Hello From Ireland

Guest DieselAmy

Guest DieselAmy

Hello from Kinsale, Ireland. We adopted our first greyhound two months ago. Emmy is really settling in here and our shepherd mix Walter is learning her language. She is quite a character and definitely doesn't speak 'dog' like any other dogs we've known! Good thing Walter is a smart boy and is adapting to Emmy's quirks. They seem to be friends now but weren't sure what to make of each other at first!

I am on a work assignment in Ireland for a year, moving back to Indiana in March. Last summer I lost my heart dog, a collie, to chronic renal failure and it has been very hard as I miss her so much. I'm hoping Emmy can help us heal; I know Walter needed a friend, maybe before I was ready but we love Emmy too. :)

We discovered Ms. Emmy has frequent urination, protein in her urine, and high creatinine... now I'm worried about facing renal disease all over again. She is only three. But we are working with the vet to diagnose what is going on and I hope it's something curable or at least manageable. I've come by the forums to learn the greyhound stuff I need to know, behavioral and medical. Even bloodwork is different! Yikes. I'm also part of a great online list for renal disease so that has helped me guide Emmy's tests. Vet care in Ireland is rather different than in the states.

Emmy was born into racing near Galway, I believe, but was dumped with other greyhounds at a rescue's gate, and those dogs later attacked her, and she was not well looked after when injured. But another rescue took her in and we chose her from the many lovely dogs there after she was fostered for a year. Ireland is big on puppy milling and greyhound racing and those things don't help dogs much... and Irish people don't seem to like having greyhounds as pets. A lot of dogs are shipped to other countries for adoption. Anyway my brother has a fabulous lurcher so I was looking at greys and lurchers for our next dog. It remains to be seen how this goes when I get home to my rabbit rescue activities! I have a big heart for homeless animals and I'm glad to be saving an Irish one this time around... even if it means hauling her back to the US!

sitonwaltcrop.jpg

Thanks in advance for the advice and help I'll be getting! Looking forward to seeing how many other greys steal food off the counters and put wallets, shoes, and other random things in their beds...

Amy

She is so cute, and Walter looks like a really good sport! Congratulations and welcome to GT. I'm sorry you're having medical issues, but I'm sure knowledgeable folks will chime in very soon with suggestions.

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Guest DieselAmy

Walter was only a good sport for about two minutes and then he gave up his spot on the couch. :) Emmy is very good at hogging it, often upside down! We are so proud of Walter for adjusting well.

Guest kelli123

:welcome2 from Michigan , :wave You will love this site, there will be someone with information to share with you about her problem and be able to point you in the right direction.

She is a cutie, And Walter is pretty darn handsome him self. Love the picture of them its so cute.

She's adorable and Walter looks to be so patient! She sound exactly like greyhounds here, they are counter surfers, will take things to their beds, will even chew things up. They are also just as sweet as can be so she sounds perfect to me.

Welcome to Greytalk!

My first greyhound was named Emmy. I just love that name.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest IrskasMom

Thank you for Rescueing Emmy and giving her a Forever Home.There are lots of passionate and experienced People here on this Forum who can give Advice .We are all here to listen and distributing Hugs and Kisses for this sweet Houndies.

:grouphug:kiss2:grouphug:kiss2:grouphug

Guest avadogner

Welcome to Greytalk from Birmingham, Alabama. You have two beautiful dogs there! I think you find Greytalk extremely helpful with learning to speak grey. There's two dialects to learn-hound behavior and grey parent lingo. Congrats on your lovely hound!

-ava and augie's mum

:welcome from Rimouski

Your're going to love it here..

Your babies are really cute :kiss2

siggy%201.jpg

Miles October 4 2002-Novembre 19 2013 Mommy loves you big boy

Tatum December 1 2004-January 23 2015 Love you Miss SiSi Bums

Rowdy October 26 2001 -November 5 2015 Miss you Bébé Lou

So happy to see you here! Lovely looking dogs you have!

When I was in Ireland in 2008 with my husband and his family, we noticed that some people didn't seem to know how to respond when we said we had greyhounds, and they seemed surprised. From what we saw in the books in the bookstores, greyhounds are somewhat misunderstood there, I think.

Such a beautiful place there. Enjoy your stay and tell us all about it!

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Welcome from Ontario. What a cute pic of your babies.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Guest DieselAmy

To everyone, thank you for the warm welcome. Emmy couldn't be bothered to get up though... she's upside down on the couch next to me with her feet up in the air in my face. I never thought I'd smell dog feet every time I sat on the couch!

@greyhead: we do think it's beautiful here. January has been very wet lately and we are right on the south coast with a gale blowing off the harbor--the dogs aren't fond of going out to potty in this kind of weather! Can't complain about the view though. And the people at work think it's odd that I rescued a greyhound, but they already thought I was a little crazy when it comes to animals anyway. Strangely enough, when we contacted the greyhound rescue in Co. Offaly, we found an American woman was running it!

@Stripeyfan: Limerick isn't far from us! Been through the county several times. I hear about greyhound race times on the radio a lot and wonder if some of the folks on the forums have indeed had dogs from right around here in those race parks.

@Zombrie: we took a boat from Doolin to the Aran Islands last summer. ROUGH crossing! Mom lost her breakfast... But that part of the country is eerie and beautiful.

Guest zombrie

@Zombrie: we took a boat from Doolin to the Aran Islands last summer. ROUGH crossing! Mom lost her breakfast... But that part of the country is eerie and beautiful.

Yup, that's what I did last summer! The Aran Islands is where I got one of my favorite photographs I have ever taken (as photography student, I was in heaven in Ireland). The boat ride over like you said, was horrendous. I had to close my eyes the whole time because 60% of the people on the boat were hanging over the side...but it was so worth it, it was gorgeous there.

Welcome, your dogs are beautiful! Lots of greyt information here :colgate

med_gallery_14228_2915_582.jpg
Roberta & Michael with Furkids- Flower (Shasta Flowers 6/7/06) & Rascal the kitty - Missing our sweet angels - Max(M's Mad Max) 10/12/02 - 12/3/15, Sara (Sara Raves 6/30/01 - 4/13/12) Queenie & Pandora the kitties - gone but never forgotten

Guest DieselAmy

A little trip today to the ocean! Garrettstown Beach on the south coast

EWgarrettstown.jpg

Emmy at an old church (Ringcurran/St. Catherine's) across from our house. She has a hand-me-down Cubs coat from her lurcher cousin Maddux

churchemmy.jpg

Is there a way to make pictures appear smaller here w/o resizing them at the source web location? (I guess it does bring them down a bit)

Edited by DieselAmy

Hi!

Welcome from Belgium!

What a pretty girl you have there!

Together with some friends we run a small belgian org, we rescue Greyhounds from Co Kerry, Ireland. Kerry Greyhound Connection.

Have fun here!

Isa

Guest Stripeyfan

@Stripeyfan: Limerick isn't far from us! Been through the county several times. I hear about greyhound race times on the radio a lot and wonder if some of the folks on the forums have indeed had dogs from right around here in those race parks.

Kelly was born in Limerick (as far as I know), but then came over to the UK and raced at Nottingham for most of his career - so one of the ones that got shipped out (and we're glad he did!). Do you know Emmy's racing name?

Love the second lot of pics and sooo jealous you live near the coast, we're totally landlocked where we are!

Guest DieselAmy

Kelly was born in Limerick (as far as I know), but then came over to the UK and raced at Nottingham for most of his career - so one of the ones that got shipped out (and we're glad he did!). Do you know Emmy's racing name?

Love the second lot of pics and sooo jealous you live near the coast, we're totally landlocked where we are!

I didn't realize they shipped dogs to race abroad too, thought it was just for rescue. Lucky he found you!

She was Coolarne Chancer. A couple of her siblings and of course her parents had a lot of racing info online but she doesn't have any races listed, so I just assumed she 'flunked out.' She was dumped by age two so must not have had an illustrious career. :)

We can see the harbor and a 17th century fort from our kitchen... it really is beautiful here. But we miss wide roads and fast food sometimes.

Great pictures of beautiful dogs! I've spent a lot of time in Galway as my closest friend lives there, and let me tell you...there is no place in the world as cold as Galway in November!! And this is coming from a Canadian :lol

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Hi from another GTer in England! :wave

I can't see Coolarne Chancer in Greyhound Data so she probably never raced at all - or they just didn't bother to put her details up there.

She's a lucky girl to find you. I know how bad things can be in Ireland for greyhounds ... the reason, I believe, is that they are classed as 'agricultural livestock' over there so people simply don't have the mindset to adopt them as pets. They are regarded as disposable. :(

One thing I'd ask your vet to do, since she's showing signs of kidney problems so young, is to x-ray her. I took on a beautiful white ex-brood (Irish, as most of our dogs are) at ten years old. She was never spayed since on her pre-anaesthetic blood work she was found to have kidney failure. Well, despite my strong feeling that it was more than that, my vet never did do that x-ray. It turned out to be kidney cancer, but by the time we insisted on a referral to a vet school, she had developed secondaries throughout her lungs and the second kidney was also going. I keep going back to the thought that if only I'd asked for the referral sooner she could probably have had the cancerous kidney removed and I would have had her for longer. :(

Another thought is that if she were in a bad situation, they might not have vaccinated her and she could have (or have had) leptospirosis. Might be worth getting that checked.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop