When did this start? You'll want to have it all written down or in your head.

You should also maybe re-evaluate what vet you are using. I never have felt like we are being taken for a ride. He has always been fair. There have been times when we needed to go in frequently because of Sadie's kidney issues and we were not charged. I know other people that do feel taken for a ride and don't feel like they get great service. Why keep going? Switch. You want to trust your vet.

Your pup is gorgeous. I want to squish her little face!! Give her kisses for me and tell her I hope she feels better soon.

finalsiggy.jpg

She could have, like George, a touch of lunbar stenosis. If so, you'll need to 1) get the weight off, and 2) curtain the "going like crazy" at the dog park, and substitute regular, gentle exercises, i.e. walking.

It is very important as dogs age that they not be allowed to get too soft, as their muscles really do provide support for their bones, and that they not be allowed to get overweight. I am not suggesting your dog is fat; but you yourself called her "chunky."

It should not be considered a normal part of aging for a dog to get weak. And 11 isn't all that old!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

That article on LS is a awesome and I'll definitely bring it in when I take Sophie into the vet - Thanks very much!

If it does end up being arthritis *which I think it is but am not 100% sure* what pain management medications would you go with?

When I had a dog experiencing this I copied the article along with the diagrams and took it with me to the vet. I can't say that I really saw much difference with my dog. However I shared it with a friend who said it did wonders for her senior gal.

Greyhound Gang has lots of supplements you could look into. My friend (same one mentioned above) said she had very good results with a product called Dog Gone Pain.