Teaching Your Dog To Get On The Furniture

So I heard that Kamsmom lifted Steak onto her bed and after doing so, couldn't keep him out of it so I figured what the heck, I'll just give it a try. I was hesitant initially because Zuri gets so freaked if he thinks he's being forced, but there was a day where I wanted to get back into bed and watch a movie and I figured it would be a good time to try it out. And as you may recall, my mattress is on the freaking floor so it's only a foot off the ground. :P So I lifted him up, front paws first, then back. He resisted the entire process but once on the bed it took him about 2 seconds to plop down and curl up. :lol

After watching the movie, I got out of bed and he followed. Hours later I realize he's not in the living room with me. I walk into the bedroom to find this:

P1000757.jpg

Fast forward to 2 nights ago. Zuri has taken to the bed like a fish to water, even sleeping with me a few nights so I am ready to try the couch. Was more skeptical about this b/c the couch is more awkward and higher up. Up went the front legs, then the back. He resisted more, I had to sort of brace myself against him so he couldn't drop his front paws down while I went for the back ones. :rolleyes: He stands on the couch for about maybe 5 seconds this time, then plops down. Moments later:

P1000773.jpg

And this morning:

P1000778.jpg

:rofl What a ridiculous dog. :lol

So the answer in the end was so simple, just put 'em up there and brace yourself to regret it when you then can't get them off. :lol

Just for fun, Zuri says "Momma, take a pic cause this is the last time you'll be seeing me here on this ratty old dog bed!":

P1000745.jpg

Edited by NeylasMom

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

:)

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Oh lord he's sweet. I tried the lifting with Jonah. He was horrified! I have never seen a greyhound spread his 4 legs so far apart and backpedal so hard in my life. lol.gif Congrats with Zuri.

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

Good, brave boy Zuri!

I had to lift Lila in the car the first time. She screamed like I was murdering her when I went to pick up her back end. She wasn't hurting, it was just as I barely touched her. Now she is a champ at jumping in the car, but doesn't even think of getting up on anything else. The vet thought she would jump onto the exam table. :lol

Lila Football
Jerilyn, missing Lila (Good Looking), new Mistress to Wiki (PJ Wicked).

Well good for you Jen , I'm so glad that Zuri is using the bed and couch with you :) How is he doing? He is so cute :kiss2

He's doing well, thanks. I think he's sad, like I am, but we're both bonding a lot more now (as bad as it may sound, he always played second fiddle to Neyla) and he's what keeps me going. :)

The vet thought she would jump onto the exam table. :lol

:rofl You might want a new vet who understands greyhounds better. ;)

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest d0ggiem0mma

Hahaha, I love the photos of your new couch/bed hound!!!

My Maggie came trained to stay off the furniture and one night I needed to keep an eye on her so I put her in bed (she's only like 55# so it's an easy lift.) Now she hops in the big bed all the time! She's very thoughtful and only jumps up when there's room, like after my husband leaves for work. No luck with the couch though and I suppose that's a good thing since the whippets hardly leave any room for me let alone Maggie!

Guest Adrianne

Awesome! I love it when Chevy gets in the bed with me in the mornings. He snugs up to me as tight as he can get, and we snooze for an hour or two.

:wub: