Mail Order Pharmacies?

Guest DoofBert

Guest DoofBert

Ok, Bacchus is on Metacamm for arthritis and responding well. One catch is that is $100 per month from our vet. (We're also doing chripractic for him, which is helping)

I found an online resource, based in CA, licensed with State of CA (I just checked) who are selling the large bottle (2 month supply) for $113. I informed my vet's office of the price difference (they charge $180 for the same size bottle) a savings of over $60..... Vet said they cannot match the price...

Bacchus needs the med;I need to save $$ as much as possible..... I am forced to use mail order prescirptions for my meds......

What is your experience with mail order prescriptions for your hounds?

Edited by DoofBert

I have always used mail order for meds for my greys. I have never had any problems with any of the companies and they are always accommodating. My vet gives me RXs because he knows that having four dogs is very costly when they are on maintainence meds.

Mom to Melly and Dani

Greyhound Bridge Angels - Jessie, Brittne, Buddy,

Red, Chica, Ford and Dodge.

I found an online resource, based in CA, licensed with State of CA (I just checked) who are selling the large bottle (2 month supply) for $113.

I'd be wary if it is a place called Vaccination Services in El Toro. I had a nice chat with an inspector from the CA Board of Pharmacy and they are under investigation -- and have been investigated and warned about violations numerous times in the past. From what she said they may not be in business much longer.

Somone on here has a vet that doesn't like human Meloxicam used on dogs but I have used it for several different dogs for years with two different vets here giving it the nod and Dr. Stack's approval. It is $4 at Wal-Mart.

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest Energy11

I have used 1800 Pet Meds and Drs. Foster and Smith Pharmacies with good results. Fosters and Smith are a bit cheaper.

Good Luck! Most vets do have pretty steep mark ups, but, they have to make a buck too :-))

Fuzzy's deramax was almost $6 a pill at Redbank and $2.37 at Fosters and Smith for a quantity order. I shopped around a bit too, and F&S was a good deal. Free shipping on all pharmacy items.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

When I spoke to my vet about a script for an online pharmacy he said he would be more than willing to write it. However he could not provide any guarantee that the meds that came from outside his office were legit. He buys his meds from a local pharmacy. I decided I would rather spend a little more and be sure I was getting the correct stuff. My vet did offer to sell me the meds I was asking about at his cost though. I've decided that my vet treats me and my pets very well, has gone above and beyond for us many times and his fees are very reasonable, so I pay his price for meds because he has to make a living somewhere.

Guest avadogner

I began using PetMedsRx.com when we adopted our second hound and have saved so much money that I can provide both hounds with all their heartworm and parasite prevention meds and flea and tick prevention for what my vet charged me for one dogs. Same meds at much lower prices. When you make purchases you aquire points that convert to money for future orders too. When you go on the site, if you try to leave a box pops up that tries to get you stay. Click on it and get 20% off your order too. It saved me $50. You have to mail your vets prescription to the main office but they are processed within a week. I believe your vet can also fax scripts too. They have Rx, NonRX meds, herbal pet meds, toys and now food. Shipping is free if you spend $50 and the coupon codes save you serious cash. I've been very happy with the service.

-ava and augie's mum

Guest DoofBert

We're new to NSAID world, our vet recommened the metacamm and did not discuss other meds... I'll definitely ask about the meloxicam!!

We have such a world of knowledge here on greytalk! THanks!

Guest FreddyGirl

For me, i800 Pet Meds based in FL. They are fast and reliable, many specials for free shipping, $5 off coupons etc. I get soloxine, eye drops, deramaxx and tramadol from them (not using all ofthem now)

Pet Meds did not carry a specific eye drop that Hilary needed- ordered from Fosters and

smith- NOT much cheaper than from vet, not carried in a regular human pharmacy- ANd it took 2 weeks AFTER they received my script. Doubt I will use them again.

Just remembered another mail order pharmacy that I found a coupon for from a weekly circular.

PetCareRX

1-866-PetCareRX or 1-866-738-2273

they did not carry Hilary's eyedrops, have NOT ordered from them.

Having said that, reap the benefits of this coupon offer:

expires 1/31/11

$10 off plus free shipping for orders over $35

Mention Code: SMART423

Discount may not apply on certain items. Free shipping if in the continental USA only, does not apply to refrigerated items.

they also have a website:

www.PetCareRx.com

Good luck

Edited by FreddyGirl

Guest isntitgreyt

I just ordered a year supply of heartworm preventative from National Pet Pharmacy and I saved over $20 a box for three of my dogs. My vet could not match the price either. I also got 10% off and free shipping at check out. I will be ordering a year supply for the other three soon. I also noticed that the flagyl is cheaper. I may get a script for that just to have on hand. I have to save money anywhere I can and am very pleased with National Pet Pharmacy.

We're new to NSAID world, our vet recommened the metacamm and did not discuss other meds... I'll definitely ask about the meloxicam!!

We have such a world of knowledge here on greytalk! THanks!

Metacam is the animal use brand name for Meloxicam. It is the same drug, just different dosing (pill vs. liquid).

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg