Digestive Enzymes

Guest Duke

100% YAY from us - worked on both dogs while they were on kibble - eliminated gas completely and when we ran out, the horrible gas cam back within 24 hours. We ended up switching to raw feeding which eliminated all issues and negated the requirement for enzyme supplementation.

Doe's Bruciebaby Doe's Bumper

Derek

Follow my Ironman journeys and life with dogs, cats and busy kids: A long road

I use enzymes, though I really can't say what difference they make. I started when Beth had loose poop after I got her before I found the right kibble for her (TOTW). I have continued because the health benefits seem worthwhile (improving nutrient absorption, lessening the risk of bloat, etc.). Sometimes I think of taking her off them for a while to see if it makes a difference, but I never do. All I can say is that she almost never has gas, despite having a pretty sensitive digestive system.

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Guest Bang_o_rama

Enzymes are proteins with extremely complex 3D structures. Cells make them from amino acids. Proteins are digested in the stomach to liberate the amino acids, which are then assembled by the cells into necessary enzymes. I really do not see how oral dosing of enzymes can do much of anything unless they are made like enteric aspirins to get past the stomach acid undestroyed, and even then I am dubious; there is still a lot of digestive stuff in the intestines to kill them off. Sort of like eating liver in hopes of growing a new liver.

~D~

Enzymes are proteins with extremely complex 3D structures. Cells make them from amino acids. Proteins are digested in the stomach to liberate the amino acids, which are then assembled by the cells into necessary enzymes. I really do not see how oral dosing of enzymes can do much of anything unless they are made like enteric aspirins to get past the stomach acid undestroyed, and even then I am dubious; there is still a lot of digestive stuff in the intestines to kill them off. Sort of like eating liver in hopes of growing a new liver.

~D~

so you are saying yay?

jk- thanks for the info

Bang-O-Rama is saying nay, don't bother.

My understanding (which the more scientifically astute can correct) is that unlike humans, who manufacture all their enzymes, dogs eating raw as they would be in nature get some of their enzymes in their food, which is how their systems are supposed to work. Presumably the stomach acids don't destroy the enzymes before they do whatever they're supposed to do. Dogs eating kibble don't get that, so their pancreas has to work harder than it would otherwise.

For that matter, however, many people have also benefited from taking digestive enzymes if they're having problems.

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Guest mcsheltie

Healthy dogs have no need for added enzymes. You are essentially flushing your money. Dogs with pancreatic insufficiency are a different story and can benefit greatly from adding enzymes.

Enzymes are either pork or plant based. Unless your dog has an intolerance to pork, they will get more benefit from these.

ETA: What you want to give your dog to help with diarrhea are probiotics.

Edited by mcsheltie

I take enzymes! From what I read, yes humans make all their own enzymes, but as they age, they make less - leading to all sorts of digestive changes. Since I have IBS, I have added enzymes to my diet at night, before and after dinner. I can tell the difference when I miss a dose. I have often wondered about greyhounds, since they seem to have such sensitive stomachs.

Mom to Toley (Astascocita Toley) DOB 1/12/09, and Bridge Angel Opie (Wine Sips Away) 3/14/03-12/29/12

T needs them - his pancreas doesn't make them. Without them, he doesn't digest his food so well and gets sick.

Cody was the same way... she had pancreatitis twice! Had her on the enzymes for years & it did help.

Jeannine with Merlin, the crazed tabby cat and his sister, Jasmine, the brat-cat

With GTsiggieFromJenn.jpgAngel Cody(Roving Gemini), and Weenie the tortie waiting at the Bridge

Guest Stripeyfan

It depends on why he had the dire-rear - Kelly was prescribed Tryplase capsules to help with his IBD, but I'm not convinced they made any difference and they're also very expensive, so we're weaning him off them now. However if there's any pancreas problems they might be a good idea.

They may not be right in all or even many cases, but in one of my fosters they were a miracle!

Romeo had pudding poop to bad diarrhea no matter what he ate, it seemed (I couldn’t try raw, per group’s foster rules). Even on plain rice/turkey, he still had problems. I had tried limited ingredient diets, diets geared toward dogs with unusual food allergies, etc., nothing really helped.

The pet food store I go to suggested digestive enzymes and gave me a small sample. I tried half the recommended amount in one meal, and the next time out, he had firm poop!!! It really seemed too good to be true. However, I continued to use the enzymes and he never had loose stool again. This was a longer-term foster of 5 ½ months, so I had time to know that this really did do the trick.

So, my advice would be – try it, especially if you have a pet food boutique that is willing to give samples! Maybe it won’t do anything, but it could be just the ticket. (I used DigestAll, in case you’re wondering).

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

• 1 month later...

probiotics and digestive enzymes work well for my guys.

:nod I take them and so do my dogs. They've made a tremendous difference for all of us.

Here's a brief article on the benefits supplemental enzymes if anyone's interested:

Enzymes for Dogs

Edited by galgrey

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Guest LindsaySF
My understanding (which the more scientifically astute can correct) is that unlike humans, who manufacture all their enzymes, dogs eating raw as they would be in nature get some of their enzymes in their food, which is how their systems are supposed to work. Presumably the stomach acids don't destroy the enzymes before they do whatever they're supposed to do. Dogs eating kibble don't get that, so their pancreas has to work harder than it would otherwise.

That's a myth perpetuated by some raw-feeding communities/websites. Unless a dog has a medical condition (i.e. pancreatic insufficiency), they are manufacturing their own enzymes, they do not need any in their food.

FYI, enzymes are proteins, and stomach acids denature proteins. If there were important enzymes in the raw food (enzymes that are often claimed to be "destroyed by cooking"), the stomach acids would break them down anyway.

~Lindsay~

Have always put our Greys on a premium kibble, plus wee bits of people food i.e. chicken, turkey beef like a Tbs worth, just to interest them.

They have never had a need for any additives. They look healthy and have good bowel movements.