Gerd

Every morning upon rising Dylan has what sounds like GERD. He doesn't normally vomit, just gag and then it passes. Today, he vomited yellow, stringy bile. I thought he was choking on it. He is on 1/4 of 81mg aspirin for a stroke he had 2 years ago. I also give him an extra strength Pepcid AC with dinner. Is there anything stronger I should try with him??

Bedtime snack or change in food.

One of mine vomited slimy yellow stomach juice almost every morning (5-6 days out of 7) and occasional afternoons before supper (2-3 days out of 7) for months. Changed his food to a completely different brand and it was like turning off a tap, never had the problem again.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Just sending well wishes.

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Guest meakah

I have a cat that does this quite often. I find frequent snacks throughout the day help him....always making sure there is something in his tummy. I have tried different foods and he still has bouts of this for days at a time. Unfortunately, he is a very sensitive boy. :(

Is Prilosec or Prevacid an option does anyone know???

Don't know about those, but Pepcid at bedtime would be. And a bit of a snack and bedtime would help too.

Btw, not saying your dog is hypothyroid, but GERD can be a side effect of that. I do NOT know why! Except that thyroid runs everything, so just about anything can be affected by a deficit. And it happened to me personally. After I got thyroid meds, I didn't need anti-GERD meds anymore.

We had a similar experience to your dog's with our Spencer. Of course, besides untreated hypothyroidism, he also had hookworm which wasn't diagnosed for several months after that. I know that didn't help. Does your dog also make repeatied hawking sounds -- don't really know how to describe it -- as though trying to clear his throat?

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).